Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Favorite Producer?

Old 03-05-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Favorite Producer?

Who's your favorite producer?

Mine would have to be DJ Quik.
Old 03-05-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In hip-hop it's a tie between Dr. Dre, Timbaland and the Neptunes, although Timbaland gets the edge.

In rock the obvious answer is Steve Albini, who can indeed be great, but I'd like to tip my hat toward J. Robbins, who comes up with great sounds while working with some great bands. Chad Clarke (ex-Smart Went Crazy) is wonderful too.
Old 03-05-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dre gets my vote
Old 03-05-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dre for me too, In Da CLub is so simple buy f'n rules.
Old 03-05-03, 06:17 PM

Butch Vig.
Old 03-05-03, 06:18 PM
Banned

Dr. Dre.
Old 03-05-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some of my favorites:

Steve Albini
Martin Hannett
Steve Lillywhite
Flood
Richard James
Old 03-05-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DJ Premier

Last edited by explosivej; 03-05-03 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-05-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RZA
Old 03-05-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trent Reznor and El-P.
Old 03-05-03, 09:54 PM

George Martin, without question #1
Old 03-05-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Really Old school:

Phil Spector
Brian Wilson
Lee Hazlewood
George Martin
Gary Usher
Curt Boettcher
Old 03-06-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gotta be Prince Paul.

Next would be Automator, DJ Premier, Mighty Mi, the Neptunes, and maybe the Dust Brothers.

And Rick Rubin's had his fingers in so many different genres, I have to give him respect.
Old 03-06-03, 09:33 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
End all be all, Primo.
Old 03-06-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like what Eno has done... and Daniel Lanois (but sometimes it's heavy-handed).
Old 03-06-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There are a few producers who I think can contribute significantly to an artist's music. However, there are also many who think they know "what the music should sound like" based on current musical trends and just bastardize the original material in hopes of selling more records. Sometimes the best results are had when the artists themselves produce their own material. Who else can better visualize what the music is intended to sound like?
Old 03-06-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Neptunes
Dr. Dre.
Brendan O'Brien
Butch Vig
Steve Albini
Flood

MATT
Old 03-06-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Butch Vig (damn good drummer too)
Old 03-06-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm tipping my hat to Vig and Albini. They make albums that just explode.

Who produced Tortoise albums? McEntire? I still find their albums (esp. TNT) to have some the best friggin' producing EVER.
Old 03-06-03, 09:32 PM

Martin Hannett
John Leckie
Lee "Scratch" Perry

BTW, I hate Steve Albini. Everything he does sounds like a cheap transistor radio with the treble cranked up all the way. And I use the term "hate" advisedly, not only do I not like him as a producer, he is, in my personal experience, a vile, loathsome human being.
Old 03-06-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by wendersfan
Martin Hannett
John Leckie
Lee "Scratch" Perry

BTW, I hate Steve Albini. Everything he does sounds like a cheap transistor radio with the treble cranked up all the way. And I use the term "hate" advisedly, not only do I not like him as a producer, he is, in my personal experience, a vile, loathsome human being.
Mmm, since he is one of my favorites, I disagree that his records sound like a "cheap transistor radio with the treble cranked up," but I'm just going to leave it because, hey!, everybody has their own opinion.

Unfortunately, I don't know too much about the man aside from the records he has produced and his work in Big Black and Shellac. What is vile and loathsome about him? (I seriously want to know...not trying to challenge you.)
Old 03-07-03, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by fallow
Mmm, since he is one of my favorites, I disagree that his records sound like a "cheap transistor radio with the treble cranked up," but I'm just going to leave it because, hey!, everybody has their own opinion.

Unfortunately, I don't know too much about the man aside from the records he has produced and his work in Big Black and Shellac. What is vile and loathsome about him? (I seriously want to know...not trying to challenge you.)
Rude, obnoxious, conceited, egotistical, selfish, that sort of thing. AFAIK he doesn't torture small animals or anything like that.

To clarify, I met him once, and also knew a girl that went to school with him. This was all 15-20 years ago, so it's likely he's changed as a person. I know I have. Still don't like his producing work, but as you quite eloquently put it, that's my opinion.
Old 03-07-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wendersfan, have you seen the movie "24-Hour Party People"? I had no clue that Martin Hannett was as he's portrayed in the movie. He was a nutcase, but was certainly involved with some amazing music.

I'm not crazy about Albini either. I'm not sure why less bass, more treble is a plus. He's been at the helm of some great stuff like Big Black, but I prefer a bit more beef when it's available. I guess I'm a "Nevermind" fan over "In Utero".
Old 03-07-03, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by atlantamoi
Wendersfan, have you seen the movie "24-Hour Party People"? I had no clue that Martin Hannett was as he's portrayed in the movie. He was a nutcase, but was certainly involved with some amazing music.
Seen it? I have the soundtrack running in a continuous loop in my head! Seriously, I would have to say that bands from Manchester represent about 1/3 of all the music I've listened to in the last 20 years. Love the scene where they leave Steven Morris (the Joy Division drummer) stranded up on the roof while they listen to the demo of "She's Lost Control".

I'm not crazy about Albini either. I'm not sure why less bass, more treble is a plus. He's been at the helm of some great stuff like Big Black, but I prefer a bit more beef when it's available. I guess I'm a "Nevermind" fan over "In Utero".
Ironically, Nirvana hated the way "Nevermind" (too commercial) and hired Albini because of that. I have no problem with "underproduced" music, e.g., the Strokes album, but Albini's work has always sounded shrill and unpleasant, not rough and unpolished.
Old 03-07-03, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by wendersfan
Seen it? I have the soundtrack running in a continuous loop in my head! Seriously, I would have to say that bands from Manchester represent about 1/3 of all the music I've listened to in the last 20 years.
Did you like the Inspiral Carpets? They were a fave of mine.

Netflix has the 24 flick in the mail so I will see it soon.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.