DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The unpopular music opinion thread! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/273910-unpopular-music-opinion-thread.html)

Rypro 525 02-24-03 05:16 PM

The unpopular music opinion thread!

Following the very popular threads in movie talk and otter, I thought I would start one here.
*Nu metal is good metal
*Radio and clearchannel are not evil
*Norah Jones is overrated and did not deserve all of those grammys
*50 cent and the song "In da Club" copied a lyric from the J&SB movie outtakes (the part where Affleck goes "go holden, its your birthday", in their song its, "go shortyk, its your birthday"
Avril Lavgne can sing and looks attractive (what was with the tux last night?)

go at it.

KnightLerxst 02-24-03 05:18 PM

The Final Cut by Pink Floyd is a good album.

Gdrlv 02-24-03 05:34 PM

Re: The unpopular music opinion thread!

Originally posted by Rypro 525
*50 cent and the song "In da Club" copied a lyric from the J&SB movie outtakes (the part where Affleck goes "go holden, its your birthday", in their song its, "go shortyk, its your birthday"

Well, this is just flat out wrong. The line "Go (insert name here), it's your birthday" was not created by Kevin Smith, Ben Affleck or anyone else in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. That expression has been around for years. (Also, that line originally first reared its head in a Smith movie in Chasing Amy.)

Also, I agree Knight...the Final Cut is a good album. I never understood the hate directed at it.

Yancey 02-24-03 05:34 PM

umm... that phrase has been around much longer than kevin smith.

Rypro 525 02-24-03 05:38 PM

Sorry, I'm an idiot, but I still hate that song.

sherm42 02-24-03 05:52 PM

Nirvana was not a great band and Kurt Cobain was not a genius. They were in the right place at the right time because there were certainly other grunge bands just behind them that would have taken their place.

Part of the joke of Nirvana when they first hit was that you couldn't understand a frickin word they sang. Kurt kills himself and suddenly her is this deep introspective figure. If I see that stupid picture of him looking at the camera like he just cried for two hour I am going to puke.

I'll take Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream over Nevermind any day.

Josh-da-man 02-24-03 06:04 PM

Rap music sucks.
Current R&B sucks.
Country music sucks.

atlantamoi 02-24-03 06:22 PM

I also think The Final Cut is not bad (and I'm not a huge Floyd fan)

stevevt 02-24-03 06:24 PM

Originally posted by sherm42
Nirvana was not a great band and Kurt Cobain was not a genius. They were in the right place at the right time because there were certainly other grunge bands just behind them that would have taken their place.

Part of the joke of Nirvana when they first hit was that you couldn't understand a frickin word they sang. Kurt kills himself and suddenly her is this deep introspective figure. If I see that stupid picture of him looking at the camera like he just cried for two hour I am going to puke.

I'll take Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream over Nevermind any day.

I didn't know that Billy Corgan was registered here. :)

evenflow 02-24-03 06:31 PM

I'm an idiot
:hscratch: I thought this was the unpopular opinions thread?

;)

Blur is an awesome band and their albums are all great.

costanza187 02-24-03 07:34 PM

Rap sucks!

Nirvana, while a decent band, wasn't "all that"

fallow 02-24-03 09:03 PM

Missy Elliot's latest, "Work It" is a good song.

Same with Justin Timberlake's, "Cry Me a River"

And I still think this in spite of my friends - and my own - indie snobbish tendencies. My roommate has helped expand my appreciation of hip-hop and pop music immensely.

And just for Yancey, I still think it is weird that JT collaborated with The Flaming Lips. ;)

Goat3001 02-24-03 09:32 PM

Originally posted by fallow
Missy Elliot's latest, "Work It" is a good song.

Same with Justin Timberlake's, "Cry Me a River"

Disagree with Missy

Agree with Cry Me A River

Jason 02-24-03 09:46 PM

Independent music doesn't get a lot of exposure because most of it either isn't that good, or caters to a very esoteric audience.

milo bloom 02-24-03 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Jason
Independent music doesn't get a lot of exposure because most of it either isn't that good, or caters to a very esoteric audience.

I am curious that the internet didn't collapse into a superdense ball of protoplasmic matter the instant you made that statement; it goes against the grain of 90% of the music threads ever seen on any music discussion board.

And I agree of course.

And I also like that Missy Elliot song.

And Tori Amos makes me want to put my head thru a brick wall. Or hers.

stevevt 02-24-03 09:58 PM

Originally posted by milo bloom
I am curious that the internet didn't collapse into a superdense ball of protoplasmic matter the instant you made that statement; it goes against the grain of 90% of the music threads ever seen on any music discussion board.

And I agree of course.

Most of everything is crap, so it's no shocker that most of independent music is crap. The advantage that independent music has over mainstream/major label music is that there's so much more of it.

Yes, some of it has limited appeal. This is a great thing, for the people it appeals to.

This isn't a great thread for an argument, of course, and I apologize.

palebluedot 02-24-03 10:15 PM

Originally posted by stevevt
Most of everything is crap, so it's no shocker that most of independent music is crap. The advantage that independent music has over mainstream/major label music is that there's so much more of it.

Yes, some of it has limited appeal. This is a great thing, for the people it appeals to.

This isn't a great thread for an argument, of course, and I apologize.

Ever since you turned me on to Songs Ohia I can't get enough of them...great music. Thanks!

Ralph Wiggum 02-24-03 10:40 PM

Does anyone really believe Kurt Cobain was a genius?

If so, wow. I'm a huge Nirvana fan, but they are highly overrated.

DMB bores me to tears.

The Stones don't have enough good songs to fill the second half of 40 Licks.

I don't care if performers write their own songs.

I like pop.

...except 02-24-03 10:57 PM

Skinny Puppy is the best art ever, I'm glad they re-united and will be putting out a new disc this year.

MJKTool 02-24-03 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
Does anyone really believe Kurt Cobain was a genius?

If so, wow. I'm a huge Nirvana fan, but they are highly overrated.

I dont know about genius, but I am truely thankfull that his band was able to rid this planet of that hairmetal garbage.

the aftermath 02-25-03 02:49 AM

Avril Lavgne can sing and looks attractive (what was with the tux last night?)

go at it.

rotfl

I almost thought this was a joke then I realized who was posting it.

Your entitled to your opinions but at least get your facts straight before posting.

As for me...

- Rap is <b>great</b>. If you think all rap is like Nelly then you're listening to the wrong stuff.
- Country music BLOWS. Worst music ever.
- Nu-Metal sucks horribly.

Tscott 02-25-03 03:04 AM

- Country is great. If you think all Country is like Garth Brooks then you're listening to the wrong stuff.
- Rap music BLOWS. Worst music ever.
- Nu-Metal sucks horribly.

:D
...oh, and the Spice Girls weren't too bad as far as pop acts go...

turborobb 02-25-03 04:40 AM

Nu metal is good metal
"Nu Metal" ISNT Metal at all.

stevevt 02-25-03 07:04 AM

Originally posted by palebluedot
Ever since you turned me on to Songs Ohia I can't get enough of them...great music. Thanks!
Excellent.

If you haven't already, make sure you order Magnolia Electric Company at Secretly Canadian. It comes with a bonus disc that a lot of people prefer to the album, and that I don't think you'll be able to find too many other places.

Speaking of S: O, do you have Mi Sei Apparso Come un Fantasma? Another one that's definitely worth tracking down, at least if you don't mind live albums.

And, by the way, what I quoted above definitely fits in with this thread, at least in my experience. :)

SAShepherd 02-25-03 10:50 AM

The Dixie Chicks are talented and the only problem with their cover of "Landslide" is its massive overexposure.