Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Metallica's "St. Anger" [Part One] [CD includes bonus DVD; due June 10!]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Metallica's "St. Anger" [Part One] [CD includes bonus DVD; due June 10!]

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
And also I heard that there are no radio singles at all, so radio and mtv are gonna have to think of which song to play since each song is 7 min. I wonder if they are gonna put a parental advisory sticker on it, since none of the other albums have it except the symphony cd, and garage inc.
they'll do a "ONE" or "...AND JUSTICE FOR ALL" single edit as done before...

Last edited by gerrythedon; 04-17-03 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-17-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yup, it will have a parental advisory cuz there are more swears then a typical met album. *aside from live stuff of course, cuz we all know how much Het likes to drop the f bomb on stage

they are also going to release an edited copy which is common practice these days.
Old 04-17-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
I'm definitely interested in hearing this.

Frankly, the guys have been impressing me of late.

1. Pushead cover. Very old school.

2. They picked up a bass player (I had a feeling that they might just continue on as a three-piece, and use session players for touring and studio work. Also think Trujillo will be a good fit. Hopefully his funkier style will beef up their sound.)

3. Free DVD with the album

Yeah, I'll give them crap when I think they deserve it, but I'll give them credit when I think it's due, too. To me, being a fan isn't equal to blind loyalty.
Old 04-17-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Hannibal
Maybe it's a combo of the two, like this:
http://home.cablerocket.com/~devin.l...keastanger.gif
That's what I was thinking the final cover art would look like, too. That artwork just screams out to be placed within a black border.
Old 04-18-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: MTV "St. Anger" album Review

Originally posted by db27
[url]Most are at least seven minutes long; right when you think the guys are building up to a climax, they shift into a completely new rhythm. Not one track features a guitar solo, yet there's no lack of dizzying sonic firepower.
Man it's hard for me to picture Metallica songs without solos. Those guitar solos on Lightning, Puppets & The Black Album were what made me pick up the guitar in the first place. Still that review has me salivating... even if it is written by some tool at MTV.

Mordred
Old 04-19-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: MTV "St. Anger" album Review

Originally posted by Mordred
Man it's hard for me to picture Metallica songs without solos. Those guitar solos on Lightning, Puppets & The Black Album were what made me pick up the guitar in the first place. Still that review has me salivating... even if it is written by some tool at MTV.

Mordred
ya know, i'm not even sure MTV would know what a guitar solo is! so i'm not worried too much, bottom line is this is gonna be unreal. i'm sure the solo's are there, but perhaps not a 'typical' kirk solo.
Old 04-19-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Revolver mag, cover story and review

Go pick up the June issue of Revolver, Metallica is featured on the cover and it is the first domestic mag to review "st. anger" and to feature the band's new lineup that includes Rob. Also has the first 'pinup' of the band with Rob.

I'l love to transcribe the review here, but it's far too long for me to bother.

here is the basic jist of some of it though. which I stole from "st. angerrrr" on the club boards.

"now, for the record. we have all heard about the 35-40 songs being made. they ranged from fast, slow, heavy, balladly(?), etc. the 4 picks consistent with the band were the fastest, most aggressive stuff. this next part, i had not yet heard. those 4 comprise 4 songs on the record, with the other 7 being newly written after the 4 were picked. so, none of the 'rejected' 30 are on the record, just the 4 best and 7 new ones. the reviewer describes the new stuff as "loaded with more gargantuan riffs than a stack of black sabbath records, "st anger" is merciless; just when you think a song is heading for the exit, another monster riff comes along and knocks you on your ass." cool.

the band says that the previous few records were made on the basis on trying to stay traditional, this is the most uncompromising album since KEA. "

specific songs references:
"some kind of monster" - 8 minute, complex
"st. anger" - chorus = "st. anger round my neck/ he never gets respect"
"frantic" - lines = "if i could get my wasted days back/could i use them to get back on track"
Old 04-29-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The boys will be hosting the debut of MTV2's new "Headbanger's Ball." The show will be taped at H.Q. this week (we'll have exclusive photos for you) and will air on Saturday, May 10 at 11:00 PM.

[from METALLICA.COM]
Old 04-29-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was reading on another board that the new album has no guitar solos in any of the songs.......man I really wanted to give this album a chance too.
Old 04-30-03, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from [METALLICA.COM]

METALLICA BEHIND BARS | 04/29/2003

Tomorrow, Wednesday April 30th, the band will shoot a video for the title track of their upcoming album, 'St. Anger'. This will be the first track from the album going out to... wherever the **** it goes out to.

The location will not be your normal-run-of-the-mill place. Metallica is headed to the big house, not just any big house, but THE BIG HOUSE, San Quentin State Prison, spitting distance from Metallica HQ. In exchange for using the grounds, the band will perform an hour long set the next day, Thursday, for the - eh - captive audience.

The boys will be working with the Malloy Brothers to direct the video. Malloy Brothers have previously worked with, among others, the Foo Fighters, 311, plus developing and filming their own brand of Surf Movies.

Metallica.com will be there both days covering these exclusive, once in a lifetime events.
Old 04-30-03, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How much do you guys think this CD will cost with a DVD?

I was willing to give it a chance cause of the DVD, but with no guitar solos, I dont think I want to give em my cash...
Old 04-30-03, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In exchange for using the grounds, the band will perform an hour long set the next day, Thursday, for the - eh - captive audience.
eh... am I the only one who finds it seriously, seriously wrong that Metallica (or anyone for that matter) is playing a show for inmates!?!?!?!?
Old 04-30-03, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

any one else download the St. Anger Demos?

I've got 13 tracks some of them are just partials but some sound complete. I'm not sure if it's legit or not but it defiently sounds good, sounds like a CD they would've made 15 years ago.
Old 04-30-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by demonio
I was reading on another board that the new album has no guitar solos in any of the songs.......man I really wanted to give this album a chance too.
you still should, there is no confirmation of this yet, the primary source was MTV, and honestly I'm not sure that they know what solo's can be.
Old 04-30-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by JonTurner
eh... am I the only one who finds it seriously, seriously wrong that Metallica (or anyone for that matter) is playing a show for inmates!?!?!?!?

it happens all of the time, and has for years. many artists have CD's recorded in jail shows. BB king for example has 2. Cook County and San Quentin.
Old 04-30-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is fairly common practice. I've got an old Guitar magazine talking about how Ozzy Osbourne took then 19 year old Guitar phenom Zakk Wylde to play his first gig in front of inmates and being scared to death. Good way to get some practice in front of an audience and not have to worry about it being leaked out to the public.

Mordred
Old 04-30-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WhattheFFF

I've got 13 tracks some of them are just partials but some sound complete. I'm not sure if it's legit or not but it defiently sounds good, sounds like a CD they would've made 15 years ago.
If you're talking about the 13 tracks that got posted to Usenet the other day (and I assume are all over Kazaa et. al) there are only two of those tracks are even Metallica... and they're both partials with very lousy sound quality. Don't bother downloading them. (I do think it's pretty funny that someone would "leak" the demos of the album... and they aren't even the right band)

Mordred
Old 04-30-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by WhattheFFF

there are tons of fakes out there, be careful some sound a LOT like Metallica, but are not.

chance are you got some Arch Enemy stuff, somthing known as "hunger", etc..
Old 04-30-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, and songs Metallica would of done 15 years ago would have guitar solos in them.
Old 04-30-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, if Johnny Cash can do it, so can Metallica.
Old 04-30-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mordred
This is fairly common practice. I've got an old Guitar magazine talking about how Ozzy Osbourne took then 19 year old Guitar phenom Zakk Wylde to play his first gig in front of inmates and being scared to death.
I've seen pictures of Zakk Wylde from back then. Little skinny guy, big hair, massive hairspray abuse.

I don't blame him for being scared.

If I were him, I would've worn chain mail underwear and a chastity belt.
Old 05-01-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ON PAROLE... | 05/01/2003

"taken from metclub.com" as reported by Niclas

As previously reported, Metallica decided to shoot the video for the title track, "St. Anger", at The Big House - San Quentin State Prison. Here we are, back at Metallica HQ, after spending the last 18 hours at San Quentin. I think I am not only speaking for myself when I say that today's visit made a huge impression on everyone. There were many raw emotions going around between band members, crew, prison guards and inmates.

I have seen hundreds and hundreds of Metallica shows all over the world and numerous video shoots. Today's event will definitely go down in Metallica history. The band entered the prison around 7am this morning. When they took their first steps on the prison grounds, they looked at each other and knew this would not be just another video...

The first thing we are told by our designated security guard is, "San Quentin has a No hostage policy". This basically means if someone gets taken hostage there will be no negotiating, you are on your own buddy. Good morning to you too...from there our day continued.

The video was shot with the band performing at various locations throughout the compound. From outside, during the prisoners lunch break, to inside the cell block. This video was truly unique... everyone involved were authentic inmates & security guards. One of the main guards, that worked there for over 22 years, explained that no one has EVER done anything like what Metallica did here today. He further explained that when he informed the inmates about the upcoming event, the response was overwhelming. He also stated that the feeling is that music is something that everyone from guards to inmates have in common and feel very passionate about. At the end of the night, when the band were on their way home James, looking very emotional, says to the other guys - "This was the best one ever...wow".

Metallica will be back tomorrow at San Quentin to perform for the inmates, as a thanks for their help in making this video and the experience so unforgettable. Keep checking this site for more updates & pictures.

Old 05-01-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How much do you guys think this CD will cost with a DVD?
Old 05-01-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Same as without the DVD (according to their website). The DVD is free.
Old 05-01-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ST. ANGER [w/ DVD] will be $9.99... ok

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.