Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Radiohead is playing Long Island

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-12-03, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Along with a bunch of very good artists. Ahhh... satisfaction. 20 minutes from my house! Gloat factor = 10.

Here's the news:

w.a.s.t.e is very pleased to announce that Radiohead will be playing the Field Day festival on the 7th June 2003.
To follow is all the information you need.
w.a.s.t.e will have an allocation of tickets which will be on sale via www.waste.uk.com from Tuesday 15th April.

There will be 3 ticket options for sale via w.a.s.t.e
1 day ticket for Saturday 7th June $65.00 plus booking fee
Weekend ticket without camping $120.00 plus booking fee
Weekend ticket with camping $150.00 plus booking fee

Field Day Quick Facts:

What: Field Day - A two-day music, arts and camping festival

When: June 7th and 8th

Where: Enterprise Park at Calverton
Calverton, NY
70 Miles East of New York City on the North
Fork of Long Island

Who: Saturday, June 7
Radiohead
Beck
Thievery Corporation
Spiritualized
Beth Orton
Interpol
Royksopp
Liz Phair
Tortoise
TheRaveonettes
Ben Lee
My Morning Jacket
Gemma Hayes
22-20s
Trachtenberg Family Slideshow Players
And More!

Sunday, June 8
The Beastie Boys
Sigur Ros
The Roots
Blur
Elliott Smith
N.E.R.D.
Blackalicious
Peanut Butter Wolf
The Music
Polyphonic Spree
Le Tigre
And More!

On Sale: Friday, April 18 at 10:00AM. Tickets available at www.fielddayfest.com and via Ticketmaster - 212-317-7171, 631-888-9000, 201-507-8900, www.ticketmaster.com and at all
Ticketmaster outlets.

Tickets: There are three different ticket types: Single Day ticket, 2-Day pass, and 2-Day pass with camping. Single Day tickets start at $65 per day (plus applicable service charges)until May 1, or while supplies last. Discounts apply for a 2-Day pass. A camping fee is added to the price of the 2-Day pass.

Info: All information, including tickets, directions, art expo, food, drinks, camping, etc. at www.fielddayfest.com -- Launching Monday, April 14th.

Further Field Day Details:

There are three different ticket types:

* Single Day Ticket - Can be purchased for Saturday, June 7th or Sunday, June 8th. Parking lot for day purchases will open at 8am on the day for which you've purchased. Do not come earlier, you won't get in.

* Two-Day Pass - Ideal for those staying offsite in a hotel or for those of you within easy driving distance. Parking lots open each morning at 8am. Two-Day pass offers a $10 discount from the price of two Single Day tickets.

* Two-Day Pass with Camping - Allows you to camp on Saturday and Sunday night. Price for camping is $30.

Ticket prices will increase as the date of the event nears. There is a limited supply of tickets in each price range. Once the allocation in each price range has sold out, ticket prices will automatically increase to the next price level. Field Day may sell out. Don't be left out in the cold - buy early!

Single Ticket Two day pass Two-Day with Camping

April 18 - April 30*
$65.00 $120.00 $150.00

May 1 - May 31*
$75.00 $140.00 $170.00

June 1 - June 8*
$85.00 $160.00 $190.00

* or until supplies last

Seating:
The concert is general admission - there is no seating.

HOTELS
For those of you who prefer not to camp, but are coming for the weekend, we have listed on our site (www.fielddayfest.com) some of the hotels that are within a half an hour to 45-minute radius of the Field Day site. You can also check out other hotels with the Long Island Visitors Bureau at www.licvb.com
We strongly urge you to book your rooms early, as they will fill up quickly!
Old 04-12-03, 10:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Radiohead is playing Long Island

Originally posted by zutroy
[B

Ticket prices will increase as the date of the event nears. There is a limited supply of tickets in each price range. Once the allocation in each price range has sold out, ticket prices will automatically increase to the next price level. Field Day may sell out. Don't be left out in the cold - buy early!

Single Ticket Two day pass Two-Day with Camping

April 18 - April 30*
$65.00 $120.00 $150.00

May 1 - May 31*
$75.00 $140.00 $170.00

June 1 - June 8*
$85.00 $160.00 $190.00

* or until supplies last

[/B]
This is such an American bullsh*t money tactic. The brits who have the best music fests IMO don't do this tacky type of thing.
Old 04-13-03, 12:32 AM
Cool New Member

omg. that is an amazing lineup. i think it's easily worth the high ticket price.
Old 04-13-03, 02:08 AM

Re: Re: Radiohead is playing Long Island

Originally posted by Giles
This is such an American bullsh*t money tactic. The brits who have the best music fests IMO don't do this tacky type of thing.
IMO it is definitely worth it - how is this tacky? That lineup is ridiculous.

I require further explanation.
Old 04-14-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great.

So now the west coast has Coachella and the east cost has this.

When will there be a major festival in the midwest?

Huh, when?
Old 04-14-03, 02:25 PM

The official website is up and there are more artists announced not on the previous list (Underworld for example).

http://www.fielddayfest.com/
Old 04-15-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

hmm... this is interesting... particle seems a little out of whack here, but overall, this isn't a bad lineup.. a lot of bands i've never heard of, but radiohead, beasties, beck, the roots, particle, and beth orton are making me really consider going to this..

yeah, i'd say tix are a little expensive, considering the gathering of the vibes is 4 days and costs less... looks like i better make up my mind before april 30th though!
Old 04-15-03, 08:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: Radiohead is playing Long Island

Originally posted by zutroy
IMO it is definitely worth it - how is this tacky? That lineup is ridiculous.

I require further explanation.
the idea to have the tickets go up in price as the event gets closer is tacky, not the lineup. I hope Royksopp can play additional cities this time around (ahem, DC)

So what's the deal: one stage or mutiple stages? Dance tent?
Old 04-17-03, 02:13 PM

sigur ros?!? im there!
Old 05-28-03, 07:41 AM

so, over at Pitchforkmedia.com they are saying the festival is in jeopardy over underestimated police control and "bird" problems.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/03-05/28.shtml

has this gone to the birds... is the festival still happening?
Old 05-28-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

5.28 – Press conference today at 2:30pm with Riverhead Chief of Police and Town Supervisor. Check your local news for more information.

Statement from Andrew Dreskin, executive producer of the Field Day Music Festival, Calverton, LI, NY:
"We are moving ahead with the permitting process in an effort to keep the Field Day Music Festival on track. The notice of denial was premature; generally permits for mass gatherings in New York State are issued 48 hours prior to the event. We are continuing to work closely with the Town of Riverhead and Riverhead Police, with ongoing meetings scheduled for this evening."

"Obviously we are disappointed by the statement from the Health Department but it appears to be based more on procedural issues than substantive problems. We believe we can resolve this issue quickly so that we can stage a festival that benefits the town, the county and a world wide audience that seeks to enjoy Field Day and the Riverhead area."
Old 06-04-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So it looks like Field Day Long Island is canceled!

They are now doing a ONE DAY show at Giant's stadium this Saturday.
Tickets went onsale about an hour ago.

I'm tempted, Long Island was just WAY TOO FAR of a drive for me, and didn't want to stay overnight for a two day show, and deal with all the traffic issues.

Now that it's at Giant's Stadium it would cut my drive in 1/2 and it's only one day.
But I don't know if I can go so last minute now!

I was offered GA floor tix, or if I wanted lower level I could of gotten 7th row.
Old 06-04-03, 08:02 PM

Yeah...I'm definately not going to this Giants Stadium show. I mean, Giants Stadium is a 15 minute drive from my house, while Calverton was a good 2 hours away, but it just doesn't seem like the same kind of festival anymore...now it's just a day-long concert with a bunch of good bands.

I'd love to see a lots of the bands playing, but I just don't feel like making the effort. It sucks that they moved it...but at least Radiohead will tour during the summer! It's a true "Field Day" now!
Old 06-04-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Not to mention it's $80 plus ticketbastard fees for one day. No thanks, I'll wait for Radiohead to come around on their own later this summer. Besides, I've already got tix to see Elliott Smith next week in Philly and Coldplay at the Garden.
Old 06-04-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i think I'm taking a pass as well and waiting for Radiohead in the Summer. Going to catch the Montreal show and then a NY area one.
Old 06-05-03, 09:51 AM

from the Field Day website (info still forthcoming):

Giants Stadium doors open at 10:30 a.m. The show will begin at 12 noon. Rain or shine.

Stage #1

Radiohead - 10:00 PM
Beastie Boys - 7:45 PM
Beck - 6:00 PM
Blur - 4:30 PM
Underwold - 3:00 PM
Spiritualized - 1:45 PM
Beth Orton - 12:50 PM
Liz Phair - 12:00 PM

Stage #2

Elliott Smith - 5:50 PM
Bright Eyes - 4:50 PM
My Morning Jacket - 3:30 PM
Thursday - 2:30 PM
Gemma Hayes - 1:35 PM
22-20s – 12:40 PM
Ours - 12:00pm

with all the screw-ups and reorganization, why don't they just construct another stage? I mean sheesh, you go to a UK/European music festival and you have at least 4 different stages to choose from - and all the stages run in tandem. Field Day organizers could easily add four more bands to the second stage (which wil more than likely going to happen). Even the annual HFS festival has four stages: main, second, new bands stage, dance tent.

In my ideal world I'd have the lineup as such:

Main:
Radiohead
Beastie Boys
Beck
Blur
The Roots
Spiritualized
Beth Orton
Liz Phair

Second Stage:
Elliott Smith
Bright Eyes
My Morning Jacket
Thursday
Gemma Hayes
22-20s
Ours

Third Stage:
Sigur Ros
Interpol
The Music
Polyphonic Spree
Tortoise
La Tigre
Ravonettes

Fourth Stage
Underworld
N.E.R.D
Thievery Corporation
Royskopp
Peanut Butter Wolf

Last edited by Giles; 06-05-03 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-05-03, 05:49 PM

Dang...people can only catch 10 minutes of Elliott Smith before running off to see Beck.

And how exactly that works when you have seats in the upper levels is beyond me!