Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Your best albums you liked by The Beach Boys

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-11-03, 12:08 AM
Rest in Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best Album "Pet Sounds" next "All Summer Long" "Smile" "Shut Down Volume 2" and "Endless Summer".

Favorite songs "Caroline No, Surfer Girl,
Do It Again, and KoKoMo.
Old 04-11-03, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some reason I never have liked the Beach Boys... I really don't know why, maybe I find their music depressing.
Old 04-11-03, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As a kid I wasn't into them. I found them a bit cheesy compared to my faves (Bowie, Stones, Beatles). I have almost every CD from the just mentioned bands, but it wasn't until after I graduated from college that I "got" the Beach Boys. I have their box set and "Pet Sounds". I love their Pet-era... and that's probably why I think "Wouldn't It Be Nice" is my fave song. A brilliant, brilliant tune. I've grown more fond of "Good Vibrations" as well. What a strange tune that was back then.
Old 04-11-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by atlantamoi
As a kid I wasn't into them. I found them a bit cheesy compared to my faves (Bowie, Stones, Beatles). I have almost every CD from the just mentioned bands, but it wasn't until after I graduated from college that I "got" the Beach Boys. I have their box set and "Pet Sounds". I love their Pet-era... and that's probably why I think "Wouldn't It Be Nice" is my fave song. A brilliant, brilliant tune. I've grown more fond of "Good Vibrations" as well. What a strange tune that was back then.
Exactly...a lot of people dismiss the Beach Boys until they get a little older and burrow into "Pet Sounds". It's ironic, but what sounds like a simple California pop band when you're young becomes so much more once you've lived with it for a while. It's like listinging to what you think is N'Sync and then coming to realize that it's really The Beatles.

"Pet Sounds" expands and clarifys Brian Wilson's vision. After hearing it, you go back to his earlier (and later) work and everything makes a little more sense and resonates a little more deeply. You realize the depth of feeling behind songs like "In My Room" and even "Surfer Girl".

But, "Pet Sounds" is still the magnum opus here. The opening arppegios on "Sloop John B" are the sound that REM has been trying to attain for 20 years. The bittersweetness of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "That's Not Me" have never been equaled. But, for me, it's "I'm Waiting for the Day" that puts the album over the top. The false ending and triumphant/raging return is pure magic.
Old 04-11-03, 01:21 PM

I'm a fan of Pet Sounds, too. The entire album is amazing.
Old 04-11-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Pet Sounds" is their best. Nothing else comes close.
Old 04-11-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Besides Pet Sounds, I like 20/20, Smiley Smile, Sunflower, and Friends. There's no shortage of good records by the Boys. I also like the Endless Harmony DVD.
Old 04-11-03, 07:31 PM
Rest in Peace

You wern't around when Shutdown and other car songs went Platinum!

From Little Honda orignally sang by "The Hondells" to shut it buddie going to shut you down. That big black mucle car in "The Fast and the Furious was common place to us of the day. I had a chevy mailbu with a 327 365 HP with a dual quad carburetor, then we cut the front hood to install the big turbo chargers.

The difference is the turbocharger will kick manualy less waste gate time on the high end. A supercharger is for low end off the start power. Even then both were not new they had been used in the planes of W. W 2. Those multi-engine airplanes didn't use carburators on radial engines. The word NOS was to us Nitrus Oxide in which you had to use dome shaped chomally pistons for the higher heat, the gas and nitrous oxide would generate. That's the period when "The Beach Boys" got in land songs versus almost all 'beach' songs.

A lot of like Sloop John B, it was about a captain that got drunk, not typical 'up beat' BB songs like California Girls and woodie station wagons that had actual wood, not plastic wood stuck on in sheets.