DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Why did filmmaker Brian DePalma direct a Bruce Springsteen video? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/284803-why-did-filmmaker-brian-depalma-direct-bruce-springsteen-video.html)

Buttmunker 04-09-03 08:25 AM

Why did filmmaker Brian DePalma direct a Bruce Springsteen video?

I discovered this fact not too long ago - maybe 6 years ago - but director Brian DePalma, whose film credits include "Carrie," "Dressed To Kill," and "The Untouchables," decide to direct Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark" music video? Seems an odd assignment, considering the long-term projects DePalma is used to.

I have to say that "Dancing in the Dark" is the best Springsteen video of all-time - the way it starts with Springsteen's feet, then working the camera up from different angles until he's fully in view, making Springsteen out to be a superstar - which he became after this video cinched the success of the album "Born in the U.S.A.," giving him teen idol status at 35-years old. (And the cute cameo from Courtney Cox made the video even more ageless, natch.)

Has DePalma directed other music videos that I am not aware of? If not, what prompted him to do this, and how did he and Springsteen get set-up?

GuessWho 04-09-03 10:06 AM

Why not?

Perhaps he's a fan.

Buttmunker 04-09-03 10:14 AM

It's a curious thing because in his filmmaking history, there's no mention of other music videos other than the one he did for Bruce. It's like an out of the blue-type venture, and kudos to him on a job well done.

Too bad he wasn't too big a fan to feature Bruce in one of his movies.

Jepthah 04-09-03 12:39 PM

Not only this, but none other than Sam Peckinpah did a video for Julian Lennon. And it was a 'phoned-in' type of effort, too. :confused:

Groucho 04-09-03 12:42 PM

Courtney Cox wasn't a "cameo" in this video. She was an unknown at the time.

Numanoid 04-09-03 01:11 PM

Apparently there is an underground video of Bruce dancing in front of his mirror at home practicing for the filming of this video. It's supposed to be hilarious. Penn Gillette has mentioned having it a couple of times on local radio here in Chicago. I'd love to see that.

Rypro 525 04-09-03 02:15 PM

From what I remeber about the video, he sort of asks a fan to come up and dance and it just so happened to be Courtney Cox.

Groucho 04-09-03 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Rypro PG-13
From what I remeber about the video, he sort of asks a fan to come up and dance and it just so happened to be Courtney Cox.
You are correct...that is the "plot" of the video. But Cox was cast ahead of time and her moves chereographed. It wasn't truly a spontaneous moment at a real concert.

slop101 04-09-03 04:38 PM

Jonathan Deme dircted Bruce's "Streets of Philadelphia" - but I'm sure that had more to do with the fact the he also dircted the movie it was featured in.