Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite songs that you knew every word from a group?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What is your favorite songs that you knew every word from a group?

Old 04-23-03, 11:54 PM
Rest in Peace

What is your favorite groups that you knew every word from the songs?

The Beach Boys these guys were the same age as me, when I was growing up. I knew the words to every song they played, as I have so many albums. Two of them have died, but they're still alive in their music. Personal favorites Surfer Girl, Kokomo, and Do it Again.

Last edited by danol; 04-24-03 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-23-03, 11:58 PM
Banned

I know almost every word from all 5 of Radiohead's albums.
Old 04-24-03, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

T double-O L
Old 04-24-03, 03:01 AM
Banned

Gimme a U. Gimme a 2.
Old 04-24-03, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by monkey
Gimme a U. Gimme a 2.
Lol are you guys on the cheerleading squad? Anyways I know the words to literally every Tool song from Opiate to Lateralus. I also know the words to a lot of Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Radiohead, and Nine Inch Nails songs. My favorite lyrics usually change from time to time, but my current favorite lyrics are from the song "Parabola" by Tool:

Parabola

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment,
We are choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside
This holy reality, this holy experience.
Choosing to be here in

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal
All this pain is an illusion.

Alive, I

In this holy reality, in this holy experience. Choosing to be here in

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal

Twirling round with this familiar parable.
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing.

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember. We are eternal.

I can really connect to these lyrics and relate to them in my everyday life. It might sound corny to you guys but when things aren't going so good for me in a particular day, I just crank up this song and suddenly everything seems better.
Old 04-24-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually can't think of lyrics off of the top of my head, but given the cd I can sing along the whole time without missing a word (OK Computer, The Queen is Dead, Turn on the Bright Lights, and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea).
Old 04-24-03, 10:49 AM

Travis' songs
Old 04-24-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All Beatles, most Pink Floyd and The Talking Heads. Used to know quite a bit of Smiths songs too when I listed to them. Wow - what a waste of braincells that could be used for something productive!
Old 04-24-03, 11:26 AM
Cool New Member

Okay...I am a little different since I worked in radio for over a decade and music is always playing it seems around me (I go crazy in silence)...anyway...

I know all the words to all the songs from Barbara Mandrell's catalog and she has over thirty albums.

I am right up there as well with Pat Benatar, Cher, Expose', and nearly all of Madonna's until the latest two albums when I lost interest in her....

A lot of braincells used up in this post!
Old 04-24-03, 08:17 PM
Rest in Peace

Monster Mash I put it on with all the words to a another post

I guess I'm too old for this Music group, I started listening to music when I was 10 in 1957 46 years ago. I was hoping I would meet some that can remember what feeling groovy was all about.

I have a lot of CDs on the period and DVD concerts, last nights was Bee-Gees: One
Night Only made in 1997 a HBO special from Las Vegas, Nevada. They played songs from 30 years ago and up and a lot of you members are just turning 25 or 35 years old here in 2003!

I put it on a seperate post for it is long but it has every word by Bobby "Boris" Picket and chorus. What a 'ball' we had doing our own thing/dance to this groovy song, put out before many of you were born 41 years ago. It was a #1 hit on the top 40 on Billboards hit list.

Last edited by danol; 04-25-03 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-25-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ice Ice Baby & Baby Got Back
Old 04-25-03, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by danol
I guess I'm too old for this Music group, I started listening to music when I was 10 in 1957 46 years ago. I was hoping I would meet some that can remember what feeling groovy was all about.

I have a lot of CDs on the period and DVD concerts, last nights was Bee-Gees: One
Night Only made in 1997 a HBO special from Las Vegas, Nevada. They played songs from 30 years ago and up and a lot of you members are just turning 25 or 35 years old here in 2003!

We all like our music, but the ones your mentioning like Tool I haven't heard of.
Thanks for responding to an old mans thread.

I guess it's hard to find large groups of old-timers on this internet thing.
Old 04-25-03, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'd rather not mention mine, since everything i listened to growing up was total crap.

you know, like stuff from the album "electric youth"
Old 04-25-03, 11:39 AM
Rest in Peace

Hallowgen

I see you have the word Electric in your sig. I remember every word of "The Electric Prunes" song "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night. Lots of psychodelic tunes I really dug, like Jefferson Airplanes "White Rabbit" a drug song.
Old 04-25-03, 02:54 PM

There's lots of songs to which I know all the lyrics. Most of them are songs that I've performed live, so I don't know if that really counts.

I know all the words to many Dylan songs (which is a feat - his songs have tons of lyrics). Also, a recent fave - "Common People" by Pulp.
Old 04-25-03, 07:03 PM
Rest in Peace

It all counts in this thread, thank you for sharing it with us music lovers not just DVD lovers.
Old 04-26-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can't say I know the lyrics to every Phish song. There's so damn many. I know a majority though. I know the words to most Old 97's, Wilco and Whiskeytown songs as well. At one point, I could probably sing along to almost any Nine Inch Nails song but probably couldn't anymore.
Old 04-26-03, 05:39 PM
Rest in Peace

The Carpenters, The Thomson Twins, and America...I have all their CDs.
Old 04-26-03, 07:01 PM

Funny, now that I think about it, most of the CDs I consider favorites don't have vocals Exceptions being anything from Underworld, Orbital and NIN.

And Underworld and Orbital's vocals are so random and incoherent that it's pretty easy to remember the words since they pretty much make up the melody :-)

Case in point, here's a sniplet from Underworld's "Born Slippy" : "...lager lager lager lager shouting lager lager lager lager shouting lager lager lager shouting mega mega white thing mega mega white thing mega mega white thing mega mega shouting lager lager lager lager shouting lager lager lager lager mega mega white thing mega mega white thing..."
Old 04-26-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
I scared myself on a long midnight drive...

...the moment I realized that I know every single word to the B-52's Wild Planet.

Planet Claire has... pink air... all the trees are red...

Yikes.
Old 04-28-03, 10:06 PM
Rest in Peace

"Love Shack" first heard by large Loud speakers in my speed boat while tweaking speakers. Man the things we did with 12V DC current, talk abut Home Theater. Our crowd had the largest flotilla of Loud speakers going at Lake Wallenpaupak in the Poconos Region near Hawley, PA

13 mile long lake what a blast of speakers going, hot dog roasts while skinny dipping and dancing to dawn. 12 foot starliner with a 1956 30 horse power Mercury outboard name "Angel Blue" driven by a little ol 'music maniac' me.
Old 04-29-03, 09:17 PM
Rest in Peace

^^Bump^^
Old 04-30-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I come pretty close on the Beatles, but there might be one or two I don't know (plus Revolution #9); Most of the Talking Heads as well (but not I Zimbra), X until their last couple of albums.
Old 05-01-03, 01:51 PM

Location: Home of the 2006 Rose Bowl Winners and Future National Champion Ohio State Buckeyes!
All Springsteen, All Queen, All Stones, All Who, All Tim McGraw. I have all their CD's... not to mention a ton of Stones bootlegs. I've got almost 90 Stones CDs (including soundtrack appearances and solo material)