Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Metallica's "St. Anger" [Part One] [CD includes bonus DVD; due June 10!]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Metallica's "St. Anger" [Part One] [CD includes bonus DVD; due June 10!]

Old 05-14-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man I can't wait for this album!
Old 05-16-03, 11:15 AM

Go here for 30 seconds of new Metallica song "St. Anger" (with vocals!) : http://www.smnnews.com (scroll down to "St. Madness"). That site also has pictures of the album artwork - front, back, and inside. After hearing this clip and seeing the album art, June 10th can't get here soon enough!!
Old 05-16-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Lionel_Hutz
Go here for 30 seconds of new Metallica song "St. Anger" (with vocals!) : http://www.smnnews.com (scroll down to "St. Madness"). That site also has pictures of the album artwork - front, back, and inside. After hearing this clip and seeing the album art, June 10th can't get here soon enough!!

"f**K it all, and no regrets, I hit the lights on these dark sets..."
you know this album is gonna rock, when his singing lines like this one! obviously partially from Damage Inc, but I'm lovin it!

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! My god, double bass is back in full attack on this album.

I think I just peed myself (again)!
Old 05-16-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: NEW St. Anger sound clip!!

Originally posted by Mordred

Thanks for posting all the cool stuff you find db27. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it.

Mordred
thanks!
Old 05-16-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Front:

Inside:

Back:

Am I the only one that thinks the cover is kinda lame? Personally I expected more from Metallica, but I guess thats just me. However I do like the back cover.

Thanks for the link db27! The 30 seconds of St. Anger are pretty damn good.
Old 05-16-03, 12:43 PM
Suspended

I hate digipacks, why did they have to go with a digipack! grrr

nitpicking....definetly.
Old 05-16-03, 01:42 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by db27
"f**K it all, and no regrets, I hit the lights on these dark sets..."
you know this album is gonna rock, when his singing lines like this one! obviously partially from Damage Inc, but I'm lovin it!

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! My god, double bass is back in full attack on this album.

I think I just peed myself (again)!
No kidding! Man that is some fast metal!
Old 05-16-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,319 Likes on 951 Posts
Thoughts on the artwork:

1. Digipacks suck.

2. I'd rather the cover have the Metallica logo on it somewhere, but the artwork isn't bad. Looks sort of like something from KMFDM, though.

3. Parental Advisory? Guess I won't be picking this up at Wal-Mart, eh?

4. Back cover looks awesome.
Old 05-16-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally posted by Lionel_Hutz
It's also available here...

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=1059
Old 05-17-03, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have no idea where this came from....

Last edited by benedict; 05-27-03 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-17-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool. Thanks for the link!
Old 05-17-03, 07:11 PM
Suspended

Cool link! Thanks db! Trujilo is so perfect for Metallica, what a badass!!
Old 05-17-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even more good news to post folks! In case you just want to hear the clips of the NINE songs as heard in this video then look what I've got for you, thanks to some swell dude in the club that put this together. The only two songs that we haven't heard anything from yet are "purify" and "all within my hands."

http://www.zianet.com/guitarist/met-clips.mp3

also, below is the approximent start time of each clip in the actual 30 minute link that I posted earlier!

St. Anger - 00:00
Frantic - 00:57
Some Kind of Monster - 05:47
My World - 08:08
St. Anger - 9:49
Dirty Window - 11:33
Sweet Amber - 13:20
Unnamed Feeling - 17:30
Shoot Me Again - 26:24
Invisible Kid...27:15

sure pays to be a member of the Metclub!!!! additionally, keep in mind, we're pretty sure these clips are either from practice/jams or the live DVD and that the two clips that are hosted on Metallica.com are believed to be from the actual release.

I gotta say, this album by all indications is going to be one of there best, and my signature from Kerrang may very well be the truth!

So far, I'm digging "my world" and "invisible kid" in a big way, WOW!!! The riffage is so intense and brutal!

-------

oh yeah, and MJK, you hit it, Trujillo is indeed a certified badass without question!

YEAH!!

Last edited by db27; 05-17-03 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-19-03, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
check out [www.bestbuy.com]

Like I said before... when everyone [except db27] here cursed me... St. Anger will be $9.99 [w/ DVD]... SWEET!
Old 05-19-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gerrythedon
check out [www.bestbuy.com]

Like I said before... when everyone [except db27] here cursed me... St. Anger will be $9.99 [w/ DVD]... SWEET!
SWEET! I could get all four covers for $40, not sure if I will yet, maybe 2 of em. Who knows!
Old 05-19-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fillmore Show #1, Sunday 18th Setlist

WOW! As I posted way back, Metallica is doing 4 club shows on consectutive nights at the fillmore in San Francisco. These shows are a warm-up or rehearsal for Summer Sanitarium. If tonights set was any indication, we're all in for a treat!!!

5 songs from Kill em' All (6 if you count Am I Evil from the early version of the CD )

Hit The Lights
The 4 Horsemen
Harvester Of Sorrow
Sanitarium
Frantic
Sad But True
Phantom Lord
Leper Messiah
No Remorse
Fade To Black
Master Of Puppets
Damage Inc
Ride The Lightning
Bellz
Blackened
Last Caress
Am I Evil?
Motorbreath

------------------
RANDOM THOUGHTS ON A FANTASTIC NIGHT | 05/19/2003 (from metclub staff)

Let's start with random words, because listen, this was a really, really unique and random kind of night. Heavy. Energy. Fast. Passionate. Happy. Loose. Good. Roaring. Energy. Where do I stop? I don't want to. And frankly, I don't think they wanted to either tonight...because believe it when I tell you that I firmly believe this is the most fun this band has had playing live for a decade, maybe even more, but let's begin with a decade.

This was the turbo-charged set. the high-octane one. The one that suggested to me Metallica have been kind of 'cruising' for years prior to now. You can't truely recognize how hungry they can be until seeing them wanna wolf these moments down like the first meal after a starvation diet, and tonight these chaps were stuffing themselves, gorging themselves silly on the ferocious energy generated between themselves and the loudest audience I've ever heard at The Fillmore.

"You think we've rehearsed for this?" laughed James. " This is reharsal. Are the lights working? The crowd's working!" Correct on both counts. Oh yes it was loose. of course it was. but that is PART OF THE FUN OF LIVE SHOWS, and for the first time i can remember, Metallica seem to not only understand but agree. mistakes which would normally have encouraged a shower of spat water were instead met with loose fun, calm, laughter and the inner-knowledge that in the bigger picture, they don't matter. And the crowd was on hollar-duty, screaming and yelling the roof off (though it must be said they got beaten down by the set)

Opening with 'Hit The Lights', there was more energy and charge than anyone could've imagined. These aren't empty words, and I intend to ask the guys in the next few days, but I'm guessing that they were reduced to awestruck teenagedom. They all looked 18 again. seriously. and surely a lot of that must stem from the fact that this feels like a band who no longer take things for granted. this might explain why there was more 'KIll 'Em All' material played tonight than I've heard for over 15 ye...no, ever. read it here: these guys are happy to revisit those Carl Lewis (with the steroids and all of it!) classics, the corner stone foundations for the 'Black' album and all that has come with it.One song description I know you want, the newbie. 'Frantic'. Wicked riffs, '...Justice' like changes with a sharpened, razored edge, abrasive, caustic, raw raw RAW!

The only way I can describe Robert Trujillo's performance is seemless, fluid and like that of a man who's been in this band for aeons already. He has brought a waviness, a bendiness, a fluidity (and don't start picking apart the adjectives, this is really what he feels like, in sound and in presence, a connecter up there, the quiet positive elastic superglue of the band.And the other performances were just as exciting. A tad rusty here and there, but that (and I know I've made the point once but I'd like to re-emphasize it) is the wonderful uniqueness of alive show, the sort of thing which makes that night your special night, and the fact that now these guys ride with it, safe in the knowledge that these are the sorts of squeaks that happen when the car hasn't been driven for a while

Again, the most stunning aspect of the night to these eyes and ears was the abundant positivity up there. No games. No grumps. No motions. Just clear, raw, unfiltered and unpasteurized focus, the sort of focus that only occurs when people really, really want it. And because of that, you'll really want it too. And they won't disappoint, the proof was here.And I fel it will be here tommorow, and the next show, and the Summer Tour, and the '...Sanitarium' and their now-confirmed longevity.

There's more to say, so much more, but that's it for now. Yes it was great and yes, I'm sorry you weren't here. Really...to-be-continued
Old 05-19-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Opening acts, if you care, for the Fillmore shows.

Sunday 18th - CKY
Monday 19th - Systematic
Wednesday 21st - Depressor
Thursday 22nd - Death Angel

Also, at these shows you can get dated St. Anger club shirts for each night. About $30 each, gonna be ridiculous on eBay later
Old 05-19-03, 11:53 AM
Suspended

HOLY ****!! what a setlist!! wow
Old 05-19-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,319 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally posted by db27
Opening acts, if you care, for the Fillmore shows.

Sunday 18th - CKY
Monday 19th - Systematic
Wednesday 21st - Depressor
Thursday 22nd - Death Angel

Christ, I'd love to see the show with Death Angel. I saw Death Angel about twelve years ago, and they were absolutely kick-ass live.
Old 05-19-03, 07:14 PM
Banned

damn, i hate digipaks.

i didn't see a booklet in the picture - is there one?
Old 05-19-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by D G D
damn, i hate digipaks.

i didn't see a booklet in the picture - is there one?
yup, i'm not a big fan of digipacks either. looks like the booklet would slide into that center flap, can't tell if there is one there or not.

there will be though, that is a given (i hope)
Old 05-19-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Metallica Used by Military as Torture Tool!

from mtv.com
-------

Ever wonder how the U.S. military is getting Saddam Hussein supporters to cough up valuable information? No, they're not offering them cigarettes and lap dances, they're playing them heavy metal music and children's songs. According to a U.S. sergeant interviewed by Newsweek magazine, Iraqi prisoners have never before heard the crashing rhythms, churning guitars and growling vocals common in metal, and it affects them like Chinese water torture. Songs of choice include Metallica's "Enter Sandman" and Drowning Pool's "Bodies." Also effective is the chirpy, sing-song quality of kiddy tunes, specifically the theme to "Sesame Street" and the music of Barney. ...

This is f'n hillarious. Gotta respect the Metal!!!!!

Last edited by db27; 05-19-03 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-20-03, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey, listening to Barney would make me talk too.
Old 05-20-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fillmore Setlist for Monday 19th (show 2)

So many changes, so uncharacteristic of Metallica. I LOVE IT!!!

Blackened
No Remorse
Ride the Lightning
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
The Thing That Should Not Be
Frantic
Creeping Death
Whiplash
Leper Messiah
Master of Puppets
One
Battery
Harvester of Sorrow
Seek and Destroy
Hit the Lights
So What
Breadfan
Damage, Inc.

Now they get a night off, then 2 more shows on Wed/Thurs. OF course, I'll keep you all updated.
Old 05-20-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow those are some kick ass set lists. I wonder if they will play anything from load/reload on this tour or from now on? From the looks of this, it looks like they want to just forget that they even made them. I can't see them actually saying that, but I surely wouldn't complain to see a show like this! Not that I have anything against the load albums because I think they are decent in their own right, but you just can't deny the pure awesomeness of the first 4 records.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.