Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Metallica's "St. Anger" [Part One] [CD includes bonus DVD; due June 10!]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Metallica's "St. Anger" [Part One] [CD includes bonus DVD; due June 10!]

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Billboard Bits: Metallica

Members of Aerosmith, Blink-182, Linkin Park, and Staind have been added to the festivities of MTV's Metallica "mtvICON" special. Steven Tyler and Joe Perry from Aerosmith, Travis Barker from Blink-182, Lisa Marie Presley, Aaron Lewis and Mike Mushok from Staind, Chester Bennington from Linkin Park, and Slash will join actors Jim Breuer, Sean Penn, and Lara Flynn Boyle as presenters for the special, which will air May 6 at 9 p.m. ET/PT on MTV.

from [BILLBOARD.COM]
Old 05-01-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by gerrythedon
ST. ANGER [w/ DVD] will be $9.99... ok
Not sure about that price... Amazon has it listed at $13.49 with a list of $18.98.

Mordred
Old 05-01-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mordred
Not sure about that price... Amazon has it listed at $13.49 with a list of $18.98.

Mordred
so, is any other FN cd is listed at those prices and then they are less than sell price... so u can believe AMAZON [don't know why]all u want... list and sale prices mean S _ _ T to me...
Old 05-01-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
It'll probably be available for a good price its week or release.

$9.99 seems a bit low unless its being pushed as a loss-leader. I'd say it's a good bet that it'll be as low as $11.99 somewhere.
Old 05-02-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say if its $12.99 or lower its a bargain and Ill pick it up. $9.99 sounds TOO low and I doubt Metallica will price their stuff that low. If its more expensive though, I may have to download instead!
Old 05-02-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from [METALLICA.COM]

LIVE AT SAN QUENTIN | 05/01/2003

I noticed him standing there, shirtless, back to me, heavily tattooed. He was a skinhead, as in no hair. He wore a huge, immovable grin and black wrap sunglasses. One of the guards told me he was a 'lifer (in jail for life, no chance of parole). The initials 'FTW' were tattooed onto the nape of neck. '**** The World'. I doubted he was prone to outbursts of immovable grinning, or any displays of happiness come to think of it. Of course this man was excited that Metallica was here, but more than anything I sensed he was enjoying an all-too-rare feeling of being proud. Proud that they'd offered to do a show for the inmates. Proud that they'd donated $10,000 towards the San Quentin Giants baseball field, about 400 ft opposite the makeshift stage in the main exercise yard. But more than anything, I sensed that he was proud they'd volunteered to offer a little bit of relief from an endless stretch of time, and by doing so, to recognize that so many of these prisoners are human beings too.

No-one had imagined that this, the unorthadox but undeniably first show of the forthcoming tour for 'St Anger' (as well as Robert Trujillo's full live debut) would be at San Quentin Prison. And what would become alarmingly recurrent throughout the show was the sheer uniqueness of this situation, the reality that for everything Metallica have experienced in their career, moments like this are reminders that whatever your experience, however many albums you've sold, wherever you might have visited, there's always something, or somewhere new to go.

As I took in the slowly milling crowd before the show (inmates wandered this main exercise yard, site of the gig itself, largely untouched, yet just as it seemed you were in the middle of some inmates without a guard, two of them would suddenly just appear) I realized a) how fortunate I am and b) how much I sometimes take Metallica for granted. This feeling was heightened when a guard told me that the audience was comprised of approximately 50% lifers, who, along with other members of the population that had elected to do their time quietly and constructively as possible, witnessed a set stuffed with old favorites such as 'Creeping Death', 'For Whom The Bell Tolls'. 'Master Of Puppets' and 'Battery'. For them, this was the sort of rarity that none of us can relate to, and I found myself coming back to that thought many, many times as I tapped my foot and remembered tens of dozens of Metallica shows worldwide. For them this was it. There won't be another chance to see Metallica live again...

Considering this was Robert Trujillo's first full live performance, and considering how little time the band have had to rehearse, this was a fine performance. Loud, taut and far more often than not, very,very tight. I thought it really started to take off with 'Master Of Puppets', whilst the guys felt it happening from 'Seek And Destroy' on. The audience? Some, those in front of the tressel tables set up as a barricade, were whooping and hollering, throwing 'metal' horns to the wind, baring their tattoos for the assembled news cameras and perhaps enjoying a memory or two of shows from the old days before San Quentin was home. That was a major reminder for the whole afternoon...that whilst we all got to go home, the audience lived there.

Before the show started, James addressed the inmates much like sponsors discuss matters of emotion and rehabilitation when in treatment. '...'St. Anger' was a patron saint I made up for myself as I have struggled with anger issues all my life,' he said to the silent onlookers, 'I never knew how to get it out in a healthy way.' He then spoke of how many of the inmates had doubtless had 'a lotta misspent anger and some are paying higher consequences' whilst also sharing his fear that he might have been an inmate were it not for music whilst offering thanks for what music has given him. But his most poignant sentiment, the one which so many people fail to see on a daily basis, came when he addressed the issue of prisoners also being human beings. 'I was guilty of compartmentalizing before,' he said, 'perhaps not wanting to see the souls in here. But there are lots of souls here... and I'm not afraid to say that I love you guys.' After having at one point stopped to breathe before declaring that he was a little nervous, he concluded by saying, 'everyone is born good and we are very proud to be in your house playing music for you.'

After a presentation from the Head of the Men's Electory Committee at San Quentin, inmate Marvin Munch (quote: 'I feel you on that anger thing...people really appreciate you performing...when you leave here, let people know we have souls too!') and a certificate from the San Quentin Vietnam Veteran inmates who helped with the gear for both yesterday's video shoot and today's show, the band punched into 'Creeping Death'.

As I already mentioned, Robert Trujillo is a perfect fit both aurally and visually, and the man will not put foot or fingers wrong if this performance is anything to judge by. The tuned-down 'Seek...' was a real rumbler, but what started to become reality in this strangest of settings, was how lyrics shifted meaning because of the surroundings. Kirk mentioned noticing it during 'Creeping Death' but I really noticed it during the razor rendition of 'Master Of Puppets', James barking the words 'master master, where are the dreams that I've been after?' and instantly switching the meaning from drugs to (in many cases) this audience's life situation.

By the time 'Enter Sandman' and 'Battery' closed the set, the inmates were loose and happy, hooting, hollering, whooping and yelling, a banner stating METALLICA RULES THE WORLD flapping in the breeze, whilst the band were in full swing, tight, taut and mean. Indeed, for a moment it could've been the front row at any show stuffed full of rabid Metalliheads, sweaty tattooed torsos and a flock of arms pumping the air. But a quick glint of the razor wire, or the endless fencing, or the manned lookout towers were an instant reminder that these guys were prisoners,first and Metallifans after that.

As if to cap off the bizarre observations, beyond them in the far right and left-hand corners of the yard were two intense games of basketball and baseball, with the participants of each comfortably ignoring a gig that had fans lining the hill outside the prison walls trying to look in. You see this Metallica show, however unique and however good, came during the players' weekly 4 hour sporting time allotment. And as a guard explained to me, nothing messes with that time and nothing can drag the men away from their chosen sports, not even Metallica.

Afterwards there was a great deal of relief that everything had gone so well, and a generally huge 'stoked' vibe about Robert's firs gig, a performance where he proved beyond belief that spiritually Metallica's always been his home. And before heading out there was time for the guys, their loved ones and a few of us to take a tour of the execution chamber, yet another wholly sad and humbling experience to remind us all how Metallica's performance today will have come as such an enormous chink of light to so many.

And as we shuffled off into the night air, as the band headed back to HQ to pick up bags and take the jet down to LA for the ICON event, it was impossible not to think about the fact that many of today's audience will likely never leave, never wear different clothes and never have the luxury of choices we take for granted...

Oh, here's that set-list as it ran...

Creeping Death
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Seek and Destroy
Fade To Black
Fuel
Sad But True
Master Of Puppets
One
Enter Sandman
Battery

Steffan Chirazi, Editor So What! Magazine

Last edited by gerrythedon; 05-02-03 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-02-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The San Quentin thing kind of makes me sick. Why are they doing all this good for murderers? I don't get it.

This article makes it seem like the murderers got dealt a "bad hand" in life. NO! They CHOSE to do what they did to get in San Quentin of their own free will.

Sickening.
Old 05-02-03, 06:01 PM
Suspended

Man thats an awesome setlist!
Old 05-02-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
The San Quentin thing kind of makes me sick. Why are they doing all this good for murderers? I don't get it.

This article makes it seem like the murderers got dealt a "bad hand" in life. NO! They CHOSE to do what they did to get in San Quentin of their own free will.

Sickening.
I don't think that any one us could possibly relate to either Metallica or the inmates, simply cuz we weren't there. Metallica weren't there to judge anybody, or give anybody a second chance at life.

Clearly it made a huge impact on Metallica and crew, perhaps maybe it impacted some of those inmates in a positive way.

I doubt that they were all "murderers" either.
Old 05-03-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bay Area Newscast Video about Prison Show

http://www.kron.com/Global/story.asp...1&nav=5D7lFaH2

Cool little video from a bay area news station about the show, including some questions with the Mighty Het.

Enjoy!
Old 05-05-03, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Metallica Unveil New Song, Bassist at MTV Tribute

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Proving that no one does Metallica (news - web sites) better than Metallica, acts such as Sum 41, Limp Bizkit, Korn and Avril Lavigne (news) gamely covered songs by the hard rock group at MTV's annual tribute concert on Saturday while fans impatiently awaited a set by the honorees themselves.

Playing in public for the first time with new bassist Rob Trujillo, Metallica ran through a fast and furious medley of songs, including "Creeping Death" and "Sanitarium," before unveiling the speed-metal song "Frantic" from their upcoming album, "St. Anger."

Still a little rusty from a long layoff, Metallica performed "Frantic" twice after deciding that the first version was not to their liking. The medley also got off to a false start.

The performance capped a taping that lasted almost three hours in a soundstage at Universal Studios. MTV will air its third annual "mtvICON" event on Tuesday at 9:00-10:30 p.m. ET/PT. Fans in the audience included Kelly Osbourne (news), "American Idol" singer Ryan Starr, model Rachel Hunter (news) and record producer Rick Rubin.

The tribute kicked off with a Sum 41 medley that included "For Whom The Bell Tolls" and "Enter Sandman." The four members of Metallica then appeared on stage and walked through the excited crowd to their front-row seats on the bleachers at the end of the cavernous venue.

The band's two-decade career was documented between performances on two giant video screens. The film wasted no time probing Metallica's troubled past, beginning with an examination of bassist Jason Newsted's exit and singer James Hetfield's rehab stint. On the other hand, the respective departure and death of original members Dave Mustaine and Cliff Burton were barely acknowledged.

Aaron Lewis and Mike Mushok of Staind performed a brief version of "Nothing Else Matters" on acoustic guitar, later returning to repeat the song for technical reasons.

Lavigne, barely moving from her mike stand, sang "Fuel" with her considerably more energetic band. Drummer Lars Ulrich visibly enjoyed the version; Trujillo and guitarist Kirk Hammett seemed less enthused.

Rapper Snoop Dogg thrilled fans with a karaoke version of "Sad But True," while Korn earned a standing ovation from Metallica with their severely truncated take on "One."

Limp Bizkit, one-time targets of hatred from Ulrich who previously described the band as the Motley Crue of the '90s, played a rap metal version of "Sanitarium."

Presenters included Rob Zombie, Lisa Marie (news) Presley, Travis Barker from Blink 182, actress Shannon Elizabeth (news), comedian Jim Breuer (news) and Chester Bennington from Linkin Park. Michelle Branch (news) introduced four U.S. Marines just back from the Iraqi war, who got a loud cheers. On the other hand, anti-war activist Sean Penn (news) received scattered boos when he introduced Metallica.

Joe Perry and Steven Tyler, leaders of last year's honorees Aerosmith (news - web sites), were scheduled to appear but did not turn up. Other no-shows included guitarist Slash and actress Lara Flynn Boyle (news

from [YAHOO]
Old 05-05-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MTV Icon

looks like the highlight is going to be "Frantic", through the club vids i've heard the main riff and it is cool as hell.

it appears that this particular show, just didn't come together as well as MTV hoped, but either way should be fun to watch.

mixed reports from clubbers, all agree the boys were amazing as was "frantic".

most say avril did a decent job but didn't look like she was having fun.

sum 41 did great

korn did well, but was really short

limp got very mixed opinions, seeing as they chose such a dynamic song as "sanitarium" to play.

we'll see tuesday night.
Old 05-05-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Bay Area Newscast Video about Prison Show

Originally posted by db27
Cool little video from a bay area news station about the show, including some questions with the Mighty Het.

Enjoy!
Nice find. That reporter chick looked a little out of her element talking about Metallica tho

Mordred
Old 05-05-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

damn I wish I had frickin cable. I was contemplating getting it soley to watch this show at first, but can't decide If I watch enough TV to keep it! I hope someone rips it and posts it on the net, I kinda want to see all the performances. I wonder what Korn did so well to get a standing Ovation from metallica (I never saw the first sanitarium tour, so I have no idea what korn's rendition sounds like.)
Old 05-05-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Korn performed a bit of "one" on their live DVD... pretty cool
Old 05-05-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ah damn, gonna have to have 2 vcr's running at the same time since I won't be home tomorrow. I wonder how "fuel" sounded, since supposingly her rendition of "chop suey" was very bad (but I still wanna see it so can someone find it.)
Old 05-05-03, 04:11 PM
Suspended

limp bizkit performing Sanitarium!?! Now I have got to see that! Cant wait for tommorow!!
Old 05-06-03, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here are the air times for mtv:ICON METALLICA

All times are EST/PST
Tuesday May 6 2003 9:00 PM
Wednesday May 7 2003 06:00 PM
Friday May 9 2003 2:00 PM
Saturday May 10 2003 5:30 PM
Sunday May 11 2003 1:30 PM
Sunday May 11 2003 8:30 PM

from [METALLICA.COM]

can't wait for tomorrow... make sure to catch the first showing because MTV edits the later showings... like they did with AEROSMITH [during METALLICA's appearence]
Old 05-06-03, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

26 minutes!!!!!

Old 05-06-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Leave it to MTV to cut off the new song. That medley was awesome though. Not sure if I liked the new song, but it was hard to really hear it.

Even though i can't stand their music, I thought Limp Bizkit did awesome. Korn was awesome too.
Old 05-06-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WOW!

First off thanks to MTV for doing this, and f**k MTV for cutting off "Frantic!"

I enjoyed all of the performers. Korn rocked, Durst really had fun with Sanitarium, Avril sang very deep on Fuel and worked well, and Sum 41 did a nice little medley. Snoop was funny, Jim Breur was AWESOME. Staind was okay.

I'm dying to hear all of "Frantic" now.

"If I could have my wasted days back, then I'd get my life back on track..."

That is gonna be a sweet opener to St. Anger, with that heavy snare intro. So raw and aggressive! YEAH!!!!
Old 05-06-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, the opening to Frantic is brutal. I haven't smiled that big in a while. I'm a little undecided about the rest of it mainly because James' vocals weren't perfect... but I'm sure it really comes together on the album. Sounded to me like a song much more fitting to Trujillo's style than anything in the medley (thought he was lost in the mix). I officially can't wait now.

Mordred
Old 05-06-03, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

By the way.

Trujillo is a monster!!!!! I love his stage prescence.
Old 05-07-03, 12:35 AM
Suspended

WOW! That new song sounded so badass! The opening to that song reminded me of the Master of Puppets album type of sound! Looks like Trujillo is picking up where Jason left off, massive stage energy!

Its official....Im very excited! Its gonna be hell to wait for this new album to drop!
Old 05-07-03, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by db27
WOW!

... and f**k MTV for cutting off "Frantic!"

I'm dying to hear all of "Frantic" now.

That is gonna be a sweet opener to St. Anger, with that heavy snare intro. So raw and aggressive! YEAH!!!!
I second that [and third, etc.] on all three statements... and oh yeah F _ _ K MTV for cutting it off so soon

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.