DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Saddest Songs [that make you cry, teary-eyed, or emotional] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/278573-saddest-songs-%5B-make-you-cry-teary-eyed-emotional%5D.html)

madcougar 04-30-07 12:01 PM

Going with the parental theme: Mama by Boys II Men and Dance With My Father by the late Luther Vandross.

eisenreich 05-03-07 09:51 AM

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
Death Cab for Cutie - I'll Follow You into the Dark
Elliott Smith - Angeles
Joni Mitchell - Both Sides, Now
The Cure - Pictures of You
Johnny Cash - Hurt
U2 - 'With or Without You' / 'Where the Streets Have No Name'
Coldplay - Trouble
John Lennon - Imagine
Damien Rice - 'Cannonball' / 'The Blower's Daughter'

Talkin2Phil 05-03-07 11:07 AM

Sam Stone-John Prine

redhenry 05-03-07 10:47 PM

I always well up when I hear Hall and Oates' version of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling".

redhenry 05-03-07 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by big whoppa
"I Can't Make You Love" by Bonnie Raitt or George Michael always does it for me. Personal connection for me.

Same for me and Bonnie's "Dimming of the Day". That woman has such an emotive voice!

kjn6371 05-04-07 02:01 PM

'Never Saw Blue Like That' - Shawn Colvin.

islandclaws 05-05-07 01:24 PM

Frank Sinatra - My Way. Gets me everytime.

Dalvin 05-05-07 06:14 PM

Excellent calls on all of those picks

Xanager 05-05-07 06:55 PM

"The Lighthouse's Tale" - Nickel Creek

Nesbit 05-06-07 02:44 PM

There aren't any songs that make me cry but here are some that get to me -

Nobody Home - Pink Floyd
Estranged - Guns N Roses
Me and Bobby Mcgee - Janis Joplin (My mom's favorite song)
Pinkerton (album as a whole) - Weezer
Hurt - Johnny Cash

Xanager 05-06-07 04:20 PM

The 25 Most Exquisitely Sad Songs in the Whole World
link seen on digg.com

conscience 05-07-07 08:16 AM

Sarah McLachlan - Fear

MovieMaster11 05-08-07 04:02 PM

Death Cab for Cutie: Lack of Color

CharlieK 05-09-07 02:37 PM

'Gunner's Dream' - Pink Floyd

Jack Straw 12-17-13 10:57 PM

Re: Saddest Songs [that make you cry, teary-eyed, or emotional]

Remo Giazotto - Adagio in G minor

I recommend you remove all firearms and knives before playing.

Norm de Plume 01-08-15 05:30 PM

Reviving this thread once again. I find this very brief song very touching, even though I can't relate to the religious aspect. Anyone who has lost a parent or loved one can hardly fail to be moved. Rick Springfield wrote it in memory of his beloved dad.

The song is called "April 24, 1981". The video was made by a user as a tribute to his/her dad.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ljW66yF7Rl8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

printerati 01-09-15 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by fliggil (Post 7804074)
Samuel Barber's 'Adagio for Strings' is the saddest piece of music I've ever heard, and I believe it's actually been awarded the honor in a number of polls.

I know I'm years too late, but that's a good one. The ending theme to the S. Korean film Memories of Murder is also pretty haunting, even more so if you know what preceded it:

van der graaf 01-10-15 12:07 AM

Regina Spektor - Chemo Limo
Banco - La notte è piena
Sigur Rós - Íllgresi

Trevor 01-10-15 08:53 AM

I know I'll likely be alone in this thread/subforum with this, but am I that weird in that I don't listen to words in music?

I consider myself a music fan and listen to and buy music all the time. But I'm in it for the sound and tonal quality (if that's a thing) of the words, and not what the actual words say. I obviously remember some partial lyrics from sheer repetition, but I couldn't give you the majority of the lyrics to any song.

I could never cry from a song.

Why So Blu? 01-10-15 09:01 AM

When I broke up with my last GF like 4 years ago I couldn't get this Kiss song out of my head. It was very poignant at that particular time.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XnbjuLpOZPw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kenbuzz 01-10-15 12:26 PM

I'm unfamiliar with that song, but I presume it follows the Kiss formula: Two lines, repeated over and over and over again?

kd5 01-10-15 02:47 PM

I posted this in Gator Deb's thread of the same basic theme... http://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/...ke-up-cry.html

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VrbgbL-iIOY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Uriah Heep – Rain

It's raining outside
But that's not unusual
But the way that I'm feeling
Becoming usual
I guess you could say
The clouds are moving away
Away from your days
And into mine

Now it's raining inside
It's kind of a shame
And it's getting to me
A happy man
Why should you want to
Waste all my time
The world is yours
But I am mine

Rain, rain, rain in my tears
Measuring carefully my years
Shame, shame, shame in my mind
See what you've done to my life

See what you've done to my life

Why So Blu? 01-10-15 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz (Post 12358771)
I'm unfamiliar with that song, but I presume it follows the Kiss formula: Two lines, repeated over and over and over again?

Nope. When Gene, Paul, and Vinnie wrote together they produced some of the best songs on any of those particular albums. Vinnie also wrote on Revenge. That's the last best Kiss album, IMO.

stvn1974 01-10-15 03:21 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...inloureed.jpeg

This album should come with straight razor and a bottle of sleeping pills. The song "The Bed" is still the saddest thing ever written.

Norm de Plume 01-10-15 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12358649)
I know I'll likely be alone in this thread/subforum with this, but am I that weird in that I don't listen to words in music?

I consider myself a music fan and listen to and buy music all the time. But I'm in it for the sound and tonal quality (if that's a thing) of the words, and not what the actual words say. I obviously remember some partial lyrics from sheer repetition, but I couldn't give you the majority of the lyrics to any song.

I could never cry from a song.

I'm normally this way, too. That's why it's called music, not poetry. But the sound of a piece of music can be extremely moving or evoke a memory that makes one emotional. I don't weep either, but I do find some pieces of music touching.