Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Tracklisting for 'American Life' - Madonna

Old 03-06-03, 07:32 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Tracklisting for 'American Life' - Madonna

MADONNA has revealed the tracklisting for her new album 'AMERICAN LIFE'.
The record, the follow up to 2000's 'Music', is released on April 21 in the UK and a day later in the US. It contains 11 tracks, including the star's 2002 James Bond theme 'Die Another Day'. The LP's release will be preceded by the release of the title track as a single.

The tracklisting is as follows:

'American Life'
'Hollywood'
'I'm So Stupid'
'Love Profusion'
'Nobody Knows Me'
'Nothing Fails'
'Intervention'
'The Process'
'Mother And Father'
'Die Another Day'
'Easy Ride'
Old 03-06-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
*Sigh*

So we have one less song thanks to the inclusion of the crappy "Die Another Day"...
Old 03-06-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad to see 'Die Another Day' make it on the CD, used to hate it but it grew on me.
Old 03-06-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who's producing this album? I really like it when she teams up with William Orbit (I love Ray of Light). Can't say I'm really a fan of her collaborations with Mirwais, though.
Old 03-06-03, 11:35 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

BBC's Radio 1 were lucky enough to get a preview of the 'American Life' album yesterday and here's what they said about it. (Ok, hands up those excited about the '80s-style dance tune!)

The style is similar to 'Music', and with both Mirwais and Jacques Le Cont (LRD) having worked on it, you can expect a good mix of electronic, guitar and pop.

Some of the tracks are quite humorous - she raps on the single, also called 'American Life', and criticises herself for liking material things.

There's also an 80s disco-style tune, a down tempo song called 'Nobody Knows' (sung with The London Community Gospel Choir), as well as other tracks called 'Hollywood' and 'Love Profusion'.

The single's out on 14 April and also has remixes by Missy Elliot and Layo & Bushwacka. The album's released on 21 April.

A bit of confusion here as rumour has it that the gospel song (and third single) will be 'Nothing Fails'.

There is a loop playing on Madonna.com from the 1st single and title track
Old 03-07-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like what I've heard of the first single.
Old 03-08-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yay, and I am glad they included Die Another Day.
Old 04-17-03, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BEST BUY will have it for $9.99...
Old 04-17-03, 11:26 AM

will the UK CD single include the video for "American Life"?
Old 04-17-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm also glad they included "Die Another Day" and the fact that it's similar to "Music" which is my favorite of hers.
Old 04-24-03, 08:31 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

So what's the verdict?
Old 04-25-03, 03:34 AM
Banned

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
So what's the verdict?
I'd say it's a solid album, probably better than "Music" in terms of catchy songs. But the lyrics just seem a little too...simplistic. The beats and hooks are there, but it's nowhere near as intriguing as "Ray of Light" or even "Bedtime Stories." I'd give it a 3 out of 5.
Old 04-26-03, 07:24 AM

I think it's her best since "Like A Prayer." I'm VERY impressed and actually quite suprised (I was simply expecting "Music II" which it thankfully is not). It towers over "Music," "Bedtime Stories," and "Erotica," and IMO also edges out "Ray Of Light."

If you dislike the first single "American Life," don't fret. The rest is better.

- Matt

Last edited by MatthewCho; 04-26-03 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-26-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
My mini-review from THIS thread:
I'm not "rabid", but I am a fan and I was very disappointed. But I blame Mirwais. Rather than moving upward [Which is what we're accustomed to with a new Madonna album], this album is a more of a lateral move. Most, if not all of these tracks sound like "Music" throwaways.

Disappointing.

That said, i'm still buying it later today.
Old 04-27-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MatthewCho
I think it's her best since "Like A Prayer." I'm VERY impressed and actually quite suprised (I was simply expecting "Music II" which it thankfully is not). It towers over "Music," "Bedtime Stories," and "Erotica," and IMO also edges out "Ray Of Light."

If you dislike the first single "American Life," don't fret. The rest is better.

- Matt
I only like the chorus of AI but that lasts for only a few seconds of the song.
Old 04-29-03, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
My mini-review from THIS thread:
Only a handful of the songs have strong Mirwais production: "Die Another Day," "American Life," and "Nobody Knows Me."

There's a fantastic song called "Nothing Fails" with a full gospel choir. This will be a big hit.

- Matt
Old 04-29-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Only a handful of the songs have strong Mirwais production: "Die Another Day," "American Life," and "Nobody Knows Me."
So I guess she was trying to sound like him on the other tracks..?

And "Nothing Fails" wasn't bad..but nothing to write home about..hell, Music had things that were new and different [and even things that weren't new and different at least sounded new and different..]

eh..i'll spin this once in a while..but here's hoping the next one is better..
Old 04-29-03, 06:48 PM

So I guess she was trying to sound like him on the other tracks..?
Huh? Not following. Three tracks sounded like typical Mirwais, whereas the rest he was more restrained with the electronic novelties.

And "Nothing Fails" wasn't bad..but nothing to write home about..hell, Music had things that were new and different [and even things that weren't new and different at least sounded new and different..]
Disagree here. IMO American Life is much better than Music.

Favorite Madonna albums: Like A Prayer, Ray Of Light, American Life, True Blue, Madonna

Least favorite Madonna albums: Like A Virgin, Music, Erotica, Bedtime Stories.

It's all about personal taste. I love this album, and have already spun it more times than Music to date. The album is getting mostly positive reviews (yes, there are mixed and negative ones as well). Spin, USA Today, NY Post, LA Times, etc. etc. all were very favorable.

If you're unsure, check out on-line samples. They're everywhere (MTV, etc.).

- Matt

Last edited by MatthewCho; 04-29-03 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-29-03, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yes, the electronic novelties were restrained, but they were still there..which, IMO, caused the songs to sound similar to me..

As for favorite M albums..Like A Prayer hands down, Madonna, Erotica, Ray Of Light, Like A Virgin/I'm Breathless

Discs that don't get much airplay..American Life, Evita.

I agree about personal taste...don't care much what the critics say [either way..].
Old 04-30-03, 12:11 PM

Yes, the electronic novelties were restrained, but they were still there..which, IMO, caused the songs to sound similar to me..
On another note, it has always interested me how the public generally holds Madonna to a different set of musical standards than most other artists.

If she in any way creates an album the even sounds remotely like a previous effort, the critics/public normally say that she is getting stale.

Other artists? The same thing every time, with little reference to them needing to move forward musically. This is especially noticeable in rock, rap, and R&B. Does Eminem really sound refreshing with each new single? The critics act like each new song is a revolution.

For example, critics are applauding the new White Stripes album (I have and like it as well), but why don't they receive similar negative remarks? I mean, doesn't this simply sound like a continuation of their last album? They're even using the same color scheme.

- Matt
Old 04-30-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I guess she's a victim of her own career..With almost each and every album, she's reinvented herself..

While each of her albums are pop, they're [for the most part] different from the last..

So it's her own fault that the public has come to expect her to be different with each project/media blitz..

Again, critics thought matter not to me [unless it's a quality issue like pan & scan etc..]..you brought up Eminem and that's a great example. The Eminem show is a poorly done rehashing of tMM LP, yet the critics hailed it as the second coming..I don't get it, so I don't pay attention..
Old 04-30-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From www.billboard.com, Madonna's 'Life' Easily Debuts At No. 1
Following a No. 1 debut in the U.K., Madonna's "American Life" opens on top of The Billboard 200. The Maverick/Warner Bros. album sold 241,000 copies in the U.S. in its first week, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and is the only set on the big chart to have sold more than 200,000 copies.

Nonetheless, "American Life" fell short of the 420,000 copies sold by Madonna's 2000 effort, "Music," in its first week. Incidentally, that set was the artist's strongest debut week since SoundScan was initiated in 1991.

"American Life" has an easy lead over 50 Cent's "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" (Shady/Interscope), which rebounds 5-2 on the chart this week despite a 31% dip in sales to 142,000 copies. Last week, 50 Cent's CD/DVD hybrid "The New Breed" entered at No. 2, but it falls to No. 10 in its sophomore week on a 69% slide to sales of 76,000 copies. "Get Rich" and "The New Breed" are No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart.

In a slow week for releases, only two albums land inside the top-20 of The Billboard 200, while the other 18 each saw a drop in sales. Last week's No. 1, Kelly Clarkson's RCA debut "Thankful," slips to No. 3 in its second week. Sales of the set were down 55% to 134,000 copies.

Linkin Park's "Meteora" (Warner Bros.) is up 6-4, even though it endured a 43% drop in sales to 111,000 copies. "The Very Best of Cher" (Geffen/MCA/Warner Bros.) earns a 10-5 boost on a relatively tame 12% sales decline to 106,000 copies.

Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me" (Blue Note/Capitol) sold 99,000 copies, a 31% drop from the previous week. Despite the loss, the album moves up 8-6 on The Billboard 200. Evanescence's Wind-Up debut "Fallen" returns to the top-10 with a 12-7 boost, a feat it manages in spite of a 19% decrease in sales to 89,000 units.

Fleetwood Mac's "Say You Will" (Warner Bros.) suffered a 60% sales loss to 87,000 copies in its second week, sending the album on a 3-8 slide. The 12th edition in the "NOW! That's What I Call Music" compilation series (Universal/EMI/Zomba/Sony) drops 7-9 on a 60% sales slip to 77,000 copies.

A weeklong stint on "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" helped raise the profile of the White Stripes even further. The critical darlings' latest V2 album, "Elephant," rebounds 21-15 in its fourth week, withstanding a small 12% dip to sales of 57,000 copies.

Also rebounding this week is the Dixie Chicks' "Home" (Monument/Columbia), which climbs 33-23 despite a tiny 10% drop in sales to 39,000 copies. The country trio embarked on a publicity campaign last week to regain favor with fans who were upset after negative comments about U.S. President George Bush made by singer Natalie Maines in London. In addition to sitting down for an interview with ABC's Diane Sawyer, the Chicks posed nude for the cover of "Entertainment Weekly."

Notable newcomers on The Billboard 200 this week include Disney's soundtrack to "The Lizzie McGuire Movie," which sold 51,000 copies to enter at No. 18, Mobb Deep's "Free Agents: Murda Mix Tape" (Landspeed/Koch), which moved 46,000 copies to land at No. 21, and "The Blessed Hellride" (Spitfire) from Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society, which pierces the chart at No. 50 on sales of 19,000 copies.

-- Todd Martens, L.A.
Old 04-30-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On another note, it has always interested me how the public
For example, critics are applauding the new White Stripes album (I have and like it as well), but why don't they receive similar negative remarks? I mean, doesn't this simply sound like a continuation of their last album? They're even using the same color scheme.

What album have you been listening to? Elephant sounds nothing like their previous work. The album is simply fantastic. Also, who cares if theyre using the same color scheme? Theyve been using Red and White since their debut album! I dont hear anyone bitching about KISS using the makeup every decade.
Old 04-30-03, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by Lara Means
What album have you been listening to? Elephant sounds nothing like their previous work.
Huh? The band itself has said that it's more or less a continuation of their last album.

- Matt

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.