Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Metallica Finally Announce New Bassist!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-24-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so psyched by this announcement, a great player and an excellent addition!

Metallica Announces New Bassist

Who the hell is Robert Trujillo, and why does he get a press release?

Well, for starters, he happens to be the new bass player in Metallica.

That’s right. The search is over. All the rumors and speculation can finally be put to bed. Robert Trujillo is the long-awaited fourth member of Metallica.

Earlier today, on the official Metallica fan club site, the band stated, “We've taken a long time to find the right bass player for us. Obviously being a good player is important (!!), but it was also very important that whomever we found would fit in as a family member, a brother with a huge vibe. We wanted a fourth band member, not just a new bass player.

“We’ve all known, and have been huge fans of Rob since the early '90s when he was a part of the legendary hardcore/metal band Suicidal Tendencies. We got to know him when we played together with 'Suicidal' in Europe in ‘93, and again during the during the '94' "summer ****" tour, when they joined forces with us.”

Added Lars Ulrich, “we were impressed by Rob’s roaring bass style and his very cool and unique vibe onstage.”

Trujillo was also one of the masterminds behind the 90' cult band Infectious Grooves. He started Infectious together with Mike Muir, the lead singer of Suicidal. Infectious' delivered classic album titles like "The Plague That Makes Your Booty Move." He then joined the godfather of metal, Ozzy Osborne in 1996.

"I am so ****ing excited to be a full unit again", Ulrich said. "The last two years of just being the three of us have taught me so much about myself, about James and Kirk and about Metallica. And to welcome rob into Metallica in 2003 after all the growth and soul searching we've been through for the last two years, feels so ****ing awesome. Being at full strength again is at this moment indescribable"

“We're ****in' bristling with new energy, new respect, new vibes and a huge ****ing appetite for everything Metallica is. Having Rob here, and him choosing to become a part of our family, will enable us to get to yet another level.”

According to Kirk Hammett, “With all the **** that’s gone down the last two years, we took a little more time than we originally thought to get to this decision. Once we finally got it going in the studio, we didn’t want to stop what we were doing. So we decided to wait until we were finishing the new album before we began to search aggressively.”

That search ended shortly after they played with Robert.

James Hetfield added, “When Rob came to San Francisco the first time and jammed with us, we all felt this incredible magic between the four of us. It was just something that we could not describe. We all just knew it. Bob Rock told us right after the jam, that it sounded like a 747 jet taking off.”

“I am very stoked, excited and look forward to my new journey with my Metallica brothers. STEP UP!”, revealed a very pumped-up Rob Trujillo. “I must say that Ozzy, Sharon, Zakk, Mike Bordin, all the team and family members mean the world to me. Love and respect. My family…100 percent.”

Metallica’s next album, “St. Anger”, drops on June 10th, and the band will embark on a European festival tour that same month. Upon returning, their Summer Sanitarium Tour will begin on July 4th in Detroit, so Robert is expected to have his **** together f-a-s-t. He is currently getting up to speed learning over 100 songs and updating his collection of black clothing.

Lars concluded, “We just came back from the airport. We went there as three, and we came back as a band”

James, Lars, Kirk & Robert. Get used to it.

Metallica’s Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003

July 4 Detroit, MI
July 5 Toronto, ON
July 6 Foxboro, MA
July 11 Atlanta
July 12 Philadelphia
July 13 Orlando, FL
July 18 Washington DC
July 19 Columbus, OH
July 20 Montreal, QUE
July 25 St. Louis, MO
July 27 Minneapolis, MN
August 1 Denver, CO
August 2 Houston
August 3 Irving, TX
August 7 Seattle
August 9 Los Angeles

More dates will be announced in the near future....
Old 02-25-03, 12:35 AM
Suspended

Wow James looks like such a nerd in those pics!
I'm very curious to see how Metallica will sound this time around.
Old 02-25-03, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
damn I was about to post this... u beat me...anyway SWEET, I was hopeing that it would be DAVID ELLEFSON [MEGADETH], oh well... anyway "ST. ANGER" is gonna be KICK ASS [it's gonna be a GREAT two days early birthday present]... we'll see how the Lyrics turn out since LARS and KIRK also share WRITING credit[and may also sing on the album] on some of the songs...

I WAS REALLY WISHING THAT JASON WOULD COME BACK!
Old 02-25-03, 06:17 AM

Is it just me or does Metallica look REALLY old now???
Old 02-25-03, 06:18 AM

Their new bass player looks like a wrestler too lol!
Old 02-25-03, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Awesome news! And yes Metallica looks really old... well because they are really old
Old 02-25-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is James using Maxim hair color now?
Old 02-25-03, 10:39 AM

I was hoping Cliff would rise from the grave & remind these guys how to play some REAL METAL !
Old 02-25-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jk4w
I was hoping Cliff would rise from the grave & remind these guys how to play some REAL METAL !
Thank you!

I've been a big fan of Robert Trujillo for a long time (S.T. & Infectious), he's a great bass player and did a good job with Ozzy so it will be interesting to see how this all goes down.
Old 02-25-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

he also played bass on the Jerry Cantrell album Degaradation Trip 1/2. His pic is in the liner.

Yup, they are old, but who cares!
Old 02-25-03, 11:38 AM

So, does Lars have an expression that doesn't look like he just sucked on a lemon?

So, if they like this new bassist, does that mean they aren't going to be complete jerks to him for the first few years, and turn down the volume on his bass parts on the first album, like they did to Jason?
Old 02-25-03, 12:04 PM

ROFL
Old 02-25-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, this is a weird fit. Could be a complete mesh of styles... Rob was always a pretty funky bassist.

Cool guy though. He worked out at my gym up in Culver City a few years back.
Old 02-25-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
So, does Lars have an expression that doesn't look like he just sucked on a lemon?
And on a similar note - does Lars have any other items in his wardrobe besides that off-white "housecoat" thing he schlumps around in after gigs?
Old 02-25-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by TheMadMonk

So, if they like this new bassist, does that mean they aren't going to be complete jerks to him for the first few years, and turn down the volume on his bass parts on the first album, like they did to Jason?
a whole lot has changed in the metallicamp my friend. lots of therapy, and a new outlook on things in general.

jason could not have joined the band at a worse time, he became the scapegoat, and the band never dealt with the death of Cliff Burton the right way. And thus jason's grave was already written.

and yes, diet coke w/lemon is Lars' favorite drink
Old 02-25-03, 01:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hopefully, Trujillo will bring a little of the Infectious Grooves' heavy funk to Metallica. They were always one of my favorite heavy bands.
Old 02-25-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Trujillo is actually an excellent choice. Gotta say I'm impressed.
Old 02-27-03, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
And to think I use to take pictures for these guys before they hit it big. Use to shoot their local concerts for them at the "Stone" in S.F.

... should have hung around with them and rode those coat tails around the world.

-k
###
Old 02-27-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

James looks like an emo version of the singer from Offspring.
Old 02-27-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rob also was in Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society.........for some reason nobody has mentioned that in press releases........bastards.
Old 02-27-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

in an interesting twist

ozzy confirmed today that Jason Newstead would be the bass player for his band during ozzfest, he will pull double duty with Voivod

almost a trade!
Old 03-04-03, 02:27 AM

Looks like a NHL/NFL beer-guzzling junkie, the Metallibabes must be going wild!!! I say we're in for an old-aged Anthrax... They could have taken Les and have been progressive.
Old 03-04-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't been keeping up with the band for a while, so excuse me if I ask what happened to the old bass player? Why get rid of him?
Old 03-05-03, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Gdrlv
Hopefully, Trujillo will bring a little of the Infectious Grooves' heavy funk to Metallica.
Your kidding.....Right ?
Its bad enough that they strayed from plaiyng REAL METAL to playing radio cheese.But PLEEEEEESE no funk !
Although when Trujillo is mentioned i must admit i think funk because of S.T. & Infectious Grooves but when he played with Ozzy he really remained tastefull & stuck to playing Traditional style Rock/Metal bass lines.Hopefully he will do the same in Metallica.
Someone else mentioned Jason will play with Ozzy.I think thats cool.Id assume one of the reasons Jason left Metallica was because of the direction that they were heading.
If you noticed Jason would always wear Black Metal or Death Metal shirts which means he must be a fan of the Heavier metal stuff or like the tracks the REAL Metallica would play back in the day opposed to radio friendly stuff that they play now.