Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: How would you rate Tool?
Great band
50.67%
They're ok
29.33%
They suck!!
16.00%
Who??
4.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Rate Tool

Old 04-24-03, 09:20 PM

What are some of their influences? Do they link Pink Floyd?
Old 04-24-03, 09:27 PM
Suspended

King Crimson is one of their huge influences.
Old 04-24-03, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by mordecai
But if they're intended to add to the songs, why would they exist at all if you're allowing them to be expendable? Wouldn't that be the first sign that they are, in reality, expendable, and serve no real purpose?
Tool, above being an incredible band, also has something called a contract with a record label. I don't think that it is within the interest of the label to sell albums if they make one 78 minute song.

They aren't a garage band making music with a casette, I personally don't see why you are hung up on a little detail like track stops. Tool albums are just that, an album. Their songs have distinct beginnings and ends, but it flows together extremely well. I hope you don't raise such a stink about dvds having chapter stops, i mean its supposed to be one movie right?!? golly
Old 04-25-03, 01:57 AM

The question should be.....who is better than TOOL?

Actually....I'd rather nobody else liked them. Then I could have them all to myself. My own. My TOOL. My precioussssssss.

So....I'm off to listen to some more TOOL. MJK, can you pass that lotion?

Thanks.

Edit: Ćnima has now officially gone triple platinum! Oh....and Blair's April newsletter is now up.

Last edited by G-Rex; 04-25-03 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-25-03, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by inVectiVe
Last thing - when gilbertr76 says, "FWIW, I'm now beginning to dislike Tool somewhat due to the convincing arguments in this thread. " OK, Mr. Winky is noted, but this comes across as a 1-sentence dismissal of pretty much everything in the thread that's been said so far that you don't agree with.
You completely missed my point, which is that no one is going to be convinced one way or the other by the posts in this thread. I in no way intended to dismiss any opinions different than my own. Otherwise, that is what I would have posted.

This is what happens everytime a thread pops up concerning Tool. Everyone seems to be passionate about their opinions of Tool regardless of what those opinions may be. (I have a feeling this is the band's intention.) For whatever reason, people then begin to interpret the posts of others rather than just take them for what they are. This leads to taking things personally and straying from the thread's original intent. In this case, that was to rate Tool and offer personal thoughts of the band. There is no need for a debate here because the matter is completely subjective.

In an attempt to get things back on track, I'll repost my own opinions already stated in this thread:
I absolutely love Tool. Always have, and probably always will. I don't expect everyone to love them, though. To each his own, or something. Some people love Zeppelin. Some people love Rush. Some people love Floyd. And some people love Tool. As far as I'm concerned, these bands all come from the same mold.

I do have to laugh any time I see Tool described as pretentious, self-indulgent, etc. They just have a different approach to making music. For anyone who doesn't realize, Maynard is a freak! He has surrounded himself with a group of guys who are willing to support his freakacity, freaktitude, or whatever you want to call it. I just feel that the end product is simply beautiful and merits my attention.

As for the debate on musicianship, there are more talented, more technical, faster, etc. musicians out there. The boys of Tool are pretty damn_good at what they do, though. What impresses me the most is their ability to put their individual efforts together to form songs and albums. It is in this area that I believe other bands of today cannot touch Tool.

For anyone who doesn't appreciate Tool's use of segueways on their albums, I completely understand. Not your "cup of tea." They don't bother me in the least, though, because I believe that Tool is no longer concerned with just writing songs. They are trying to produce albums. Lateralus is not meant to be listened to a song at a time. It is one piece of work, not a collection of songs. If you listen to each of their albums in chronological order, you can definitely hear the progression toward such an end. Once again, not everyone will or should enjoy such efforts, but I most certainly do.
BTW, can anyone go on a lotion run? MJKTool and G-Rex used it all up.
Old 04-25-03, 02:55 AM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
I'm glad you guys are digging my "orgasmically religious experience" line. [Isn't that what started this "lotion" bit?] I said that because I wanted to stress that my opinion has never been "Tool is no good," but rather "If you're spunking on your stereo when listening to them, you might be overrating them." I intentionally went with "loaded language" to convey the idea that it's only what I see as the *extreme* Tool admiration that I'm arguing against. Also because I have the sense of humor of a 12-year-old and orgasm references make me laugh.

I'm still kinda 50/50 on whether I'll do a track-by-track hatchet job review of Lateralus......
Old 04-25-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still kinda 50/50 on whether I'll do a track-by-track hatchet job review of Lateralus......
I would be interested in hearing your review. That is what this is all about right?

If I get some time, I'll counter with my own.
Old 04-25-03, 10:52 AM
Suspended

I intentionally went with "loaded language" to convey the idea that it's only what I see as the *extreme* Tool admiration that I'm arguing against.
I dont understand. Why are you trying to do this? Why do you care if Tool fans have an extreme admiration for this band? What difference does it make? Myself and many others have a deep connection to this band through different reasons. I dont care if there is a faster drummer, better guitar player, etc out there. These 4 guys combined touch me personally, and their aint no way in white hell you will convince me otherwise. I'm not trying to come off as harsh, but thats just the way it is for myself and many other Tool fans. Now putting that aside I also would be interested in an unbiased review about Lateralus from ya without trying to sway people to not nut over them.
Old 04-25-03, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
I dont understand. Why are you trying to do this? Why do you care if Tool fans have an extreme admiration for this band? What difference does it make? Myself and many others have a deep connection to this band through different reasons. I dont care if there is a faster drummer, better guitar player, etc out there. These 4 guys combined touch me personally, and their aint no way in white hell you will convince me otherwise. I'm not trying to come off as harsh, but thats just the way it is for myself and many other Tool fans. Now putting that aside I also would be interested in an unbiased review about Lateralus from ya without trying to sway people to not nut over them.
Couldn't have put it better myself
Old 04-25-03, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by Chim
Tool, above being an incredible band, also has something called a contract with a record label. I don't think that it is within the interest of the label to sell albums if they make one 78 minute song.
That doesn't match up with how artisticly minded and unrestricted that is being tooted, which is the basis for that question to begin with.

Few, long, long tracks on an album that's on even major labels is not out of the ordinary. I can think of one that came out last year that is an hour, and only 4 tracks.

They aren't a garage band making music with a casette
Could you elaborate on how that relates?

I personally don't see why you are hung up on a little detail like track stops. Tool albums are just that, an album. Their songs have distinct beginnings and ends, but it flows together extremely well. I hope you don't raise such a stink about dvds having chapter stops, i mean its supposed to be one movie right?!? golly
I don't see how it's that big of a hang up. I merely asked the question, in response to being told that they don't fear long tracks because it's all part of it. It seems silly that a band with that mentality would put intros as their own, seperate, tracks, if they're inteded to be the begining of the next track. They certainly aren't interesting on their own right.
Old 04-25-03, 05:21 PM
Banned

Brace yourselves! Here it is, as promised - the definitive review of Lateralus!

Actually, it's hardly "definitive." Basically, I listened to the *entire* album [working overtime to quash my Skip Button Reflex] last night and wrote down random thoughts. Unfortunately, it amounts to little more than a minute-by-minute gauge of my enjoyment of each song: Hmm....I like this groove they establish a 1:10, but not so much this chunk at 4:27. That type of stuff.

Anyway, let's begin.

(1) The Grudge. Best song on the disc, and probably one of Tool's top 3 or so songs EVER. Incredibly catchy guitar / drum sound early on that really gets my head movin'. Song builds gradually in the opening minutes, but - here's the key - it's always interesting. I'm loving the big curve they throw at 3:52 where they whip out that funky riff! In fact, once I'd memorized the song, I decided that there was probably nothing I'd change about it; upon my initial couple listens I had felt the transition to softness at 4:48 was too abrupt. Now, however, I think it's quite fitting. Also cool was how at 6:25 they "brought the song back to where it started" (sort of) by returning to that steadily-increasing drum beat trick. The home stretch is amazing, with the long scream, the "Let go!" buildup, and a fantastic final 30 seconds. Wow!

(2) Eon Blue Apocalypse. As Tool segues go, this one is slightly less obnoxious than usual. Too bad it leads into.....

(3) The Patient. As we open, we're "treated" to a stagnant riff that reminds me of that old song by The Police. Dull first couple minutes until Songwriting 101 compels the boys to get "heavy" at 2:21 - too bad this part is even less creative than the soft one! Now's the right time to contrast this with a song like "Forty-Six & 2," which is similarly low-key for the initial minute or two. But even in that tune's "quiet" parts, there's an undeniable intensity just below the surface, threatening to explode at any moment. So that, when they DO switch to the heavy part ("My sha-doooooooow!"), it feels like a natural progression. "The Patient," on the other hand, is forced and artificial. I don't even reach the halfway mark when I start thinking, "This song is shaping up to be..........'shapeless.'" And it never fully recovers, shifting gears into whiny pseudo-singing, an annoying guitar sound, and one of the most anti-climactic "climaxes" ("Must keep reminding.....") I've heard. A passable finish can't redeem this flat, 7-minute misfire.

(4) Mantra. "As Tool segues go, this one is slightly less obnoxious than usual. Too bad it leads into....."

(5) Schism. I use the word "pretentious" when I detect a distinct separation between what a work of art is trying to do and what it actually does. Here, I get an odd twangy sound that seems designed to seduce me into some kind of Eastern trance - but succeeds only in putting me to sleep. Not quite the desired effect. The vocal performance comes off as dis-interested and phoned-in [and recall I also hate Maynard's vox on "HwaP," so don't assume I only like yelling and screaming]. The song is incredibly repetitive for the opening 3+ minutes, with only a Standard Chunky Tool Riff tossed in at 2:16 for *some* variety, then switches to ambient nonsense after 3:30. Yep, they're still attempting to hypnotize me, yet still managing only to bore me. Next comes another not-very-moving vocal apex ("Between supposed....."), after which the song "comes alive" somewhat for a solid finish that is, again, hardly enough to justify the entire piece.

(6) Parabol. Boring, aimless, informal exercise in which Reverend Maynard tries to use a singing voice that I don't think he actually, you know, has. It's my impression that some Tool fans deem the transition into track 7 totally splooge-worthy, which I'll never understand.

(7) Parabola. Mixed feelings on this one. It doesn't sound quite like any other Tool song I can think of, so I applaud them for trying new things. It's just that, it does bear more than a passing resemblance to the kind of rock that was labeled "alternative" in the early 90s, then relentlessly shoved down the throats of everyone who had a radio. Regardless, it's decent, it kinda pumps me up, but it staggers to a disappointing finish around 4:45 (nothing wrong with clocking in at sub-5-minutes). Curiously, though, the actual track doesn't terminate until past the 6 min. mark. I wonder why they did that........?

(8) Ticks & Leeches. Sweet drum intro, and a riff that "gets under my skin" like a.........well, you know. Also appreciating the intensity of the vocal delivery. I like the chorus, as well as the effect of hearing cymbals in both ears (if using headphones) during the "I hope you choke" part. But they just couldn't resist the urge to pad the length with over 2.5 minutes in which almost nothing happens. This utterly sucks out the momentum they'd built up, prompting me to wonder if I'm even listening to the same song? Just before the 6 minute milestone, they try to resurrect the vibe they'd worked so hard to achieve, but had proceeded to flush down the toilet. "Hey, remember a couple minutes ago when this was the most in-your-face tune on the album? We're gonna try and recapture that!" Funky drumming, more intense vox, and a memorable finish *almost* make me forgive the shameless padding. But not quite.

(9) Lateral(i? u?)s. Another song with a soft opening, but luckily for us, it's NOT one of their plodding soft openings. Works its way nicely to the Chunky Tool Crunchy Sound. The segment where the guitar and bass take a backseat as Maynard is accompanied pretty much only by a tom-heavy drum beat begs the question, "Did The Matrix change something? 'Cuz I just had some deja-vu!" Oh well, even if I heard a similar passage a mere 2 songs ago, I can tolerate it, because it's pleasing to my ears. My favorite Little Touch they added to this song is how the first time they build to the "Overthinking, overanalyzing" line, it's preceded by a 1-2-3-4 / 5-6-7-8. But the second time, it's an abbreviated 1-2-3-4, then straight to the lyrics. Those are the minor details that I look for in music, and find all too infrequently on this album. In a shocking coincidence, this song suddenly goes quiet at exactly 4:48 - precisely when "The Grudge" did the same! But, also reminiscent of the album's opener, the mood change fits well into the overall experience. My only beef with the rest of the song is the attempt at a "guitar solo" (?) that kicks in at 6:41. It......it doesn't come off too well. No big deal, though, as the final couple minutes are very successful and propel this tune to be the disc's second strongest.

(10) Disposition. As with "Parabol," I wouldn't call this unlistenable by any means, but it's unfocused and entirely skip-worthy. Especially when I have great difficulty buying into the idea that this is "part of the same song" as........

(11) Reflection. This time Maynard & The Heartbreakers choose to ignore what they'd learned in Songwriting 101, as they take a pleasant, relaxing groove, then run it into the ground via unending repetition. This must set some kind of record for Fewest Tempo Changes in an Epic Length Song. Not a big fan of the spaced-out vocal effects, though I am happy the words "self-indulgent" were uttered. Appropriate comparison: AEnima's album-closer "Third Eye." I enjoy that song (even if part of me views it as an informal jam session as opposed to a cohesive work) because you can tell a lot of time and effort went into writing it. I don't get the same impression from Lateralus's attempt at an "epic," which just drones on and on until it finally stumbles to a surprisingly low-key conclusion. "But," you'll instruct me, "the song continues as 'Triad'!" Fair enough.

(12) Triad. Interesting choice to go all-instrumental for the last proper song. Some simple yet catchy riffs, but it's quite repetitive, and then it just kind of.......fades out. C'mon, couldn't you have pulled out all the stops and come up with an ending that would rival that of "AEnema" (the song)?

(13) I'd feel like a dick if I bothered to write the title of this track, so I won't. Two minutes of silence, and a paranoid phone call with fuzzy noise in the background. Whatever.

Final thoughts: You may have noticed I didn't mention much about the lyrics. That's because for me, they're just kind of there. Nothing that inspires me to live a better life, but nothing that makes me exclaim, "Cripes, this borders on death metal stupidity!" I care more about HOW the words are being delivered - whether it's done with feeling and conviction ("Ticks & Leeches") or detached ennui ("Reflection"). So Maynard's contribution, like the record as a whole, is hit-and-miss.

Probably the most glaring failure of Lateralus is the dearth of those Little Moments I discussed. To me, a truly great song holds my attention from beginning to end, but I can't deny that there are often stretches even within a tune whose impact is uniquely powerful. I'll use "AEnema" (the song) again as an example. Sure, the 6:30 (I think?) duration is never boring, but the ending of that song is among the most thrilling Tool has ever produced. It is my belief that "AEnima" (the album) had a much more robust stock of these Little Moments than does its follow-up.

I guess that's what my lukewarm reaction to Lateralus boils down to. Despite its 80-minute running time, it's sorely lacking in the kind of creative touches that would force me to listen to it over and over.
Old 04-25-03, 06:05 PM
Suspended

Nice thought out review inVectiVe, even though I disagree

The only song review I agree with you on is The Grudge. Everything you said is exactly how I feel about it. Definetly in my top Tool songs of all time list.

As far as the others, it just goes to show you how subjective music can be for different people. You hate The Patient, yet I love it and is one of my favorite tracks on the album. I love how the guitar and vocals just melt together. One of Maynards best vocal performances yet (behind Orestes imo).

Next comes another not-very-moving vocal apex ("Between supposed....."),
Yet again, this is probably my favorite part of Schism, his vocals give me chills when I hear that line.

Its funny that Ticks & Leeches is one of your favorites on the album, yet is the 1 song on the album I listen to the least.

I guess it can be summed up like this "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
Old 04-25-03, 06:25 PM

In the end it's all subjective. Even Tool fans argue about what songs they think are the best and what songs they don't like as much. I'll have to say that invective did make a thought out review of the disc. But I disagree with him in a lot of respects. Including his thoughts on "The Patient" which is believe it or not one of my favorite Tool songs, "Schism" (another Tool song that I love), and the fact that you say Maynard doesn't have a good voice. I would like to hear who you think has a better voice than Maynard in rock music today?. I certainly don't think anyone comes even close. The only other singer I can think of who is almost as good as Maynard is Chris Cornell of Audioslave.
Old 04-25-03, 08:59 PM
Banned

"Maynard doesn't have a good voice" isn't *quite* what I'm saying. Some songs, I really dig his performance; others, I don't. It's more that he doesn't IMHO have the voice to do everything he tries to do with it. But what do I know? I've never attempted to hide the fact that I have no formal musical training, so maybe Maynard took thousands of hours of voice lessons to prep for Lateralus and that album represent his "best" vocals yet. To me, there are PARTS where he seems to be reaching for something that's beyond his grasp.

When I said I wasn't gonna name-drop, I meant it. I feel there are enough things I like about Tool that, rather than say, "I don't like 'The Patient' because Band X has a better song called 'Blank,'" it's more effective to leave it at "I don't like 'The Patient' because Tool is capable of blending hard / soft much more successfully, as on 'Forty-Six & 2.'"

So, WRT the vocals, I don't feel it's constructive to get into "The singer from Band X is better." When I dis an MJK performance, I might as well measure it against another of his performances that I DO like. "Intolerance" would be a good example; so would "Eulogy."
Old 04-25-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very well thought out review, I'm glad you did it. I'm gonna do my own, but likely won't be able to for a few days, I'm kinda busy lately.

Obviously I don't share the same opinion as you once you get pass "the grudge" but I COMPLETELY respect your objectivity and review as a whole.

Thanks
Old 04-26-03, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for posting your opinions, inVectiVe. Even those that I don't agree with help me to look at some of the songs from a slightly different angle. This is one of the things I love about Tool. Virtually everything is left up to interpretation. Isn't that the purpose of music anyway?

I think that I'll also do a little critique of Lateralus and post the results. Should happen sometime Saturday afternoon when the wifey goes to ge her hair prettied up.
Old 04-26-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As promised

My review or thought on Lateralus. Please forvgive me for the poor grammar, I didn't bother to proof it.

---------------

1)The Grudge
The opening drum beat and guitar riff are sick, they pull me in immediately, you can’t escape that groove. As the song builds, I’m totally into it. Loving all of it, then @ around 3:30 the drums are intense, and about 3:52 they switch gears entirely and bring the song to a new place. WOW. From beginning to end, my interest is always peaked, and no matter how often I hear I can find something new to chew on. The drums at the end are unreal. (for what it’s worth, this is so much fun to play on guitar as well.) Easily one of my top 2 Tool songs. Eulogy being the other as I previously mentioned.

2)Eon Blue Apocalypse
A simple little passage for me goes a long way, the simplicity of the notes played here is to note, really pulls you down from “the grudge” and leads nicely into…

3)The Patient
Starts with a nice little riff, which alters slightly around 1 minute. MJK drops in with some lyrics singing closer to A Perfect Circle than Tool, but for me it works, the lyrics suggest some turmoil, as does his voice. At 2:20ish the song gets heavier per typical Tool fashion, and excellent but basic guitar riff follows nicely. I’m not a drummer, but songs like this make me wish I was, I love the drum beats on this album. At 4:30 the songs drops off, but not long, ant about 4:40 it shapes up and builds upon a huge chunky riff, then around 5:25 another nice guitar part, soloish but not really, more of a melodic accompaniment to the vocals. Works well for me, then at around 6:40 the song drops off and ends very quietly. I kinda wish that they would have ended it on a heavier note around 6:30 or so. I still love it either way.

4)Mantra
Nothing really going on here, take it or leave it I suppose.

5)Schism
3 chords start the song, followed by an intoxicating riff that I simply love. What makes this song is the lyrics for me, the music is there, and quite good. But I’m a lyric guy, and no one does em’ better the MJK. There is such symbolism in this song, and such to be learned. This song really reminds me of 9/11, not sure that is a good thing, but I try and avoid it. But lyrically you can’t deny the attachment to that day. Even though they were not intended that way, as it was written before then.
At 2:22 the songs drops into a wicked groove, then later at 4:05ish there is a really sweet little guitar part, and I love the effect used on it. At 6 minutes the song really builds to a huge crescendo, wow, the ends abrubtly just as I would have liked. Contrary to “The Patient” as I said above.

6)Parabol and
7) Parabola
I’m going to speak about Parabol and Parabola together because they sound like one song to me, intended or not, that is how I listen. I hate when I hear Parabola on the radio cuz it just starts right in, without the build the Parabol offers up. Very simple, but so full of feeling, the contradiction between the 2 “parts” is amazing. The build at the beginning of the actual track “Parabola” is so intense, give me goosebumbs everyt time. The songs start off with a sweet guitar riff, followed by typically intense drums. This is one of my favorite songs on the album. The song really takes off around 4 minutes for me, MJK comes in “this body holding me….” With a ridiculous guitar riff to go with it. Then it slows right down just seconds later, bringing me to another place. Ending calmly from a riff in Parabol.

8) Ticks & Leeches
Sucked me in (pun intended) right in with the opening drum/bass beat, great guitar volume build. At about 1 minute, I’m ready to break stuff, then MJK with his most intense delivery ont this album. When I first heard MJK sing this way, I was like holy crap what is he screaming for, but it really fits the mood of the song. “this is what your getting” “I hope your choking…” WOAH! The music takes a back seat to the vocals in this song, cleary MJK is pissed, the music is great, but MJK’s vocals on this track are in the forefront, and for good reason. At 3:27 a surprising slowness, not expected, but that is what makes it Tool imo. Throughout the drop, distorted vocals are heard but not entirely clear as to what is being said. The songs starts to slowly bring you back up as the drums enter at about the 5 minute mark, a cymbol hit at 5:56 then nothing….6 minutes the song reaches right back and kicks me in the ass, “SUCK ME DRY” holy crap! Then sick double-bass drum at about 7 minutes takes meeven higher up this ladder of anger. Then ends violently at about 8 minutes.

9) Lateralus
Nice soft guitar intro, heartbeat coming down from the ending of “ticks..” drums slowly evolve into the song, and about 1:13 the crunchy guitar I’ve come to love comes pouring into the song. Gone is the guitar at about 1:35, just MJK and the drum and bass. Very percussive and intense, the guitar rejoins the pace at about 2:10. “ I embrace my desire toI embrace my desire tofeel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widowto feel inspired to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral to swing on the spiral to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human.” is such a grat passage, because it really parallels the way I feel about Tool’s music and the ride that it takes me on. At 7:20 this song hits it’s high point for me, I love the guitar, sounds so raw. I can’t get enough. “We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.”

10) Disposition
I use this opportunity to cool down a bit. The bongos in this track give it a really good vibe. Nothing much in the way of lyrics here. This is the first track in the album that gets a little repetitive for me, mostly because MJK isn’t saying much other than “watch the weather change” but that to me is an indication that the album is about to change.

11) Reflection
And it does. A swell little drum effect starts this song off, followed by a riff and some digital effects. I’ll be honest, this song is very repetitive and I’m not sure that I enitirely dig the vocal effects. It finally changes up around 6:30 with a riff variation that I like a lot. I’m not feeling a lot in this song, until the vocal effect disappears around the 7 minute mark, then we get some tempo changes and vocal variations, a little solo of sort. But, not enough to erase the lull I felt in the beginning of the song. A good song, but not as powerful as I would have like it. It clocks in at over 11 minutes. When I saw them play this live, Adam played the last chord progression for over 10 minutes alone, I’ll be honest again. I wanted to kill myself, BLAH! Perhaps that is why I’m left with a bad taste in my mouth with this song.

12) Triad
Continues on reflection, much bigger though. Excellent opening crunchiness from the guitar. Song is an instrumental, and a good one. Full of peaks and valleys. Kind of disappointed that the last of vocals are well behind me, I wantt to hear more of what MJK has to say. Oh well, solid conclusion to the musical aspect of this album either way. I would have loved to hear a more brutal ending, but I guess it wasn’t meant to be.

13) Faaip De Oiad
Very interesting way to end the album, delayed almost 2 full minutes. It is a eerie phone call from a former Area 51 employee. He is freaking out. Not sure what place it has here, or what Tool’s connection to it is. But it is a fun little ending, a little painful on the ears at times though!
Old 04-26-03, 04:22 PM
Suspended

Can I play?

Alright these previous reviews have inspired me to write one as well
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Grudge - Hands down my favorite song on the album, if not favorite Tool song period. This song is just sick, never staying in one place always progressing to an amazing ending! The drumming on this song, what can you say!? Danny turns it up 10 notches on this song, and his drumming on the end of the song makes me want to go nuts every time I hear it! Danny is Mr. Alien! But lets not forget Maynard either. He puts together various types of vocal deliveries throughout the song. He even starts out the song with a voice that I've never heard from him before. The scream!! When I listened to this cd for the first time, lounging back late at night in a dark room I could not believe how long he held that scream! The fact that he can hold a note with so much ferocity for so long still amazes me, and the fact that he can hold it consistenly night after night live is even more amazing, no studio magic here, no second chances, 1 chance is all you get and he rarely misses it! One last thing about this song, seeing it live is such a blessing. If anyone went to the 2002 shows, you'll know what Im talking about. When they first start this song and they drop that big curtain to reveal that amazing huge red backdrop, its just something to be witnessed!

Eon Blue Apocalypse - Nice little haunting segment to the next track. I've always liked it.

The Patient - This song is all about the vocals for me. The way that Maynard sings the song is almost like he is melting his voice with the guitar on this one. This is singing like he has never done before with Tool. You can definetly hear the APC influence here. To be honest when I first heard about the APC album it kinda worried me, would Maynard be back with Tool? But after all was said and done it was a blessing in disguise. Being in that group has really stepped up his singing in a huge way. Also I really love the guitar riffs in this song!

Mantra - The 2nd and last seg track. Not much to say about it, take it or leave it I guess.

Schism - This was the first & only song I heard before the album was released. Love the beginning bass intro & LOVE the ending! Adam & Maynard compliment each other SO well when Maynard sings the line "between supposed.." Crank that the volume up during that part...wheew I LOVE IT! Then comes the alien again, Mr. Carrey. God I love his drumming right here! And then before you know it! BAM the song is over! It leaves you desperately wanting more from the boys!

Parabol (a) - This is one song...period!! I CANNOT listen to Parabola without Parabol. You cannot get that monsterous intro to Parabola without its companion. This song surprised the hell out of me when I first heard. It was nothing like I've heard from Tool before. The guitar riff is just insane on this one. It reminds me of a deep trip on acid or something! (yes I experimented when I was younger ) Maynard has done something he has never done before that Im aware of with Tool...harmony! "In this HOLY" you have different layers of singing and I love it! Great Great song!

Ticks & Leeches - I'd say the hardest song they have ever done slightly passing Jerk Off. Maynard was quoted saying that he lost his voice for awhile after laying down this track in the studio and IT SHOWS!! Try to do a angry, long dry scream like that and lets see how your vocal cords feel afterwords!! This song is all about letting out pent up agression towards the music industry and their label. You can tell Maynard is PISSED! on this one, and rightfully so. Tool was almost no more due to the crappy dealings with their Label. And how about about Danny!! WOW, LOVE the double bass on this one!!
Now I would like to comment on the "calm down period" on this song. Here is how I look at it and why I love it so much. If you listen closely during the silence you can hear Maynard with somekind of soft demon voice in the background. Its almost like someone or something is holding him back and he want out SOO much!!...what is that someone or something! Its the record label!! He finally lets loose and lets his record label have it!! with SUCKING ME DRY!!
A perfect fit for the song and what its about...their record label holding back Tool for a few years! I LOVE IT!

Lateralus - Classic Tool!! The soft little guitar intro for this song is classic! Then breaking out into another awesome riff! The song then slows down for a second, then comes the crazy tribal drumming with only Maynard singing, then comes the funky bass, then comes Adam! The comes "overthing, overanalyzing.." haha I love it!! Love the ending on this, LOVE the guitar solo, love everything about this song! another winner!

Disposition - Part 1 of the 3 part trilogy. A very nice calming down, relaxing song.

Disposition - Part 2 of the 3 part trilogy. I must be the only one who diggs the vocal effects on this track...oh well hehe. I have to admit that this song can get a little repetetive some times. Just my opinion but if they would have trimmed it somewhat It would be awesome. Thats not to say I dont like it though. A groovy, relaxing track that takes awhile, but finally leads to a nice little ending. I think db mentioned the ending guitar riff that seemed to last forever live. I agree it kinda was getting me jumpy as well. Adam did this live during the 2001 tour, I guess extending the break for the rest of the guys to catch their breath for a bit. He really didnt do it during the 2002 shows. Only for a couple minutes while they set up the second drum set for Triad, which leads us too.....

Triad - I love this song, BUT I love the live version SOOO much better. Those who have seen it live know what Im talking about. Its almost like the album version is beeing held back. This song is ALL about Danny. This man is soo awesome on this song live, its just sick! You can always tell Tool is having a good time playing this song live because they always have big smiles on their faces. Hopefully this will be on the live DVD coming out so those who have not seen this live can!

Faaip De Oiad - Not really sure what to say about this one, just dont listen to it while on drugs....or do listen to it if you like that sort of trip! hehe

Last edited by MJKTool; 04-26-03 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-26-03, 05:02 PM

Wow good job reviewing Lateralus guys!
Old 04-27-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good job,pretty much spot on,I also think Reflections is a great song live but boring on disc,there is something about that very last riff that they extended just put chills down my spine,I think the song was writen with the intentions of it being live or I should say better live.
Old 04-27-03, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by DVDHO
I think the song was writen with the intentions of it being live or I should say better live.
So you're saying the band, who no doubt rehearsed the song live before recording it, conciously put to tape a version (that will be the version accessed for years to come) that is not as good as they can normally make it just so they can add something to the live show?
Old 04-27-03, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by mordecai
So you're saying the band, who no doubt rehearsed the song live before recording it, conciously put to tape a version (that will be the version accessed for years to come) that is not as good as they can normally make it just so they can add something to the live show?
Dude why don't you stop attacking people for their opinions, he just said he liked the live version better for christ sakes.
Old 04-27-03, 02:50 PM

That was a question, not an attack, and saying what the band's intentions without providing some form of document to prove it does not make it an opinion at all.
Old 04-27-03, 02:50 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Capo2002
Dude why don't you stop attacking people for their opinions, he just said he liked the live version better for christ sakes.
jesus christ, no kidding!
Old 04-27-03, 02:55 PM

If either of you bothered to read the post you're overreacting about, you'd see that it had nothing to do with liking the live version more, but myself wanting to know why a band would intentionally write a song, then record an inferior version, so that it may be better live. I was under the impression that when going into a studio to committ your writing to what will become historical documentation of your work, you'd capture the very best, and representational version of the songs you had written. That has nothing to do with it being better live, or worse live, but the quote of it being written to be better live. It would be written before recorded, so there would be plenty of time to have the recorded version be just as great. I know I'm repeating this over and over in this post, but that's because I want to know the answer, and not have a multitude of more reactions that completely miss any sense of what I had bluntly, explicitly, and repetitively said.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.