DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Saw Flogging Molly in concert again (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/276926-saw-flogging-molly-concert-again.html)

BJacks 03-08-03 05:36 PM

Saw Flogging Molly in concert again

Wow, still one of the best live bands around. Irish punk/rock, incredible vocals and one of the most powerful presences of anyone I've seen.

They're rapidly climbing up the visability charts (their song ended a recent episode of The Shield), so I recommend everyone see them now before they start playing huge arenas (which they did on Vans Warped tour).

Check out http://floggingmolly.com/ontheroad.html for their tour dates, and go see them! If you do and don't like it, I'll eat a guitar string.

People in OH, MI, IL, MN, NE, CO, MT, ID, OR, WA, BC, and CA: Buy your tickets now!

http://floggingmolly.com/images/phot...t/DSCN0665.JPG

Goat3001 03-09-03 12:28 AM

I saw Flogging Mollys with Andrew WK once. I wasn't expecting much and I was pleasently surprised. They didn't impress me that much (I'm not much of a punk fan), but I enjoyed them. If you're into punk I guess you'll like them so check them out.

DJLinus 03-09-03 12:59 AM

Looking at the free weekly newspaper here tonight in a bar, I found out they are coming to Columbus with the Bosstones this Friday. A friend of mine wanted to go, but he has already made plans for that night. Even though I don't really like going to these types of things alone, I may just have to in this case.

woofman 03-09-03 04:32 PM

My friend is trying to convince me to go, I've seen the Bosstones several times, and heard FM puts on a good show as well so I may just have to check it out.

nodeerforamonth 03-10-03 02:08 PM

They're not "punk" in the traditional sense.

They play great quality thrashy Irish folk music. More like the Pogues than the Sex Pistols!

As someone who's seen them about a dozen times, I must say they do deliver every time! Not a band to miss (if you're into great fun music and good times)!

37 In A Row 03-11-03 11:45 AM

They are a great live band. They are attracting a different crowd now though since the Warped Tour.

BJacks 03-11-03 01:32 PM

Originally posted by 37 In A Row
They are attracting a different crowd now though since the Warped Tour.
As long as they stay true to their roots, works for me. On a related note, the band just announced they'll be playing the Jimmy Kimmel Show on St. Patrick's Day.

nodeerforamonth 03-11-03 02:08 PM

They always used to play in San Diego on St Patricks Day. Once they did Las Vegas instead and played SD the next night.

Dave's voice was totally shot and he couldn't sing a word after 3 songs. Didn't matter. The crowd was so loud singing along, you wouldn't have been able to hear him anyways.

DJLinus 03-12-03 06:24 PM

They are a great live band. They are attracting a different crowd now though since the Warped Tour.
So, what is the new crowd like? And, for that matter, what was the old crowd like? Just curious.

Just found out that the Tossers will be playing with them, as well. That just sweetens the deal.

DJLinus 03-12-03 07:37 PM

So, what is the new crowd like? And, for that matter, what was the old crowd like? Just curious.

Just found out that the Tossers will be playing with them, as well. That just sweetens the deal.

37 In A Row 03-13-03 11:48 AM

The first time I saw them was in a small club (the same one nodeerforamonth saw them me thinks). The crowd was your usual indie hipster dofuses 25-30. I saw them a couple of other times at the same club on St. Pat's and the crowds got bigger. Last year they played at a large club and the crowd was 21-23 with liberty spikes and "punk" style. I also saw them at an in-store and I'd guess that most of the people there couldn't leagally order a pint. Maybe it's having them play with the punk rawk kids or maybe it's them being on the soundtrack of Tony Hawk 4 but I think they are attracting a younger fan base and still including their older. They certainly are great live and I would encourage you see them if you haven't already! They are coming here in April and I haven't decided yet if I'm going or not.

nodeerforamonth 03-13-03 01:42 PM

The first time I saw them was in a small club (the same one nodeerforamonth saw them me thinks). I saw them a couple of other times at the same club on St. Pat's and the crowds got bigger.
Casbah?

Last year they played at a large club
4th & B?

I also saw them at an in-store
Lou's Records?

37 In A Row 03-14-03 11:10 AM

3 for 3 ndfam!

DJLinus 03-15-03 12:01 AM

Well, just got back from having my live FM experience cherry popped and must say it was great. The show was sold out and the crowd was definately younger. I was in the Parents and Other Old People section because it had - gasp - a place to sit (yeah, I'm getting old). The band had tons of energy, even for being sick. They opened with "The Likes of You Again" (my personal fave), closed with "Salty Dog" (another one) and encored with a long version of "Delilah" - which was great.

I haven't bought a concert shirt in years, so I was surprised to see that they were selling them for $15. Should've bought two.

The Tossers did a fine job. I'd never seen anyone wear a mandolin low, punk rock style till I saw the lead singer. Pretty cool.

The Bosstones did well, too, but my interest in them has waned a lot since college. It gave me a chance to visit the merch table while no one else was there. Truthfully, I was hoping they'd go on last so I could get home earlier (again, I'm old).

I could've done without all of the anti-Bush sentiments from the bands, but that is a topic for another forum.

And, I must say, I am a convert for ear plugs. I think this may be only the second show where I wore them and it really didn't hamper my enjoyment at all. Hell, I feel great right now. If only I would've started wearing them when I was a teenager. And I should've put them on tonight while I was in line, just so I wouldn't have to listen to all of the "punker than thou" conversations.

DJLinus 03-17-03 11:46 AM

Just a lil' bump in honor of St. Patty's Day and to remind y'all that FM will be on Jimmy Kimmel's show tonight.