Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Isn't it weird when a band kicks out a founding member?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-07-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk God

courtesty of www.mtv.com

Incubus have hired ex-guitarist for the Roots Ben Kenney as their new bassist. Kenney will replace Dirk Lance, who was recently released from duty after 12 years with the band. In a press statement, frontman Brandon Boyd said the band decided to let Lance go after Incubus finished touring for Morning View....

Old 04-07-03, 09:00 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Not to shift the focus of the thread (or, as some call it, "hijack"), but it seems like bassists especially get no love.

It's like it's no big deal to ditch a bassist or record an album without one. "Oh, I'm a guitarist, but if you want I can lay down the tracks on that 4-string thingy as well..."

[Insert "Les Claypool is the heart and soul of Primus" comeback here.]

But back on topic, what are some other examples of booting a founder? I keep thinking of lineup changes, and each time, it never seems as if the (perceived) "creative mastermind" is the one getting the heave-ho.

The only possible example I can come up with is when Def Leppard rid themselves of that Pete Willis guy - but was he a founding member?
Old 04-07-03, 09:29 PM

Man this pisses me off.

I've been a HUGE Incubus fan for about 4-5 years now. A friend of mine turned me on to "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." back in my aggressive music phase in 8th grade. My first real concert was 311/Incubus. I've since seen the band 4 times live altogether.

I love every album they've put out. Right now I'm jamming "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." though. It's going to suck not having Dirk there. Many of there songs pre-Make Yourself will never be played live again I'm assuming. Maybe just "New Skin". That's an awful thing.

Oh well. The band was going one way. Dirk and DJ Lyte were going the other. Let's hope the next band Dirk is in will let him funk out the 4 or 5 string.

Aaron
Old 04-07-03, 09:47 PM

A few examples:

T.S.O.L (true sounds of liberty)- somewhere along the lines in the 80's this SoCal/Orange County punk band ended up with NONE of the original members. Oh, and when the new guys took over, they became bad 80's metal. The orignal lineup (minus the deceased drummer) is back together recording and touring.

Dead Kennedy's- Reformed last year without & against the wishes of founder/singer Jello Biafra.

Spiritualized- J. Spaceman booted his entire band, who now play together under the name Lupine Howl. J. Spaceman is the creative force behind the band though, so I guess this one doesn't count

It seems like most of the founders/leaders don't really get kicked out, they just leave on their own dime and (usually) the band ends with their departure. But, Silkworm's singer/gutarist/songwriter Joe Phelps parted ways with the band (not sure if he left or was booted) and they went on and have stayed just as good practically.
Old 04-07-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Les Savy Fav bagged guitarist Gibb Slife, but it didn't hurt the band at all really.
Old 04-07-03, 10:14 PM

Hell no it didn't! Funny you mention them, I'm planning to see them tomorrow night.
Old 04-07-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't Quiet Riot end up without any of the founding members as well at some point.

They originally had Randy Roades (of Ozzy fame) as their lead guitarist, who was later replaced with Carlos Cavaso.

As time passed, the band dropped off members until Carlos was the longest-playing one left.

And Dead Kennedys are not the Dead Kennedys with Jello Biafra. Period.
Old 04-07-03, 11:20 PM
Banned

This is extremely shitty. I have been a huge Incubus fan since S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and have enjoyed there work for many years. I have felt that they are one of those bands whose music kept evolving with perfection at every step. I hope they continue to put out great music. It makes me wonder of the reasons for his release?
Old 04-08-03, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dave Mustaine was an original member of Metallica, and they bought him a bus ticket home a bit before the first album came out after voting him out.

Of course he later went on to do Megadeth, so I think the fans won
Old 04-08-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dgmayor
Dave Mustaine was an original member of Metallica, and they bought him a bus ticket home a bit before the first album came out after voting him out.

Of course he later went on to do Megadeth, so I think the fans won
I always thought of that as strange - who made who god in Metallica to decide who stays and who goes? No wonder Megadeth never collaborarated on an album with Metallica after all those years. I'd be sore as hell, and time wouldn't blunt that feeling.
Old 04-08-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A lot of bands have kicked out founding members. Just watch VH1's Behind The Music. Most of the bands on there kicked someone out at some point.
Old 04-08-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Black Sabbath kicked out their founding singer (Ozzy). That's a pretty big one.
Old 04-08-03, 07:44 PM

I think Ozzy came to Black Sabbath after the other musicans had already formed the band. But it was still pretty bad to replace him with Dio
Old 04-09-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What about Rage Against the Machine? Or did that guy quit...?
Old 04-09-03, 12:11 AM
Banned

I'm pretty sure Rage was a historically, notoriously in-fighting band.........I don't think the "singer"'s departure could be called a "kick-out" though.

IIRC the final straw came when the bassist (I told you bassists are the losers in any band ) pulled his cute little scaffold-climbing stunt at some MTV award show. The singer was mortified.
Old 04-09-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Allmans kicked out DIckey Betts..judging by thier new album he is sorely missed
Old 04-09-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rolling Stones kicked out Brian Jones.

I think Styx kicked out one of the main guys (I don't know his name, since I hate Styx, but I remember seeing it on Behind the Music).

Last edited by Ginwen; 04-09-03 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-09-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't the Smashing Pumpkins oust some guy due to drug abuse?

And, although no one here will probably know who I'm talking about, my favorite band of all-time - Ultravox - ousted their drummer for their final album (which is generally regarded as their worst).
Old 04-09-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread makes me want to go watch my Rockstar DVD.
Old 04-10-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Ginwen
I think Styx kicked out one of the main guys (I don't know his name, since I hate Styx, but I remember seeing it on Behind the Music).
i opened this thread expecting it to be about Styx! j/k. although it would've been feasible as they released their principle songwriter. the person who was responsible for all of their hit songs was let go because he was too controlling. (yes, i saw the Behind the Music, too.. )
-di doctor-
Old 04-10-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DrRingDing
i opened this thread expecting it to be about Styx! j/k. although it would've been feasible as they released their principle songwriter. the person who was responsible for all of their hit songs was let go because he was too controlling. (yes, i saw the Behind the Music, too.. )
-di doctor-
And he's allergic to sunlight or something, right?

It's not often that the major artistic force in the band gets kicked out or leaves. It's usually the other guys -- founding members or not -- because they don't like the artistic force in the band. "Creative differences" is a cliche for a reason.

Iron Maiden lost Bruce Dickinson for a while, though it's the Bass player (what's his name?) that is the main songwriter (though Bruce is back now, nor was Bruce the original singer. Paul DiAnno was).

Jethro Tull has had a revolving-door sort of lineup during it's 30-year career, though Ian Anderson is still the center of it all.

Pink Floyd without Roger Waters (creative force in later years, AND the bass player) was at least still strong enough with just Gilmour. Floyd also had the audacity to fire TWO of the founding members (nick mason, drums and rich wright, keyboards), and then hire them back as salaried musicians instead of contracted partners.

Except for Styx, I can't think of a band who removed their #1 songwriter and continued with the same name.
Old 04-10-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wasn't Nigel kicked out of Spinal Tap?
Old 04-10-03, 06:14 PM
Banned

Wasn't Nigel kicked out of Bush?

Old 04-10-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by atlantamoi
Wasn't Nigel kicked out of Spinal Tap?
Nope. He quit.