DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Like Phil Collins with Genesis/Dislike Phil Collins Solo (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/278493-like-phil-collins-genesis-dislike-phil-collins-solo.html)

Buttmunker 03-15-03 02:16 AM

Like Phil Collins with Genesis/Dislike Phil Collins Solo

I don't know whether its because of the "group dynamic" thing, but Phil Collins solo music really doesn't appeal to me (with the exception of "Easy Lover" with Philip Bailey), while most of the material by Genesis with Collins on drums/vocals is quite enjoyable (I used to sing "That's All" when I was 14 and used to think the lyric was "That Song" until I was corrected by my step sister).

You'd think, hmm...Phil Collins puts out double the music, good, great, wonderful because he's with a group, and then he's solo, back/forth/back/forth...but no dice with his solo stuff, man. Anyone else?

atlantamoi 03-15-03 06:37 AM

I don't know. I don't think about Phil that much. I guess if I was forced to decide, I'd say the Genesis stuff really is a lot better.

Brain Stew 03-15-03 08:29 AM

"Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite."
-Patrick Bateman

Fielding Mellish 03-15-03 10:37 AM

Say what you will about his later solo work, but I still think Face Value is a damn fine album.

Scorpio 03-15-03 10:40 AM

I love Genesis and love Phil Collins' solo albums through But Seriously. After that, I somewhat fell away from his solo work. I recently found out that he had released three albums since then.

The Antipodean 03-15-03 12:21 PM

The last decent Genesis album was "Invisible Touch" -- even "I Can't Dance," the last Phil Genesis album, showed a lot of Phil suckiness slipping there. I admit to finding a lot of Phil's solo early work a guilty pleasure ("Easy Lover," "Billy Don't Lose My Number," "Two Hearts") but it's like the man took a sap pill around 1989 or so, I haven't read heard a decent song from him since then, all bland adult pop radio stuff. Sure, his early stuff was cheesy pop too, but it was at least good cheesy pop...

bigjim25 03-15-03 04:01 PM

Re: Like Phil Collins with Genesis/Dislike Phil Collins Solo

Originally posted by Buttmunker Anyone else?
I like him either way but I have a friend who is opposite of what you say. He can't stand Genesis but likes Phil Collins. Go figure. :D

conscience 03-15-03 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Brain Stew
"Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite."
-Patrick Bateman

:lol: Ah. I better pop in American Psycho..again.

I don't want to turn this into a discussion about the film, but I will say this: I love when Bale goes into Bateman's thoughts on music. He is so nonchalant, but informative.

"Sabrina. Remove your dress."
"Sabrina, why don't you dance a little. Take the lyrics to LAND OF CONFUSION."

On Topic, I believe I am 50/50 on this question. I like his music from the group and his solo stuff. There are songs I like and dislike from both.

I am in the middle, bud.

But if I had to go with anything from Genesis that would be Peter Gabriel lead. It was much more darker and melodic.

valkyrie 03-16-03 03:48 PM

I was a HUGE genesis fan thoughout most of the Phil years. I think their last CD, "I can't dance" was far and away the best, but that's me. I do agree that "In too deep" may be one of the best songs of all time, though. As for his solo stuff, Phil peaked when he won the Grammy in 88 with But Seriously, then dropped a bit into the mellow with Both Sides of the Story, and then dropped off the radar with the subsequent CD's. I really like his first (and only, to my knowledge) song off the new one, "I can't stop loving you." Great song, very reminescent of his older stuff.

I do wish they would get back together and record another CD. Phil's vocals in combo with Tony and Mike's writing and music just made some great tunes.

If you like Genesis (Phil-style), pick up the box set. It's got some great b-sides, unreleased, and rare stuff that's a must-have for any serious fan.

Scot1458 03-18-03 09:22 AM

GENESIS is my favorite band, bar none. I love them all, from TRESPASS to CALLING ALL STATIONS.

Just saw GRAND PARADE in Chicago, they do Gabriel Genesis, great show!!!

Out of their solo careeres, with PETE's being the best one without question, I find Phil's the hardenst to get into. His early stuff is great, but after BUT SERIOUSLY, I have a tough time with his stuff.

"Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility.

Don't say that in a Genesis forum! Most of them will tar and feather you if you claim IT is even an AVERAGE album, let alone their best.

I like all their albums, though IT does have some poor songs on it, but then again it has LAND OF CONFUSSION, DOMINO, TONIGHT X3, and THE BRAZILLIAN.

Old Genesis isn't for everybody, but if you love DUKE, you MUST pick up WIND AND WUTHERING, A TRICK OF THE TAIL, and AND THEN THERE WERE THREE.

All three have Phil, and are just incredible.

I do wish they would get back together and record another CD. Phil's vocals in combo with Tony and Mike's writing and music just made some great tunes.

I don't think it's going to happen. Phil and even Steve Hackett said they are ready to go, but Tony Banks has too much pride, after the Calling All Stations project failed (which to me, is a fantastic album).

If you like Genesis (Phil-style), pick up the box set. It's got some great b-sides, unreleased, and rare stuff that's a must-have for any serious fan.

There are two boxsets. Archive 1 has the Peter Gabriel material , and Archive 2 has the Phil Collins material, and while some great stuff is on there (B-Sides) the live tracks are heavily overdubbed, and they could have put SO much more on there.

But the set is worth it alone for the live versions of DEEP IN THE MOTHERLODE, ENTAGLED, BURING ROPE, DREAMING WHILE YOU SLEEP.