DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Ryan Adams reportedly quits the music biz (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/285073-ryan-adams-reportedly-quits-music-biz.html)

Penny Lane 04-10-03 09:01 AM

Ryan Adams reportedly quits the music biz

from www.tinymixtapes.com:

Ryan Adams: Pissed Off, Pissed Drunk, and, Pissing, Quits
Okay, well he says he isn't drunk, but do we ever believe Ryan Adams when he says he isn't? On to the news, Ryan has informed fans on his message board (www.ryan-adams.com) that he will be giving up singing and playing guitar to get "a real job." He thinks people won't get pissed off at him if he gets an "honest" job where he can "paint a house or build a chair." In a rant about the state of the music business and the huge egos of musicians in general, Ryan states, "I'm not putting the album out and I'm not going on tour." What's next? Well, Ryan just bought a new laptop so he can write a novel. We're confused here at TinyMixTapes... Ryan wants to paint houses, build chairs, "sweep a ****ing floor", and write novels? I guess we'll have to come up with a new position title for his lofty new aims. How about "custodial novelist"? Sounds like a winner, Ry. Let us know when you sober up and pin down an album release date.

Ryan Adams is so full of it. Why does he say stuff like this? :hscratch:

mkdevo 04-10-03 09:13 AM

wow.. this guy is my idol.

grunter 04-10-03 12:02 PM

Penny: would you have any idea where I might find these circulating copies of "48 Hours" & "The Suicide Handbook?"

I'd really, really love to hear these.

Thanks.

Numanoid 04-10-03 12:20 PM

My musical hero, Gary Numan, "retired" in 1981 at the age of 23.

His 19th studio album comes out this Summer.

Dubya 04-10-03 12:21 PM

that's too bad, I always liked that one song of his..."summer of 69" :D

Rogue588 04-10-03 12:35 PM

:lol: what a schmuck.

:wave: Buh-Bye Ryan..don't let the door hit ya ass on the way out..

The Antipodean 04-10-03 12:53 PM

I really do like some of Adams' songs, but he basically needs to learn to shut up and not say anything unless he's singing it. Open mouth, insert ass.

Rypro 525 04-10-03 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Dubya
that's too bad, I always liked that one song of his..."summer of 69" :D
Thats Bryan Adams, not Ryan Adams. Ryan did the "New York, New York" song that was shot days before 9/11.

bralph 04-10-03 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Rypro PG-13
Thats Bryan Adams, not Ryan Adams. Ryan did the "New York, New York" song that was shot days before 9/11.
Never heard of it (assuming it wasn't a Frank Sinatra remake). What kind of music "did" he play? I'm mostly a "new rock alternative" kinda guy.

Rypro 525 04-10-03 02:33 PM

Originally posted by bralph
Never heard of it (assuming it wasn't a Frank Sinatra remake). What kind of music "did" he play? I'm mostly a "new rock alternative" kinda guy.
Click here
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...070032-2171833
I wouldn't call it "new rock alternative"

bralph 04-10-03 03:22 PM

Click here

Ugh, no it certainly is not. Granted, I just listened to the New York clip, but it doesn't appear I was missing much. Country-rock ain't my thang....

Penny Lane 04-10-03 03:46 PM

Originally posted by grunter
Penny: would you have any idea where I might find these circulating copies of "48 Hours" & "The Suicide Handbook?"

I'd really, really love to hear these.

Thanks.

:D e-mail me

Dubya 04-10-03 04:13 PM

I know but thanks for that ;)

Rogue588 04-10-03 04:51 PM

Here Rypro...THIS or THIS'll help you get the joke..

Jason 04-10-03 05:16 PM

Click here

Just checked out those samples, and he's got some kind of 70's folk/country/rock the band/eagles/james taylor thing going on there. Not too bad.

He's got no real reason to hang it up. At least his music sounds like it is competently produced and played by professional musicians, which is more than I can say for some bands I've heard (and heard mentioned here).

Penny Lane 04-10-03 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Jason
Just checked out those samples, and he's got some kind of 70's folk/country/rock the band/eagles/james taylor thing going on there. Not too bad.

He's got no real reason to hang it up. At least his music sounds like it is competently produced and played by professional musicians, which is more than I can say for some bands I've heard (and heard mentioned here).

He's really good, probably my second favorite songwriter. I don't believe he is quitting, though, or if he is it won't last.

Frank TJ Mackey 04-10-03 06:18 PM

I love Ryan Adams' music but he's starting to really
act like a major league a**h**e.

Penny Lane 04-10-03 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
I love Ryan Adams' music but he's starting to really
act like a major league a**h**e.

Ah, he's a complete baby. I've been watching his antics on his message board for months now. It gets amusing, really.

grunter 04-10-03 10:27 PM

Originally posted by Penny Lane
:D e-mail me
YGM.

:up:

Penny Lane 04-11-03 11:39 PM

ha ha! From www.tinymixtapes.com:

The Masses Threaten Suicide; Ryan Adams Begins Making Records Again

In an attempt to save the world from despair and heartache, Ryan Adams has decided to quit his long break from recording and start making music again. He blames his silly little diatribe about quitting the music business on his "mindblowing" encounter with "Moroccan hash". In a direct contradiction to his comments about giving up his present life to pursue a more respectable career of chair-making, Ryan says, "[I] can't ****ing wait to make more records and I don't care how DRAMATIC I'm sounding." He then thanks what fans he has left who were "nice and cool about [his] little Mariah Carey on-line meltdown." Adams acknowledges that he "should've said... 'I'm thinking about not releasing a record this year. At least, I'm thinking that maybe I'd have more fun doing something else.'" Ryan is reportedly aware that the fans he called "nice and cool" had plans to end their lives by shooting themselves according to the lyrics of Ryan Adams song "Harder Now that It's Over". d was unavailble for comment, having overdosed on amphetamines. Ryan, we hope that you will consider your effect on the needy fans before making such rash declarations in the future. Now we have to find a new editor.