DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Biggest Wastes of Talent - By Death: Murder, Suicide, or Accident (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/286693-biggest-wastes-talent-death-murder-suicide-accident.html)

fallow 04-20-03 04:21 PM

Originally posted by sherm42
How about Ian Curtis of Joy Division.
:thumbsup:

Glad someone made the call.

-edited to add-

I don't recall seeing this name on anyone's lists, but I may be wrong: Jeff Buckley

BenFolds 04-21-03 10:25 AM

Jeff Buckley had one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard and its just depressing that he never had a chance to reach his full potential.

fmian 04-21-03 01:57 PM

I mentioned Jeff Buckley in the 8th post of this thread. I'm surprised no one noticed considering what I actually said.

fallow 04-21-03 03:43 PM

Originally posted by fmian
I mentioned Jeff Buckley in the 8th post of this thread. I'm surprised no one noticed considering what I actually said.
Oh, I remember reading that now...I came back and edited my post a day after originally posting it. Sorry, about that.

Buttmunker 04-22-03 09:34 AM

Originally posted by shanester
Otis Redding was just beginning to become a big R&B star after his Monterey performance and he dies 6 months later
The real irony is that Otis Redding recorded Dock of the Bay, his biggest hit, three days before dying in an airplane.

Poink 04-22-03 07:43 PM

Mark Sandman from Morphine, especially since he died performing, although it was a heart attack rather than a true accident.

Nick Drake hasn't been metnioned yet, to my knowledge, although I think he was listed in the other "biggest waste of talent" thread. You know, the one that isn's quite as morbid as this one.

Joe Strummer needs to be mentioned, especially since he was just getting started with his new band, some 15 years after The Clash broke up. It's a shame that a legend who still had more to give dies at age 50 from a heart attack while say, Keith Richards manages to stay alive forever no matter how much heroin goes through his body. Nothing against Keef.. just suprises me how some of the old guard have managed to hang on for so long given their lifestyle.

BJacks 04-22-03 07:52 PM

Has anyone mentioned D. Boon from the Minutemen yet? If not, there ya go.

Scot1458 04-24-03 11:26 AM

what about Mozart? Talk about right at the heigh of your career, he didn't even get to finish his Requim, which sucks now that others completed it.

there's a wasted talent for you.

BDB 04-24-03 01:26 PM

Richey edwards from manic street preachers :(

Poink 04-24-03 07:07 PM

Good choice on Richey. Don't know if he's actually dead or not, but either way it's not like we're gonna be hearing anything from him soon.

edytwinky 04-28-03 05:50 AM

Chris Wallace (B.I.G.)

wendersfan 04-28-03 07:58 AM

I think the main people would be Buddy Holly, Otis Redding, and Gram Parsons. In each case they died at the peak of their careers. Others, like Elvis Presley, while their deaths were tragic, were not as artistically as relevant as they had been earlier in their careers.

A comment about Richey/Manic Street Preachers - I think their best work (Everything Must Go) came as a result of his "disappearance", so they are one act that sadly benefitted from loss.

Broncos5121 04-28-03 11:10 AM

Anyone that questions Layne Staley's talent, hasn't listened to the Mad Season cd all the way through.

So true, so true. Wake Up is much harder to listen to now. :(

As for another artist, I would say Jacqueline Du Pre. One of the best cellists ever. Died way too young.

I would hate to lose Jerry Cantrell, Chris Cornell or MJK anytime soon.

SCSIMan

dasmooth1 04-28-03 01:17 PM

Anyone heard of bob marley? he went way too soon in my opinion..