Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Spin Magazine's Top 40 Most Important Artists making music right now.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-07-03, 12:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

40. Sleater-Kinney
The den mothers of the grrrl-rock nation and one hell of a guitar band. Upcoming: An April mini-tour with Pearl Jam.

39. Jimmy Eat World
The best arena-rock band in emo America.

38. 50 Cent
Ex-crack dealer and mad-flowing mix-tape king teams up with Dr. Dre and Slim Shady.

37. Zwan
Billy Corgan tones down the metal--and the megalomania--and is suddenly fronting a great band again. Smashing!

36. Dave Matthews Band
Jamland's Prince Charming is secretly turning into a funk fiend, and we can get with that.

35. The Used
Kelly Osbourne's boyfriend survives life in Utah, makes metallic noise about it. Upcoming: Part of this year's Warped Tour.

34. Sigur Rós
Abstract-scatting space-rockers from Iceland who don't need no damn lyric sheets.

33. Felix Da Housecat
Chicago house producer becomes a pied piper for the electroclash massive.

32. The Vines
Aussie nü-grungers keep AC/DC's legacy of rock-star excess alive and kicking.

31. Avril Lavigne
The best thing to happen to teen-girl rebellion since Judy Blume.

30. Audioslave
Chris Cornell and Rage Against the Machine carry on after The Battle of Los Angeles.

29. Ryan Adams
The hot, young torchbearer of roots rock has balls enough to open stadium shows for the Rolling Stones, then spoof "Beast of Burden" at benefit shows.

28. Lucinda Williams
The best roots-rocker in America just hit 50 and is better than ever. Upcoming: New album, World Without Tears, due in April.

27. The Flaming Lips
Every generation deserves its own Sgt. Pepper's-era Beatles; these confetti-strewing, anime-loving psych-poppers are ours.

26. Foo Fighters
A hard-charging New Order to Nirvana's Joy Division, led by rock's nicest guy and biggest Missy Elliott fan.

25. System of a Down
Prog metal's greatest time-signature-moshing radicals strive to grow weirder facial hair, end capitalism.

24. The Donnas
Cock rock's greatest girl group are finally ripping up MTV in fine Joan Jett fashion.

23. Nas
Jay-Z's nemesis comes off their feud with God's Son, his best album in almost a decade.

22. Interpol
Gothy pop rock just like the old days--just less, y'know, depressing.

21. The Streets
British rapper drops genius tales of slacker high jinks over futurist beats.

20. Le Tigre
New York City-based feminist dance-punk trio speak ass-shaking truth to power.

19. Jay-Z
He's so en fuego these days that the cameo rhymes he writes in his sleep are pure genius.

18. No Doubt
Our favorite Super Bowl halftime rockers ever.

17. Beck
The manchild folk fusionist has become a grown-ass man, getting weepy one minute, pop-locking the next.

16. Bright Eyes
Catholic prep-schooler, "new Dylan," antiwar radical, folk-rock messiah, and boy du jour--Conor Oberst feels our pain more tunefully than we do.

15. Queens of the Stone Age
Desert-nomad future-gazers make hard rock fun again.

14. The Hives
Sweden's coolest, campiest spectacle and the greatest rock'n'roll swindle Max Martin ever pulled off (wink).

13. The Roots
Hip-hop's greatest group and biggest Bad Brains fans are still coming to break us off, and, really, we're fine with that.

12. Wilco
Anti-major-label poster boys make catchy, warped, major-label alt rock for the whole family. Upcoming: New EP, More Like the Moon, due this summer.

11. Coldplay
Britpop's reigning falsetto-rockers are the only band ever to cover both Nelly and Sigur Rós in a single tour.

10. The Neptunes (a.k.a. N.E.R.D)
Pretty soon Joe Lieberman will be calling up these hip-hop supa-producers for a remix.

09. Dashboard Confessional
Campfire sing-along alt rock as group therapy facilitated by a hot guidance counselor. Upcoming: New album, A Mark, a Mission, a Brand, a Scar, due this spring.

08. Missy Elliott
The world's greatest backward-flowing, freaky-beat-riding MC.

07. Weezer
The Kiss-loving emo standard-bearers are still wondering why everyone loves them so much.

06. Linkin Park
Rap-metal nice guys get cozy with new-school hip-hoppers while still keeping their metal edge razor-sharp. Upcoming: New album, Meteora, out this month.

05. OutKast
The Dirty South's valedictorians are hip-hop's next-level mad scientists--and they sell mad records, too. Upcoming: A long-brewing double CD--one disc Andre 3000, one disc Big Boi.

04. The Strokes
The Rolling Stones of boho rock rewrite the rules for skinny-tie accessorizing (see also 31).

03. The White Stripes
The Donny and Marie Osmond of punk blues are quickly becoming America's favorite rock'n'roll fantasy. Upcoming: New album (finally), Elephant, due April 1.

02. Radiohead
Laptop-loving Thom Yorke & Co. still kick smart arena rock worth flicking your Bic for. Upcoming: Bodysong, a film scored by guitarist Jonny Greenwood, and the band's "dark-pop" sixth album.

01. Eminem
Hip-hop's hottest MC is also America's favorite soccer dad--he can shock the bourgeoisie and rock the boulevard.
Radiohead got screwed!
Old 03-07-03, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If I had a nickel for every stupid list a music magazine put out......I'd have a ****load of nickels. Eminem the most important musician out there today? Avril Lavign even near this list? The Strokes at number 4? Whatever.
Old 03-07-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-07-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts
Anybody else sick of the music press kissing Eminem's ass?
Old 03-07-03, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
*raises hand*
Old 03-07-03, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
If I had a nickel for every stupid list a music magazine put out......I'd have a ****load of nickels. Eminem the most important musician out there today? Avril Lavign even near this list? The Strokes at number 4? Whatever.
Word.
Old 03-07-03, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think that there is anyone else who has been as commercially and critically relevant as Eminem over the last couple of years.
Old 03-07-03, 06:32 AM
Banned

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
*raises hand*
*me too*
Old 03-07-03, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Old 03-07-03, 07:58 AM

How about : "Top 40 celebrities listing the top 40 hobbits listing the top 40 magazines listing the top 40 artists making music right now". WHO CARES, THINK FOR YOURSELF!

end-of rant..
Old 03-07-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Where the hell are Pearl Jam, Radiohead, and U2? These "lists" suck.
Old 03-07-03, 09:54 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Pillowhead
Radiohead was number 2 on the list. Pearl Jam and U2 are now in the "classic rock" category, right next to the Rolling Stones and Aerosmith, as in, not particularly relevant any more.

I'm not an Eminem fan by any stretch of the imagination, but that doesn't keep me from recognizing he's probably the "the guy" right now.
Old 03-07-03, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by Pillowhead
I haven't read the Spin article (and haven't read Spin itself for years), but the title says "Most Important" -- not best, not most popular, but important. Perusing the list, it appears they listed bands or artists likely to impact both popular culture and other artists over the next few years. By that criteria, I think U2 could have easily replaced some of the groups on the list (Audioslave, anyone?); Pearl Jam might be a more difficult argument. I by no means am an Eminem fan (I don't think I've ever heard a single entire song of his), but I can't think of any artist that has had more impact on culture at large over the past couple years. Whether that was the criteria Spin used, who knows.

I'm more amused by the anger that these lists always seem to generate. They're lists of opinions, that's all. We can always disagree with these lists, but it seems overheated to argue with the very existence of these lists.

To paraphrase a more politically-minded person, I may disagree with the list, but I will fight for your right to publish a list.
Old 03-07-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not for nothing but I'm tired of these lists.

What's next? The top 100 list of top 100 lists?
Old 03-07-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think Spin is even in the Top 40 music magazines.
Old 03-07-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've subscribed to Spin for a year or so now, and I find myself laughing more and more. I mean, not that I don't agree with some of the bands on that list, and some of the things they say, but to me it seems they intentionally go out of their way to print the most ridiculous, most far fetched "lists" just to piss people off hehe.

I guess I don't really mind though since it's not like those lists will ever have any bearing on what I listen to or purchase, but I just think it's funny.

Rolling stone on the other hand is just as bad, but in the opposite. They do whatever they can to cater to the most popular these days.
Old 03-07-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Flashback
I don't think Spin is even in the Top 40 music magazines.
Are there even 40 different music magazines (not inluding those artist-specific "fanzines") in the U.S. with national circulations?
Old 03-07-03, 02:25 PM
Suspended

How the hell can someone like Avril Lavigne be on there but a powerfull band like Tool not even be on the list is beyond me.
Old 03-07-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by grunter
Are there even 40 different music magazines (not inluding those artist-specific "fanzines") in the U.S. with national circulations?
Could be close to it. There are about a dozen music/instrument magazines (Guitar World for example) there are few Hip Hop (e.g. Vibe) , a few mainstream (e.g. Blender) , at least half dozen imports (e.g. NME) etc. etc.. Keep in mind that '40' was a number I threw out. I also think there are some great 'zines. I used to see/read a lot of them years ago at Newburry Comics.

Bottom line is I never liked Spin. Just could never get in to it at all. Maybe it's just me.
Old 03-07-03, 09:20 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Originally posted by MJKTool
How the hell can someone like Avril Lavigne be on there but a powerfull band like Tool not even be on the list is beyond me.
I agree.

It should be clear to anyone who's heard Lateralus that Tool have sort of taken it upon themselves to Reinvent Rock, though reasonable people might disagree as to the extent of their success. Unless Audioslave is doing something far more ambitious on the album as a whole than on that first single, I'm puzzled at their inclusion.

[Must......resist.........urge.....to.......attack.......Eminem!]

Edit: Linkin Park at number 6?! "...still keeping their metal edge razor-sharp"?! Again, I've only heard I think 3 of their songs ("One Step Closer," "Crawling," "In the End"), but if these are any kind of indication at all of what the entire album is all about, then.......hoo boy. I'd say they're "still keeping their easy-listening 'edge' sugary-sweet."

Last edited by inVectiVe; 03-08-03 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-08-03, 08:23 AM

It's funny when people say they are sick of these lists but they are always reading them and posting in these kinds of threads.
Old 03-08-03, 10:01 AM

Another stupid list that doesn't make any sense..
Old 03-08-03, 10:07 AM

See that's the thing with the music industry, they recognize all these artists that are probably not even gonna be making relevant music 5 years from now and they totally disregard artists like Tool, Radiohead, Audioslave, Tori Amos and others, who are actually trying to make meaningful music and push the envelope. It's so frustrating to see this, but then again I couldn't care less about what they think. It's irrelevant to me.
Old 03-08-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

muahahahaha, if those artist are "important" then I'd rather be unimportant.
Old 03-08-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm happy Outkast is way up there Too much garbage on that list.