Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The unpopular music opinion thread!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The unpopular music opinion thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer the Smashing pumpkins version to all other versions.
Old 02-26-03, 03:52 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking of the Pumpkins & a unpopular opinion I actually prefer their later albums (Adore in particular) to their earlier ones.
Old 02-26-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Aghama
Rush is not over-intellectual and emotionally sterile.
Word.
Old 02-27-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by inVectiVe
(This is "unpopular" in the sense that, though most have never heard of them, the band in question is *very* highly regarded in the metal scene.)

"Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk" by Emperor is nothing more than a nonstop stream of monotony. A cool band logo and album cover don't mean much when your music is poorly recorded fuzz.

Agreed.
Old 02-27-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Soundgarden was clearly the best band out of grunge-era Seattle. Mudhoney is second. "BadMotorFinger" is the definitive grunge album. Nirvana made one terrific album, and had a great producer on the second. That's all.

As a follow up to the above statement, Steve Albini is not overrated. Noone else can make such powerful records.

Foo Fighters is a better, more consistant band than Nirvana.

Early-mid 80s era SST records releases were the highppoint of American music in the last 20 years.

Mission of Burma is the least-cited most-influential band in America of the last 20 years.

Roxy Music is the most influential band of the 70s. Everything made in the 80s was influenced by them.

Husker Du is the most influential band of the 80s. Everything made in the 90s was influenced by them.

PJ Harvey is the greatest female rock star of the past 20 years.

Rap is still good these days, you just have to know where to look.

The White Stripes and The Strokes are worth the hype, they're both great. So are the Hives and AYWKUBTTOD.

That said, pop music is not at an all time low right now. It's about to explode with talent again, in fact it already is.

System of a Down is the best metal band in a while. Don't lump them in as "nu-metal".

Anything by the Rolling Stones post-Exile sucks ass, with the possible exception of parts of "Some Girls".

The Beach Boy's "Pet Sounds" is the best album of the sixties.

Eric Clapton, when he isn't in Cream, sucks.

Lenny Kravitz is absolutely terrible watered down crap.

Sly Stone is more important than Prince is American music. prince is no-where near George Clinton status-wise

John Bonham is an overrated drummer. Keith Moon and Mitch Mitchell were both easily better.

Blink 182 is a terrific pop band. "Take of your Pants and jacket" is one of the better pop albums of the past few years.

Blur was the best band in the world there for a while.

Pulp's "Different Class" is the best album of the ninties.

Sonic Youth's "Daydream Nation" is the best album of the eighties.
[/opinionated crap]
Old 02-27-03, 10:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Hiro11

Pulp's "Different Class" is the best album of the ninties.

Old 02-27-03, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by einTier
No, compared to the original, or with Tori Amos' cover of the same song, the Dixie Chicks' version is quite poor. I didn't like it the first time I heard it, or the 100th time I heard it -- or any time in between.
Threadcrap -- this is the unpopular music opinion thread.

Hey, I just don't think the Dixie Chicks' version is considerably different from either the original or the Pumpkins' version (haven't heard Tori's), which leads me to believe that the vitriol (and I use that word on purpose) unleashed upon it is based not on the song itself, but upon the band, video, or general overexposure.
Old 02-27-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I prefer Brian Johnson AC/DC to Bon Scott AC/DC
Old 02-27-03, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Hiro11

Blur was the best band in the world there for a while.

Best band until Radiohead released The Bends.
Old 02-27-03, 03:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
- Kid A and Amnesiac weren't too experimental; they just weren't very good.

- Phish is one of the most important (and best) bands of the past 25 years.

- You don't need to be stoned to enjoy a jamband.

- If Justin Timberlake keeps making records as good as "Cry Me a River," his affiliation with NSync will be forgotten, and the world will have obtained a great pop artist.

- The Velvet Underground is just as significant as the Beatles. Their contributions to popular music just aren't as widely recognized.

- Led Zeppelin is incredibly overrated.

- The Kinks are better than the Who, Zeppelin and almost every other British band from that era. Sometimes, they're even better than the Stones.

- Wilco's Summerteeth is a better disc than Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

- The Afghan Whigs were one of the best bands of the '90s, and Black Love is their best album.

- Nelly's not all that bad as far as popular hip hop is concerned.

- RZA's first album with the Gravediggaz (6 Feet Deep) is almost as good as Enter the Wu-Tang.

- Some of today's best music would be considered country by most people.

- Reggae music just isn't all that good (Bob Marley excepted).

- The Beastie Boys are way past their "sell by" date and need to hang up the mics once and for all.

- Analyzing and critiquing is dangerous because there's a good chance it'll make you forget why you love music in the first place (not that I don't do it anyway).

- Trance music blows.

- The Grateful Dead was an amazing alt-country band but only a decent jamband.

- Nirvana was good. Pavement was better.

- The Doors were extremely overrated.

- More horrible bands have emerged from Los Angeles than any other city, particularly the Eagles.
Old 02-27-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gdrlv The Afghan Whigs were one of the best bands of the '90s, and Black Love is their best album.
No, 'Black Love' is a masterpiece.
Glad too see I'm not the only person in this discussion to mention the 'Whigs...
Old 02-27-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by inVectiVe
(This is "unpopular" in the sense that, though most have never heard of them, the band in question is *very* highly regarded in the metal scene.)

"Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk" by Emperor is nothing more than a nonstop stream of monotony. A cool band logo and album cover don't mean much when your music is poorly recorded fuzz.
I disagree but I really don't care to get into it. Just a question, do you like any of Emperors albums? There was a time when I might have thought that Welkin Dusk was the best Emperor but now I'm leaning toward Equillibirum IX more.

Oh yeah and An*l C**t rules!
Old 02-27-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Andy Summers and Stuart Copeland do not get enough credit for their contributions to the Police...

Rush's last 3 albums are almost as good, if not as good as Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Signals.

The new overly "cooked" clipping sound in todays music production is stupid. I like a raw sound as much as anyone...but you don't need to clip the **** out of a cd for a "raw" sound.

It doesn't matter if a band knows just 3 chords or if a band can play open harmonics while playing Taurus pedals...it is the expression and the message of the music and the emotion that it causes/conveys that is important.
Old 02-28-03, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think Creed bears any resemblance to the doors.
I can think of a few.... they both suck, they are both way overrated and both singers sound like they are singing (and I use that term loosely) with a mouth full of peanuts.
Old 02-28-03, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Sammy Hagar better than David Lee Roth.
Old 02-28-03, 09:31 AM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
woofman - Thanks for backup.
Goat3001 - Sorry, haven't heard Emperor's others. The only black metal I can stand is recent Immortal and Absu's "Tara."
Hiro11 - I'm not saying the following just to spite you; I actually thought to add this before I read your post.

Though I haven't heard the whole album, I *can* say with certainty that "Chop Suey!" by System of a Down is not a good song. By any means. Even if I had liked it the first few times (I didn't), I'd still be sick of it now after hearing it 5,297 times. "Toxicity" (the song) was better, but still not good enough to justify the mass ejaculation triggered by the mere mention of this band's name.
Old 02-28-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by fallow
Aside from the glam/hair metal and one hit wonders, the 80s was an incredible decade for music.
Whilst I'm of the opinion that glam/hair metal bands added to the incredible decade that was the '80s.

Rap is NOT music in any way, shape or form. I don't care how many sampled sounds you slap on it.

Nirvana was crap as was their so called "music"

Britney's "Sometimes" was actually pretty good.

Christina's "Genie in a Bottle" album had great stuff on it that never got played in the radio.
Old 02-28-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi

Rap is NOT music in any way, shape or form.
Wrong answer.

Music
1 a : the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity
Old 02-28-03, 03:51 PM

I'll try to stay positive as not to contribute to the "Your Favorite band sucks" phenomena

Nirvana is a lot better than non-music critics give them credit for. Even their B-sides are great. However, it has become chic to say that they are overrated.

Avril Levigne is not punk in any way, and her lyrics are stupid. She does have some catchy pop songs though.

A Perfect Circle is better than Tool.

The Clash is not a punk band If you disagree, how can you explain "Rock the Casbah" and "Should I stay or Should I go?"

The guy from System of a Down has an incredibly annoying voice. Toxicity is a decent song, but Aerials is annoying.

Kid A and Amnesiac are boring albums with only a couple of good songs. I think it makes people feel smarter to say that they like these albums. As far as people comparing these albums to early Pink Floyd, I think that is a fair comparison because I don't care much for early pink floyd either
Old 02-28-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Avril Levigne is not punk in any way, and her lyrics are stupid.
Perhaps you glanced over the "un" part of the thread title.
Rap is NOT music in any way, shape or form. I don't care how many sampled sounds you slap on it.
I half agree, and it depends on what rap you're listenting to. Musically, I just don't think most rap is as creative and deep as other genres. I also think most rappers could hardly be considered "musicians". But rap is still music, just not in the 'conventional' sense. It has just as much artistic merit as other music in general.
Old 02-28-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since it seems popular - at least in this thread - to dislike rap music, I'm going to say that I think hip-hop and rap are two of the most innovative styles of music around.
Old 02-28-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by fallow
Since it seems popular - at least in this thread - to dislike rap music, I'm going to say that I think hip-hop and rap are two of the most innovative styles of music around.
Well I can understand why someone would love it, and conversely, I could definitely understand why someone would hate it. As I said, it's an extremely unconventional and different approach to 'music' in the grand scheme of things. The kind of musical substance non-rap fans and people of the pre-rap era look for in music just won't be found in rap. It's good in its own right.

Last edited by tha_dvd_man; 02-28-03 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-28-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's some more opinionated crap:

Faith No More's "Angel Dust" is possibly the most ahead-of-its-time album of the ninties. Other bands are just catching up now. You could release it today and it would go multi-platinum.

Love's "Forever Changes" is the second best album of the sixties, after "Pet Sounds".

The majority of the stuff that stays deep underground is not really worth listening to. In most cases, record company scouts actually know what they're talking about. Just because an album is obscure and college town record store clerks like it does not mean that the music is great. Just because an album sells 2 million copies does not mean that it doesn't have artistic integrity. Pitchforkmedia is guilty of this belief.

Cheap Trick's first four albums rank amoung the best ever. Particularly "Heaven Tonight" and the first one.

Def Leppard was an absolutely terrific pop band at their best (Pyromania and Hysteria). They can't be blamed for the lack of quality of their followers. Jeff Lange did some amazing production work for them that still sounds great in a car or on headphones.

In the same vein, too many people discount Motley Crue's "Shout at the Devil" which is a fairly amazing album.

My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" has still not been matched as a creative use of modern studio technology. Modern electronica like Matmos gets close, but no cigar. "Loveless" will sound visionary in twenty years time.

Rod Stewart is one of the greatest singers in the history of rock. If you don't believe me, listen to Faces stuff and anything off of "Every Picture..." or "Gasoline Alley". He's also one of the biggest sell-outs of all time.

Gram Parsons is the great unsung hero of the sixties. In two years, he made "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" with the Byrds, "The Guilded Palace of Sin" with Flying Burrito Bros. and "Exile on Main Street" with the Stones. These are all among the greatest albums of the late sixties, early seventies. Then he followed it up with two terrific solo albums: "GP" and "Greivous Angel" that inspired the entire alt-country scene. If you haven't heard this guy's stuff, you're missing out.

Sigur Ros's "Ágætis Byrjun" is the best album I've heard in a while. It's easily as inventive and exciting as "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot".

One last thing: "YHF" is not overrated. There is not a bad song on that disc.

Last edited by Hiro11; 02-28-03 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-28-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama
Wrong answer.

Music
1 a : the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity
Please refer to thread title. Thanks.
Old 02-28-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rap music is the best kind of music

And I'd do Avril Lavigne.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.