Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Madonna pulls a fast one on illegal downloaders!

Old 04-22-03, 09:54 AM
Banned

You can check it out at "the leak" on mtv.com.

it's been up for about a week.
Old 04-22-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Funny...i don't really like it...coming from someone who is rabid. She's getting some really shitty reviews for it as well.

I'd have to say that I just listened to "Music" the other day and the ONLY highlight is Impressive Instant. If I put that on repeat for 50 minutes, I absolutely love the album.
I'm not "rabid", but I am a fan and I was very disappointed. But I blame Mirwais. Rather than moving upward [Which is what we're accustomed to with a new Madonna album], this album is a more of a lateral move. Most, if not all of these tracks sound like "Music" throwaways.

Disappointing.

That said, i'm still buying it later today.
Old 04-22-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can check it out at "the leak" on mtv.com.
Thanks for the heads-up. I don't venture to MTV (the channel or website) all that much anymore. Anyway, I listened to snippets of half of the album. Eh, looks like I won't be getting this right away. Maybe as a free selection through BMG in a few months.
Old 04-22-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw her on The Today Show.

All I can say is:

Completely Awful.
Old 04-22-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

**Warning: the below image is slightly....

[.... edited because it goes against what the board software would normally censor if it was text and not a graphic]
Fair enough... here's the link and story. Hilarious stuff:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...nasplash1.html

Last edited by Hiro11; 04-22-03 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-22-03, 01:18 PM
Banned

Just picked up the album...

Have to say I like it better than what I heard from the downloads...proving that quality REALLY does matter. And yes, I agree with Rogue that this is a complete lateral move and if she were to re-team with anyone it should have been William Orbit. Mirwais is getting on my damn nerves.

If you missed the Today show...you can see the same thing on Dateline next week...

And don't forget Will and Grace this week...the MTV concert tonight...the Tower Records In Store performance/signing tomorrow...regis and Kelly on Friday...etc etc etc

Off topic.....Rogue....i picked the album up in Chelsea (the gayest part of our gay city) and it was just a bunch of guys running around Best Buy trying to find it. Very funny...and LOTS of cuties. Further proving my point that I've NEVER known a straight madonna fan.
Old 04-22-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh god, she has some sort of crappy special on MTV right now. Hearing her rap was quite possibly one of the stupidest things in music history.
Old 04-22-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
...if she were to re-team with anyone it should have been William Orbit.
Mirwais is getting on my damn nerves.
Off topic.....Rogue....i picked the album up in Chelsea (the gayest part of our gay city) and it was just a bunch of guys running around Best Buy trying to find it. Very funny...and LOTS of cuties. Further proving my point that I've NEVER known a straight madonna fan.
Umm...my name is Rogue588...pleased ta meet ya. It's okay though, as the only hetero Prince fan [That I know..], i'm used to the misunderstanding..
Old 04-23-03, 09:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by the aftermath
Oh god, she has some sort of crappy special on MTV right now. Hearing her rap was quite possibly one of the stupidest things in music history.
It's amusing that the rap is only part of the song my mother liked. I was surprised. I think it's cool...and different for her, that's for sure.
Old 04-23-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just forced myself to listen to the song "American Life". My god that was horrible. Juvenile, naive and irritating beyond belief, both melodically and lyrically. My favorite lyrics from the song:

"- that's why I wrote this song -"

...and then, later...

"I'd like to express my extreme point of view / I'm not a Christian and I'm not a Jew -"

...but the peak is reached when Madge utters this incredibly original phrase:

"nothing is what it seems".

Thank god I can put on a Velvet Underground record anytime and purge my head of this infernal crap.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 04-23-03 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-23-03, 01:36 PM
zig

I think this is kind of stupid. I've downloaded songs that turned out to be 20 second clips of the beginning of the song repeated over and over, obviously as an attempt to stop piracy. I think that's a much better method, because you still get a tase of all the songs, yet you're left wanting more. Whereas with the "what the **** do you think you're doing" message, people don't get to hear any of the MUSIC, and probably just get annoyed. Just shows to me that she cares more about money than music.
Old 04-23-03, 02:23 PM
Cool New Member

I think that what is funny is that if this was the Madonna of old, people in the mainstream would be having a freaking field day with this..."Who dare she cuse out my child" would be the story on Hard Copy and every damn news service award.

But the new more 'motherly' and 'accepted' Madonna says the 'f' word directed at anybody and it is alright? Why all of a sudden the difference?

Granted, if I had a child, I don't believe for an instance that I would censor my cursing or protect my child from it because they are going to here it no matter where the hell they go...

But...could Madonna have gotten the point accross simply by saying "what are you doing?" (Just playing devils advocate here.)

As for the album...I have no use for it. The first single leaves me cold and after the last CD from her, "Music," I am simply not interested in her anymore. I never thought that I would say that and I have been along with her for the ride since she began. What is different this time? I always looked before at what she did was simple marketting strategy...the problem is that now I believe that she actually believes the BS that she has been spilling for years as being the truth.
Old 04-23-03, 04:12 PM
Banned

For all those Madonna bashers out there:

* HITS MAGAZINE reports that Madonna's "American Life" will debut at # 1 on the US album chart NEXT WEEK. Based on first day sales, they "estimate" that the CD will sell between 200,000 & 250,000 copies.
Old 04-23-03, 04:34 PM
zig

98 Degrees sold a lot of albums too.

Good music will never be as popular as pop music.
Old 04-23-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For all those Madonna bashers out there:

* HITS MAGAZINE reports that Madonna's "American Life" will debut at # 1 on the US album chart NEXT WEEK. Based on first day sales, they "estimate" that the CD will sell between 200,000 & 250,000 copies.
Are you Madonna or one of her relatives/friends? Just curious.
Old 04-23-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You mean the record-buying public's taste is suspect, again? What a shock.
Old 04-23-03, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Rod Thorn
Are you Madonna or one of her relatives/friends? Just curious.
Nope..just a fan since around 83 or 84. I was 5.

Haven't stopped since then because there's been no reason to. She hasn't...so why should I?

Just because I don't bash her when it becomes in vogue to do so doesn't mean I'm related.
I just don't go along with what seems popular at the time.
Old 04-25-03, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just because I don't bash her when it becomes in vogue to do so doesn't mean I'm related.
I will allow every artist the benefit of the doubt. If you look at my post above I pointed out specific aspects of the song "American Life" that I hated. And I could go on and on.

Besides, not all of us are bashing Madonna; I, for one, am only criticizing the music she produced, not her personality etc. Still, I do want to point out that the fact that "American Life" begins with the rhetorical(?) question "Do I have to change my name?" must be the irony to end all ironies. Talk about career advice!

And record sales are really not a valid measured of the value of something. We all knew this album would sell, if only for its shamelessly opportunistic title and "theme" as well as the fact that this kind of s**t is popular with the "club scene". But is it a memorable album that will stand the test of time? Despite its #1 spot on album charts "American Life" is the musical equivalent of fast food.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 04-25-03 at 02:46 AM.
Old 04-25-03, 07:49 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

Besides, not all of us are bashing Madonna; I, for one, am only criticizing the music she produced, not her personality etc. Still, I do want to point out that the fact that "American Life" begins with the rhetorical(?) question "Do I have to change my name?" must be the irony to end all ironies. Talk about career advice!
Wait wait wait...

are you suggesting that Madonna isn't her real name???

LOL...if that's the case you know VERY little about her.