Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Metallica's "St. Anger" [Part One] [CD includes bonus DVD; due June 10!]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Metallica's "St. Anger" [Part One] [CD includes bonus DVD; due June 10!]

Old 04-09-03, 10:22 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm.....11 songs, 75+ minutes, it looks like they're reverting to the longer song format. (I think on the Black Album, for instance, they averaged around 5 minutes per song.)

Would be interesting to see a song-by-song length breakdown. I know that article mentioned some track durations, but I wonder what the longest tune clocks in at? The shortest?

Whatever. As long as the music's riff-tastic, I'm happy.
Old 04-10-03, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally posted by Snowmaker
Probably the same way they did for Lightning and Puppets.

I'm gonna wait until I hear this album before I buy it. I have ALL their prior stuff (aside from that $#!t live CD with the orchestra), but I've been fooled before into blind-buying based on just who the band is (Megadeth - Risk comes to mind).
come on I liked "RISK"... It was alright.
Old 04-10-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Boy, I can't wait to DOWNLOAD this....

"Napster Good!"

-k
###
Old 04-10-03, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 892 Posts
FIRE... BAD!
Old 04-10-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gerrythedon
come on I liked "RISK"... It was alright.
I know. So do I, but most people didn't. It was the best example I could think of on the spot.
Old 04-10-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally posted by inVectiVe
Hmm.....11 songs, 75+ minutes, it looks like they're reverting to the longer song format. (I think on the Black Album, for instance, they averaged around 5 minutes per song.)
size doesn't matter, it's about the motion in the ocean

i'd rather have a great 3 minute song than a boring 7 minute one
Old 04-10-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing you have to say about Metallica... they don't skip on the play time of their albums. Since the black album pretty much every disc they've released has had over 70 minutes of music.

Mordred
Old 04-10-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"... And justice for All", was 9 tracks, 65minutes long... so It can't be that BAD. Their shortest was "RIDE the LIGHTNING".
Old 04-10-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gerrythedon
MEGADETH would be NICE!

Ya I'm sure Mustaine would just JUMP at the chance to cover the band he was booted from hehe.
Old 04-11-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My 2 cents. I hope that all this build up is true. I am, like many others, unhappy with what Metallica had become. Bob Rock is the last person I want near the contols BUT I will give it a shot and I hope that they blow me away. I still remember seeing them live with Raven/Accept in a small theater and walked out dumbfounded at what I had seen (good thing).

Also, like many have said, even though I do not like the last few albums it is still better than a lot of the new 'nu' metal crap.
Old 04-14-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay folks, just want to let you know that Metallica has officially finished St. Anger. They completed the mastering process over the last few days in New York City, and now the album is done. All that is left is to finalize the artwork, but the music side of it is complete.

They are now on vacation. Over the last month they have done hundreds of interviews and are ready to take a short break. Many major magazine have already interviewed them and done photo shoots so we should see the domestic stories soon enough.

If interested, they were the cover story of a recent issue of Kerrang (UK mag) available at Borders (usually).
Old 04-14-03, 11:36 AM
Banned

Anyone know when the first single will be released?
Old 04-14-03, 02:15 PM

METALLICA <small>[thinly disguised expletive deleted]</small> rulz!!!!

Last edited by benedict; 04-14-03 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-14-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Gabe666
Anyone know when the first single will be released?
no word yet, possibly to go along with MTV icon though, first week of May is my best guess.
Old 04-15-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got this press release regarding the FREE St. Anger DVD as an added bonus. Some were concerned that it would cost more than the CD alone, this is proof positive it will not come in 2 versions, and the price won't be affected.

------
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
APRIL 11, 2003

LIVE DVD OF NEW METALLICA ALBUM TO ACCOMPANY

RELEASE OF ST. ANGER IN UNPRECEDENTED GIFT TO FANS

With palpable anticipation building for the release of their first Elektra studio album in six years - the long awaited St. Anger - Metallica continues to amaze as one of the most innovative and forward thinking bands in the history of rock. The proof this time around is the unique live performance DVD they'll be offering as an added component of the St. Anger release, scheduled to hit stores June 10.

The live, spontaneous performance, filmed and recorded - as Metallica likes to say - in 'shitty 5.1 sound, balls out, at Metallica HQ' - features the band playing all --- tracks in sequence from St. Anger. Never before has an artist designated a live DVD performance of a new album to simultaneously accompany its new studio release. The live DVD will be included as a part of St. Anger's total package at no additional cost to fans for as long as the album is sold.

A spokesperson for Elektra says the idea to create such a unique offer was hatched with typical Metallica 'aw-****-it-ness': "Metallica is a band that always over-delivers to their fans. This performance captures them in their most comfortable setting, in the studio where they recorded St. Anger. The band literally went into the next room, picked up their instruments and played, live, the album they had just finished recording. It captures them at their informal, raucous best."

This unique companion to Metallica's 8th studio album is just another example of the group's refusal to accept the status quo. Metallica enters their third decade as music's preeminent rock band. Since their inception in 1981, the group has broken countless records, becoming the #5 top selling artist in the soundscan era, garnering numerous awards - including six Grammys - and selling more than 85 million albums worldwide, achieving gold or platinum certifications in more than 40 countries. The band's most recent honor will be officially bestowed upon them by MTV on May 6th at MTV's third annual mtvICON tribute event, as the network recognizes Metallica for their 20-plus years as music innovators.

Metallica will hit the road on July 4th on their Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003, trekking throughout the U.S. with none other than Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit among others, on what is sure to be billed as THE rock juggernaut of the year.
Old 04-17-03, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[Metallica.com]

ST ANGER album cover and new 'TALLICA LOGO... check it out

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=970
Old 04-17-03, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 892 Posts
I want the red and orange one.
Old 04-17-03, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ya know, for a pushead cover, I'm kinda disappointed. I'm sure it will grow on me. Maybe I'll dig it more when the logo is put on there and such.

Last edited by db27; 04-17-03 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-17-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, seems alright... but not for an album cover. Maybe the album back... I dunno.

Am I the only one who longs for the old Metallica logo? I thought the Ninja Star was pretty cool too, and this new one isn't bad... but nothing beats the classic logo.

Mordred
Old 04-17-03, 03:17 PM

Maybe it's a combo of the two, like this:
http://home.cablerocket.com/~devin.l...keastanger.gif
Old 04-17-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Hannibal
Maybe it's a combo of the two, like this:
http://home.cablerocket.com/~devin.l...keastanger.gif

HOLY crap that is sweet, who did that? You? I hope you're right, that is a fine combo. The blackness really adds a nice dynamic.
Old 04-17-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mordred
Yeah, seems alright... but not for an album cover. Maybe the album back... I dunno.

Am I the only one who longs for the old Metallica logo? I thought the Ninja Star was pretty cool too, and this new one isn't bad... but nothing beats the classic logo.

Mordred
Yeah, I was hoping to get the classic logo back for this one, but I'll settle on the one they released. The star is great, but would not fit this particular release imo.

The fist concept is great, really expresses the rawness and anger that this album is sure to unleash, however, I'm hoping for a little bit of a darker look to it.

Time will tell.
Old 04-17-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MTV "St. Anger" album Review

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/147...headlines=true
------------------------

On their upcoming St. Anger, Metallica have settled for living in the past — and odds are fans are going to be perfectly happy with that.

Gone are the radio ballads, straightforward rock anthems, string-laden exorcisms and alternative experiments that many fans felt bogged down the band's music in recent years. On St. Anger, the band resurrects the primal power, musical self-indulgence, whiplash-inducing tempos and red-eyed rage of their first three albums, 1983's Kill 'Em All, 1984's Ride the Lightning and 1986's Master of Puppets (see "Metallica To Give Rock And Roll A Good Thrashing").

The band's last two studio LPs — Load (1996) and Reload (1997) — were written at a time when alternative and grunge were still prevalent, and both were laced with Southern boogie groove, country-rock textures, bluesy experimentation and melodic ballads, abandoning the trademark force that made Metallica the world's preeminent metal band.

Since then, the bandmembers haven't exactly been prolific. They've toured, released the B-sides and covers album Garage Inc. and a live double disc with the backing of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, S&M.

But there's been little new material, as Metallica spent more time in the courtroom than the studio, filing lawsuits against companies that infringed their trademark, including file-sharing service Napster, Victoria Secret, a tuxedo company and a wheel company. Metallica may have won their legal battles, but their vehemence made them appear greedy to some. Top that off with the January 2001 departure of bassist Jason Newsted (see "Bassist Jason Newsted Leaves Metallica") and frontman James Hetfield's stint in rehab (see "Metallica's James Hetfield Speaks From Rehab"), and it looked like the masters of metal had slipped off the rails.

With St. Anger, Metallica have firmly re-established their footing and recaptured the heavy metal throne at a time when bone-crunching rock is becoming stagnant. All 11 songs on St. Anger are brutal and uncompromising, featuring double-bass drumming and hardcore blast beats, roaring blowtorch guitars and multiple rhythm and tempo shifts. Most are at least seven minutes long; right when you think the guys are building up to a climax, they shift into a completely new rhythm. Not one track features a guitar solo, yet there's no lack of dizzying sonic firepower.

At the same time, Metallica incorporate numerous flowing melodies and engaging vocal harmonies between crushing grooves and chugging, staccato rhythms. "Shoot Me Again" blends Alice in Chains-style atmospherics with savage, percussive grind, and "Dirty Window" seesaws between another speedy firestorm rhythm and a textural, undistorted passage that sounds a little like Tom Waits.

Throughout the disc, Hetfield sounds consumed by fury and on the verge of insanity as he rails about the horror of denial, the pain of self-doubt and his need for control. Many of the lyrics seem to address his battles with the bottle and drugs. On the tornado-swirl opener, "Frantic," he screams, "My lifestyle determines my death style," and on "Sweet Amber," a track fueled by stop-start rhythms and sludgy guitars, he howls, "She deals in habits/ Deals in pain/ Run away, then I'm back again."

Bob Rock's production on St. Anger matches the album's desperate, intense vibe. The man who gave the group such a commercial sheen on their best selling disc, 1991's Metallica, keeps things dirty and raw. Not only does the disc capture the urgency of St. Anger's creation, it sometimes sounds like it was recorded during a colossal jam session in a garage. The drums have a tinny ring, the guitars a vicious echo and sometimes Hetfield's voice sounds a tad unpolished.

As Metallica were working on St. Anger, they clearly felt like they had something to prove. "I hurt inside/ I hide inside, but I'll show you," Hetfield sings on "Invisible." That conviction provided incentive to — as Hetfield so eloquently puts it on "All Within My Hands" — "Kill, kill, kill, kill, kill."

Avril Lavigne, Korn, Limp Bizkit Sum 41 will salute Metallica on "mtvICON: Metallica," airing May 6 at 9 p.m. ET/PT (see "Avril, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Sum 41 Set For 'mtvICON: Metallica'").

—Jon Wiederhorn
Old 04-17-03, 06:13 PM
Suspended

Most are at least seven minutes long; right when you think the guys are building up to a climax, they shift into a completely new rhythm.
Old 04-17-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And also I heard that there are no radio singles at all, so radio and mtv are gonna have to think of which song to play since each song is 7 min. I wonder if they are gonna put a parental advisory sticker on it, since none of the other albums have it except the symphony cd, and garage inc.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.