DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Today's CDs (3/3) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/275511-todays-cds-3-3-a.html)

SAShepherd 03-03-03 11:03 AM

Today's CDs (3/3)

(Decided to display the date in European format. ;) )

Jayhawks - Scrapple EP
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
Barenaked Ladies - Greatest Hits
Connells - Still Life
Jason Falkner - Can You Still Feel?
R.E.M. - Lifes Rich Pageant [Import]

Question of the Day -- Favorite place to see a show? For me, it's First Ave. in Minneapolis. Great sight lines, great list of touring artists, and a whole bunch of shows starting before 8 PM. (Sorry, once you enter the normal 9-to-5 world and have a family, those times are wonderful.) Pity I now live nowhere near Minneapolis.

Gdrlv 03-03-03 12:11 PM

It's a jamband day for me...

Phish - Live Phish Downloads Las Vegas 2/15/03
Phish - Live Phish Downloads Las Vegas 2/16/03
String Cheese Incident - On the Road Las Vegas 11/1/02
String Cheese Incident - On the Road Las Vegas 11/2/02

I went to all four of these shows...nice to have pristine copies of 'em live.

Adam Tyner 03-03-03 12:44 PM

Jellyfish - Bellybutton

I don't really have a favorite venue, but I prefer shows in smaller venues, like the New Brookland Tavern in Columbia or the Music Farm in Charleston.

woofman 03-03-03 01:21 PM

Iron Maiden: Powerslave
Karma to Burn: Wild, Wonderful, Purgatory

QOD: Newport Music Hall (holds up to 1800) It's the longest continually running concert hall in America. A lot of HUGE artists have played there before: U2, Springstein, The Police, Grateful Dead, Queen, Metallica, Ozzy, Tool, NIN, etc....

http://www.newportmusichall.com/sect...port/about.asp

fallow 03-03-03 02:06 PM

I've been listening to mp3s by The Eels, The Walkmen, and Magnetic Fields while I study. I'm about to go to the gym, so I think I'll take the Minor Threat - "Complete Discography" tape that I stole from my sister's ex-boyfriend. :p

qotd: There was a place called Cogan's in Norfolk that was not ideal, but it was pretty cozy. The stage was so small that bands usually played on the floor. I like an intimate live setting, and I knew a lot of the kids that went to the shows. Unfortunately, it has been converted into a pizzeria.

Starlover 03-03-03 03:59 PM

Cat Power- You are Free
Cocteau Twins- Head Over Heels
The Essential Leonard Cohen
Interpol Live
His Name Is Alive- Stars on E.S.P.
Simple Minds- Empires and Dance
Echo and the Bunnymen- Ocean Rain

QOTD: Probably the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill, NC. An okay club, but I've seen so many memorable shows there.

SAShepherd 03-03-03 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Starlover
QOTD: Probably the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill, NC. An okay club, but I've seen so many memorable shows there.
I've never been to their new location -- only when they were still actually in Chapel Hill (which, again, shows my age). The Cradle would've received an honorable mention in my list. I agree -- not a great club per se, but a wonderful set of bands.

evenflow 03-03-03 05:17 PM

Norah Jones-Come Away with Me
Dr. Dre- The Chronic
Blur- Modern Life is Rubbish
Wilco-Summerteeth
Queens of the Stone Age-Songs for the Deaf
Sigur Ros- ( )

Alyoshka 03-04-03 02:39 PM

Switchfoot - Beautiful Letdown
Havalina Rail Co - Russian Lullabies
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights

anglagard 03-04-03 02:54 PM

Pogues - Essential
Xang - Destiny of a Dream
Devo - Greatest Misses
Michael Penn - Resigned
Gary Moore - Run for Cover
Gerard - The Pendulum
Tuff Darts - Tuff Darts
Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
Alphonse Mouzon - Mind Transplant
Beethoven - 9th Symphony

Q of Day: Mountain Stage, Charleston, WV. Wonderful, intimate setting. Great acoustics. Only seats about 300, and broadcasts live on NPR radio every weekend. There I've seen Jayhawks, R.E.M., Richard Thompson, Billy Bragg, Warren Zevon, Uncle Tupelo, Joe Ely, Wilco, Son Volt, 10,000 Maniacs (one of Natalie's last shows), They Might Be Giants, Robyn Hitchcock (4 times), American Music Club, House of Freaks, T-Bone Burnette, Junior Brown, John Wesley Harding, Bruce Hornsby, Grant Lee Buffalo, Bob Gibson, Dixie Dregs, Marshall Crenshaw, Bruce Cockburn, Cracker, Buckwheat Zydeco, Victoria Williams, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Trip Shakespeare, Todd Snider, Jules Shear, Oysterband, Syd Straw, Freedy Johnston, Gordon Lightfoot, Adrian Legg, Los Lobos, Michael Penn, Roger McGuinn, Ian Matthews, and many others.