Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Metallica's "St. Anger" [Part One] [CD includes bonus DVD; due June 10!]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Metallica's "St. Anger" [Part One] [CD includes bonus DVD; due June 10!]

Old 05-20-03, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd love to see them play more St. Anger material, but that is an awesome setlist! Do they play Master of Puppets in its entirety?
Old 05-20-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Erygu:

Yeah, many of the clubberz are psyched to hear more of the first four discs, some are not. I imagine the purpose of these shows is to bring it the old sh:t and see what works best. My guess is we will hear some of the Load's on tour, maybe just a couple tracks though. The Load era stuff sounds great live, much heavier and such. I'm dying to hear them play "fixxxer" live, if they play that over the summer I'll be psyched! Interesting note, last nights set did not contain any song from the 1990's era Metallica! Nothing from the 'black' album, or the Loads.

Painkiller:

I think there holding back on the St. Anger stuff to really keep the excitement that very little has been heard. I bet before these 4 shows are over, we'll see one or two more tracks on that set.

People are so far, blown away by "frantic." And yes, from what I've heard "Master of Puppets" was the full version.
Old 05-20-03, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the update db27.

I assume you are a fan club member? I was thinking of joining, but mostly for the past fan cans. When you are a member, can you buy the old ones and how much do they cost? Sorry it's off topic, but I just thought I would ask.
Old 05-20-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Ergyu
Thanks for the update db27.

I assume you are a fan club member? I was thinking of joining, but mostly for the past fan cans. When you are a member, can you buy the old ones and how much do they cost? Sorry it's off topic, but I just thought I would ask.
Yup, I'm a clubber. The old fan cans are no longer available. Occasionally though they offer them through the metstore, but it's thought that they are just about all gone. Recently they offered "garbage cans" that contained just about anything, autographed stuff, pics, random whatevers. It was cool as hell.

The club is well worth it, there are various levels. You get tons of internet access stuff that you otherwise can't get. Plus 4 magazines a year loaded with great Metalligoodness. Not to mention the tons of other benefits in relation to live shows or secret "club" only gigs and what-not.

I only have fan can 4, I'd love to be able to get the others. But people on ebay are ridiculous.

I've been a member for years, couldn't be more pleased. It improves all the time!
Old 05-20-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More Updates on the Release

Official release from Metallica
----------

We are mere weeks away from the release of St. Anger, and we have some updates. St. Anger will be a 2-disc set (CD of music, DVD of rehearsals) packaged in a tri-fold digipack. Included in the digipack will be a 4-color, 28 page booklet with lyrics, a sneak peak at the Metallica video game currently in development (scheduled to be released late 2004/early 2005), and your link to some other Met goodies on the web. The album will now feature only one cover (4 covers? What were we thinking?!?!?).
Click here to pre-order St. Anger now!

The first song to go on the radio will be the title track, St. Anger. The video for St. Anger (filmed in the BIG HOUSE) will make it's debut later this month, the same day we put music in those radio guy's hands.

St. Anger hits the streets all around the world next month . . . in Australia, most of Europe, and South America on June 9, North America on June 10, and in Japan on June 11. We'll keep giving you little teasers all this month . .
Old 05-20-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice, also just learned that the four guys each got to pick the band whom they wanted to open for them.

James - CKY
Lars - Systematic (duh, his label and oasis wasn't available)
and Kirk and Rob must have chosen Death Angel and Depressor, not sure which chose which though. (EDIT, Kirks was Depressor and Rob's was Death Angel.)

Here is a q&a with the CKY dudes.

Question:
when i heard you were playing with metallica i was like **** ya! but then i was thinking about if you guys hooked up a little earlier you possibly might have been on that metallica icon, what do you feel about that? rock on!
asked by randy on Tuesday, May 20

Answer:
what we did was far greater. We were handpicked by james hetfield for thier very first private show in thier hometown for the new world tour..each member of Metallica got to chose a different band to open each of the 4 nights at the fillmore. James told us he was really a fan of our albums and that they had listened to CKY albums alot during the making of their new album. He said it was lucky to have been able to contact us with such late notice, due to the fact we are not on radio or mtv or in magazines too often..our music prevails- James was rocking out, air drumming and air guitaring during our entire set on sunday. very cool. funny thing is how they heard of CKY..Hetfield said producer bob rock's son had downloaded our music and turned his dad onto it, intern turning Metallica on to CKY. James said he loved the guitar sounds,production and riffs and really dug derons voice. that really made deron feel good, to have one of his original rock idols complement him like that. Lars was very cool too. We hung with them for a while and talked about all types of things.. it was an honor~ once again thank you Metallica, it was a great time.
answered by chad \CKY

Last edited by db27; 05-22-03 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-22-03, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fillmore Setlist for Wednesday (show #3)

They finally played something from the Loads, and once again revisted the "black" album. Plenty of new additions to the set tonight including the SECOND track from St. Anger, "St. anger." Which of course is the single scheduled to hit radio and MTV on the 27th.

Fight Fire With Fire
Fuel
Leper Messiah
St. Anger
Seek and Destroy
Frantic
Harvester of Sorrow
Ride the Lightning
Sad But True
Fade To Black
Blackened
------
The Four Horsemen
Phantom Lord
------
Die, Die My Darling
Blitzkrieg
Hit the Lights

These shows are really making me wish I lived closer to SF.
Old 05-23-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts
METALLICA ROCKS THE FILLMORE: NIGHT FOUR | 05/22/2003

....Death Angel are screaming and roaring as we enter the building, and I gotta tell ya, I like to hear Death Angel scream and roar like that, it's a fine thing, a good thing, a righteous noise and I hope we hear more of it sooner than later.

Being the last night, the friends and family area upstairs is packed, and the friends and family area downstairs is packed too. Night 4. Could've done 14. But we're grateful for the quartet, right? In the tight, tight backstage area, I can sense that this is not a night for anybody who doesn't need to be there, thus I take off for the plum viewing point that is Big Mick's soundboard and settle in as the old 'good, bad and ugly' kicks off...and it will kick off (I've seen the set-list and tonight is gonna be a marathon endeavor of speed, power and aggression. There'll be no 'arena-type set' here tonight! Indeed, this promises to be the '**** you!' variety, the 'catch us if you can' sort, a benchmark along the lines of Sunday.

And opener 'Battery' supports that perception, astonishingly fast and furious, I'd say it's bordering on highly violent. And it is LOUDER TONIGHT, THE LOUDEST I HAVE HEARD YET AT THESE FILLMORE SHOWS. IN FACT MAYBE I SHOULD JUST KEEP ON WRITING LIKE THIS, BECAUSE I CANNOT HEAR MYSELF THINK! WICKED!!!! IS IT JUST ME, OR ARE THIS BAND HAPPIER PLAYING AT THIS VOLUME, WITH THIS MATERIAL AND SLIGHTLY, EVER-SO-SLIGHTLY AGGRO'D UP?!

"We are Metallica and so are you baby..." Straight into 'Master Of Puppets' and it's chugging, loud LOUD and held in the pocket perfectly. (DID I MENTION IT'S ****ING LOUD?!!!) They are certainly looking more malevolent tonight, leaner than last night, as though they've a point to prove to someone somewhere. But whatever the driver, this is pretty damn good...James is certainly enjoying that ending 'Master...' laugh, getting his value out of it and then some.

"Hell-o friends...I'm glad u made it man," he says, "It's so good to see you guys, really, Metallica's been through some rough stuff and it's good to know some people love you. We love you right back. This here's a Metallica rehearsal, we're practicing kicking ass, so if we **** up, you can point at the person responsible...(chuckles) there's no hiding here, but just smile when you point would ya?"

And then it's straight into a meaty, chunk-laden rendition of 'Harvester Of Sorrow', James death grunting the intro. Robert is absolutely wailing away, hopping and leaping and jumping and popping all over, Lars (in black as always!) is not about to give any quarter. He is, indeed, in fine fine form...and Kirk, once again, is having an absolute blast.

'One' and when those machine guns kick in , they're, err, LOUD AND ANGRY (do you see the pattern to night 4 of The Fillmore? Loud and proudly, joyously, pissed off)...

Oh, by the way. There are no signs of fading limbs or atrophying body parts. I was joking about all that, though again, the point of their unadulterated speed and endurance cannot be understated.

"We're feeling mighty strong and happy...I was afraid I was gonna be the first one that got pointed to," laughs James before going on to say, "my name's James, this is Kirk, this is Lars back here and our newest family member Mr Rob Trujillo, tarantulata...watch out for him, he's scary, proud to have him in this band, powerful and an awesome addition, here to make Metallica stronger. This next one is new and it's called 'St. Anger'."

It's quite a sight watching that song rev rev rev up, Lars building the tempo until he hits blast-beat pace, James and Kirk riffing the hell out of it, the bridge to provide respite...it reminds me that this band have NO point to prove to anyone but themselves, and that is EXACTLY what this whole album and tour is about. The doing it for themselves, finding pleasure in extremes, finding release in sheer relentlessness. And y'know what? IT'S STILL DEAFENINGLY LOUD (this is a GOOD thing, as the volume has not meant a loss of clarity)

'Thing That Should Not Be' sees Kirk's 'v' out for the old monolithic stomper, and 'tis a cracking version, full of blister and anger, and... y'know? I have suddenly realized that this will make the set this summer, as will all of these songs from all of these nights, because I'll bet these guys will change them up and around as, and when, it feels right. (BY THE WAY, THE CHORUS JUST GOT PUSHED TO EAR BLEEDER MODE, CHRIST ALMIGHTY ARE THEY PROVING A POINT OR WHAT? AGAIN, NO LOSS OF CLARITY, JUST A SUPER-CHARGED VOLUME!)

"We've got a new album coming out, I think, June 10th, we're proud of it and we're gonna play another one off it here, called 'Frantic'!" says James, and I must say I love this song. I love it's unashamed rawness, I love it's little ear-candy desert rock-like hook, I love it's unadulterated **** you-ness...and I love the fact that the riff-is-God here (indeed on all 'St.Anger' material), that there's no need for anything else, that the guitars just work as one huge tool of abrasion... "Whaddya think? Shall we keep that on the set-list?" asks James, receiving a roar back. "OK a check next to that one... gotta get back into shape too...are ya havin' fun? Well if y'are then let's get as loud as **** baby!"

It's time for a bit of RTL era, first with '...Bells...' (Kirk leading the crowd, striding the stage, enthusing the hands, getting them, requesting more) And then 'Ride...'which tonight is tremendous. Again, that tempo is held perfectly in the pocket, the true sign of a band who have the stamina, and a signal that Lars is back close to fighting shape, his enthusiasm self-reigned, those energy explosions channeled perfectly.

'Welcome Home (Sanitarium)' is next, and I love the tempo, it sounds slightly tuned down and slightly chuggier, which all reminds me what a mighty, mighty song this is.

"This is a nasty little number dedicated to all of you here!" snarls James, and they're into 'Damage Inc' which is a massive YES! On my richter scale. The solo from Kirk is quite literally rrrripping (The Ripper returns! J)

"Thank you we appreciate you comin' down here and spending some fun times down here, we feel so good you're here, Metallica luvs ya!" says James as they leave the stage, and as the crowd waits they break into the gnomish chant from the start of 'Frayed Ends Of Sanity' (FRAYED ENDS OF MY BLOODY EARDRUMS MATEY, THIS HAS BEEN LOUD 'UN) which means that even though it isn't on the set-list, Kirk cranks the riff and they just decide to pile into it until they have a wreck! Superb! Spontainiety. A fine fine thing, although Rob laughs that, "the guys wanted me to learn that one right now, on the break, right then!"

"We need some music to get us goin' again!" says James, and in comes 'No Remorse' with Rob crab-crawlin' his way into the heart of the riff. The guitars meet in a sonic bridge before the speed break (Kirk and James point at each other, laughing over a small confusion) and then they are OFF into the land of pace and power, the area they've always visited well in.

'Leper Messiah' sees Lars counts Rob in for 5 and they are rhythmic congruence defined, before Rob takes the center mike, and by the time they've reached 'Blackened', it's clear that these are the displays which prove Metallica to be an awesome ever-presence in life. The slow break mid-song shows them in full 'destroy' mode...

It is during 'Breadfan' that one of those unique incidents you talk about for years happens. They start and then they abruptly stop. Kirk & James joke about tuning wars.

"It can never be me, right?" says J...everyone giggles,

"Do you have 13 guitars...that's a lot"

"He's extra evil with 13 guitars!" says Rob, and another quip or two later sees them start again.

They both charge in after a Kirk guitar change but it's still 'off'...magically cool and funny...Kirk sits behind the drums, Lars is wandering about grinning, James wants to smash a tuner(in jest of course)...and there they are, standing around trying to find out where the flatness is...pretty funny stuff. Then they both change guitars. Unique. and I know musicians don't like this stuff but it makes for those unique nights... And then they hit it on the money, and I'd say the song benefits from the extra pent-up and unspent delivery of the last few minutes.

Oh, it also unleashed some minorly majorly funny dialogue.

LU: "I think that's about enough metal for week eh? Back to 'I disappear'!"

RT: Thanks you very much for welcoming me into 'the family'

JH: I wanna play one more,

KH: I wanna, do you?

JH: It says so on the set sheet

LU: OK, but I don't wanna go thru the tuning **** again, have you guys got that sorted out?

JH: Tuning shcmooning, lets KICK ASS

"This one's about bad breath...lets get everyone doing the 'hey hey hey' thing, wanna?" roars James and it's a final bit of 'Motorbreath' to close the night, it-is-FAST AND LOUD AND CLEAR BUT LOUD AND JUST PLAIN, MOTHERF**KIN' LOUD! Sharp as a field of tacks under barefoot it must be told (even if James melodically agreed to '****ing up' the lyrics) and as they say goodnight to the Bay Area until August 10th, you can sense how physically challenging, but ultimately damn rewarding, the shows have been for them.

These four nights were legendary. We all, I'm sure, have our favorites, and allow me to share mine. Night one, simply because it was the heaviest Metallica set I've seen for many many years and it took me completely by surprise, and tonight simply because it was loud and ugly and sharp and mean and tough.

I'll add a postscript tomorrow afternoon when I have some energy, but I really...must...go...to...slee---zzzzzzzz...

Setlist:
Battery
Master Of Puppets
Harvester Of Sorrow
One
St. Anger
The Thing That Should Not Be
Frantic
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Ride The Lightning
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Damage, Inc.
------
No Remorse
Leper Messiah
Blackened
------
Breadfan
Motorbreath

[METALLICA.COM]
Old 05-23-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ST ANGER VIDEO UNLEASHED | 05/22/2003

The St. Anger video that was filmed at San Quentin State Prison will be unleashed to the world on Tuesday May 27th. Metallica and directors the Malloy Brothers spent 18 hours at the 'BIG HOUSE' last month to film the title track. The video was shot with the band performing at various locations throughout the compound. From outside, during the prisoners lunch break, to inside the cell block. This video is truly unique...

MTV2 will debut the video at Noon (12 pm EST) and air it every hour on the hour till 9 pm EST. The video will then premiere on MTV at 11:30 pm EST immediately following "Jackass." In addition to the video, the title track, St. Anger, will also drop like a ton of bricks in your favorite radio station's lap Tuesday. Over and out.
Old 05-26-03, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by gerrythedon
check out [www.bestbuy.com]

Like I said before... when everyone [except db27] here cursed me... St. Anger will be $9.99 [w/ DVD]... SWEET!
Well it seems that the METALLICA boys have done it again, they are threatning to SUE BEST BUY for selling their new cd [ST. ANGER] at a LOW price of $9.99...

just kidding PEEPS!... [sorry DB27]

it seems that BB either jumped the gun or mispriced '"ST. ANGER". they have it for $13.99 after checking their website... DAMN 'EM, hopefully it is a mistake... who knows, if it's not $9.99, It'll probably be $11.99 [I hope]

ANYWAY I'M STILL BUYING IT NO MATTER WHAT!

[and feel free to curse me, again]
Old 05-26-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gerrythedon
Well it seems that the METALLICA boys have done it again, they are threatning to SUE BEST BUY for selling their new cd [ST. ANGER] at a LOW price of $9.99...

just kidding PEEPS!... [sorry DB27]

it seems that BB either jumped the gun or mispriced '"ST. ANGER". they have it for $13.99 after checking their website... DAMN 'EM, hopefully it is a mistake... who knows, if it's not $9.99, It'll probably be $11.99 [I hope]

ANYWAY I'M STILL BUYING IT NO MATTER WHAT!

[and feel free to curse me, again]

still a good price, and given the extra dvd i'm not that surprised. i'm sure best buy realized that people are goning to buy it either way, and why not make a little money instead of using it as a loss leader.

i imagine we'll still get an $11.99 somewhere.
Old 05-26-03, 12:23 PM
Suspended

Hell they could stick any kind of price on there and I still buy it!
Old 05-26-03, 11:25 PM

Hey

At allmetallica.com, on the forums, they have St. Anger and Frantic posted from the Fillmore shows. I'd post them for you guys if I had a site to put them on.

By the way. They are awesome.
Old 05-27-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Today is the Day

So did anyone hear St. Anger on the radio yet. Tune in, it's on Stern in just a bit. And radio/mtv can play it legally today.

It's completely ridiculous, I was not prepared for it. I'll let you all hear it before I comment, as to not spoil it.

WOW!
Old 05-27-03, 11:57 AM

For all those interested, here's a link to the full version of St. Anger (7:14): <small>mp3 news</small>
Enjoy! It's the album version. If I can find them, I'll also post a link or links to the live versions of Frantic and St. Anger.

Last edited by benedict; 05-27-03 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-27-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've already heard the song 3 times on the radio and seen the video. It .........sucks. What the hell happened. It sounds like a poor garage punk band.
Old 05-27-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I'm looking forward to the video. I've heard the song a few times. I'm shocked that a radio station in Vermont actually played it!

Anyway, first impressions.

It is REALLY heavy, and REALLY raw. The slow part through me for a loop, and I liked that part a lot. Especially the "flush it" part, that gave me chills.

It's completely stuck in my head right now. A couple of negative impressions. First off, the "raw" sound is fine and all, but I think had they produced it some more then it would have been even better, I'm sure the album will also return the same response from me. Given that the band has decided to avoid over producing. Second is that it is pretty repetitive lyric-wise, not always a bad thing. Hoping for some deeper and more intense lyrics from the balance of the album.

I don't think that radio stations or MTV will embrace this, it's simply way to "balls out" for mass-market. For that matter, I don't think that anybody but core Metallifans will dig it either, it's just so raw.
Old 05-27-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mopower
I've already heard the song 3 times on the radio and seen the video. It .........sucks. What the hell happened. It sounds like a poor garage punk band.

sucks as in production wise? or simply that the music is no good either.

just curious.
Old 05-27-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by db27
sucks as in production wise? or simply that the music is no good either.

just curious.
It was arranged in a poor way. Some parts were really fast, some weren't so fast. The lyrics were cumbersome and not well coordinated. It had good heavy parts that reminded me of the old days but then they ruin it with this fast beat punk sound. I'm sure some will like it but I don't. I hope the rest of the album is different. Maybe it was just a bad choice for an opening single?
Old 05-27-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is probably lots of stuff on the album that couldn't be played on mtv for what ever reason.
Old 05-27-03, 01:27 PM
Suspended

I guess "raw" is the correct wording here. That main and opening riff is just SICK! I love it and is stuck in my head as well!
The song kind of has that "all over the place" feel to it, which is not necessarily bad. Makes me extremely curious for how the rest of the album will sound. If there are more monster riffs on the cd like this new song I think I'll be in paradise!