DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Saddest Songs [that make you cry, teary-eyed, or emotional] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/278573-saddest-songs-%5B-make-you-cry-teary-eyed-emotional%5D.html)

Rypro 525 03-15-03 03:28 PM

Songs that make you cry, teary eyed, or emotional?

all can make fun of me if you want
"My Imortal" Evanecence
"Everybody Hurts" REM
"Tears in Heaven" Eric Clapton
"Beautiful" Christina Aguliera

Geofferson 03-15-03 04:03 PM

Nothing does this to me more than the theme from The Natural.

mcbg1 03-15-03 04:06 PM

' Can't Take That Away ' Mariah Carey

' Hero ' Mariah Carey

blinkin_winkin 03-15-03 04:35 PM

"Here You Me" by Jimmy Eat World used to do it to me.
"The Hand Song" by Nickel Creek
"Dreaming Tree" by Dave Matthews Band
"Hurt" by Johnny Cash is getting me currently

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Aaron

conscience 03-15-03 05:21 PM

I was doing a report on a poem in my English class in high school and we got a chance to play a song that related to it. I played "Tears in Heaven: Unplugged Version" and I swear everyone was either crying or in a somber mood after that.

That song gets me every time.

The Last Song by Elton John. I <i>cannot</i> watch the end of And the Band Played on.

Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead. Not so much the lyrics, but Yorke's voice.

hmurchison 03-15-03 05:42 PM

Rypro 525- Excellent choices.

I'd say.

Stevie Wonder- These Three Words. It's not sad but for a Man to profess his love openly is worthy of anyones tears.

tofu 03-15-03 06:16 PM

"With or Without You" U2. The end just tears me up.

Rypro 525 03-15-03 06:53 PM

More recently for some reason "It's been awhile" by Staind gets to me since it sort of reminds me of a friend I haven't seen in a few years.

Ergyu 03-15-03 07:48 PM

Nothing on a regular basis, but watching Tool live does it, and a few tracks depending on how depressed I am at any given time:

Immortality, Nothing Man, Black, Garden, Release - Pearl Jam

Down in a hole, Rotten Apple, Nutshell - Alice in Chains

das Monkey 03-15-03 08:44 PM

Holes in the Floor of Heaven - Steve Wariner
Sleeping in Light [Instrumental] - Christopher Franke
In Pictures - Alabama
Overcome - Live
Who Wants to Live Forever - Queen
Nightswimming, Everybody Hurts - R.E.M.
Heaven Can Wait - Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman
Wish I Could Stay - Anthony Stewart Head and Amber Benson
Bridge Over Troubled Water - Paul Simon
Never Say Goodbye - Bon Jovi
Desperado - The Eagles
Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton
The First Time - Surface
One For the Road ... - Frank Sinatra
Sister - The Nixons
Landslide - Fleetwood Mac
And So it Goes - Billy Joel
Becoming, Part II [Instrumental] - Christophe Beck
Dear John - Styx
Through Her Eyes - Dream Theater
If We Hold on Together - Diana Ross
Amazing Grace - The Pipes of Scotland
You'll Never Walk Alone, Ave Maria - Any Good Performance

Yeah, I'm a wuss. My memories have always had a soundtrack, and these songs trigger thoughts of events in my life that are particularly emotional. The only one that makes me weep is Franke's 'Sleeping in Light' theme. If I ever become an actor and needed to sob like a baby on queue, a few bars of that will do the trick.

das

MJKTool 03-15-03 08:49 PM

Probably Landslide by Fleetood mac (not dixie chicks), as this song came on the radio on the way to my uncle's funeral. Every time I hear it now it reminds me of him.

das Monkey 03-15-03 08:51 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE> Quoth MJKTool <HR SIZE=1>Probably Landslide by Fleetood mac (not dixie chicks), as this song came on the radio on the way to my uncle's funeral. Every time I hear it now it reminds me of him. <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's really amazing how music can do this. As I said above, nearly every significant moment in my life has been marked by a piece of music. And as long as I live, I'll never be able to shake the emotional connection.

das

MJKTool 03-15-03 08:57 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
<BLOCKQUOTE> Quoth MJKTool <HR SIZE=1>Probably Landslide by Fleetood mac (not dixie chicks), as this song came on the radio on the way to my uncle's funeral. Every time I hear it now it reminds me of him. <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's really amazing how music can do this. As I said above, nearly every significant moment in my life has been marked by a piece of music. And as long as I live, I'll never be able to shake the emotional connection.

das

You and me both. Thats one of the things I love about music. I have tons of albums and songs that bring me back to a certain (be it good, bad or sad ) time in my life, some more than others.

Rypro 525 03-15-03 09:59 PM

good point, many songs can be total crap and pointless to one person, and be the song that makes you cry or reminds you of someone to another person.

Buttmunker 03-16-03 01:07 AM

Ever since I was a kid, "Torn Between Two Lovers" by Mary McGregor always made me feel bad/sad/mad.

"Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks (there's a grandfather connection there for me)

Mr. Self Destruct 03-16-03 09:44 AM

I'm not sure why but Audioslave's "Like A Stone" sort of gets under my skin. It might just be Chris' voice on it.

Particularly:

And on I read
Until the day was gone
And I sat in regret
Of all the things I've done
For all that I've blessed
And all that I've wronged
In dreams until my death
I will wonder on

I love it even still.

candyrocket786 03-16-03 10:15 AM

Sleeping Sun - by Nightwish

palebluedot 03-16-03 11:08 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey

das

das you should listen to Somewhere Over the Rainbow or What a Wonderful World by Eva Cassidy. That should get you going, it does it for me.

remjim 03-16-03 11:13 AM

At the moment anything by Nick Cave. It reminds me too much of my recently departed ex-girlfriend. Hopefully in a few months time I'll be able to listen to Nick with only the usual sense of gloom. :(

Duckie 03-16-03 02:21 PM

For me, music that is overtly emotive of sadness doesn't sweep me down with it at all. It can set or accomodate a mood for sure, but even listening to Joy Division won't force a tear on sentiment alone. Ok, so I'm a robot.

What DOES move me is the rare alchemy between vocals and music... free lyrical association that can be at once personal and universal... combining imperfectly to form a sort of perfect poetry. In awe of such achievement I may have teared up just once or twice. A song with such power that comes to mind is the Mekons' Ghosts of American Astronauts. I've always loved this song, but somehow "a flag flying free in a vacuum" is especially prescient.

fallow 03-16-03 03:51 PM

Hmm, I'm kind of at a loss right now...the only song that ever made me cry was "Broken Heart" by Spiritualized, but that was because the first I heard it was about 10 minutes after a break-up. I won't go any deeper than that.

Lately, "Metal Heart" by Cat Power has been doing something to me inside...not sure what though. Its been pulling me in two directions: loss and hope. Very very strange.

remjim 03-16-03 04:13 PM

Originally posted by fallow

Lately, "Metal Heart" by Cat Power has been doing something to me inside...not sure what though. Its been pulling me in two directions: loss and hope. Very very strange. [/B]
I find that the music that moves me the most is the kind that provokes those two emotions. Which is why I love The Verve so much.

Da Thrilla 03-16-03 04:17 PM

Boyz II Men - It's So Hard To Say Goodbye (To Yesterday)
Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men - One Sweet Day
Pearl Jam - Last Kiss
P. Diddy, Faith Evans and 112 - I'll Be Missing You
Bone Thugs N' Harmony - Tha Crossroads (the original version)

Jack Straw 03-16-03 05:21 PM

Gunner's Dream - Roger Waters aka Pink Floyd

Spike Jonze 03-16-03 05:49 PM

I'm Bound To Pack It Up by The White Stripes gets me every time.