Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The unpopular music opinion thread!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The unpopular music opinion thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-03, 11:10 AM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eminem blows. I'm biased against rap to begin with, but at least some other rappers have interesting voices. This piece of white trash, in contrast, sounds every bit like the little pipsqueak he is: nasaly, whiny, wimpy. Why *anyone* would pay money to listen to that voice is beyond me. Oh wait - I guess it's because of his "intricate rhyming patterns." Like in "The Way I Am," where he rhymes "I Am" with......."I Am." Brilliant!

Rage Against the Machine are (were) criminally overrated. By-the-numbers songwriting. "I just started playing 2 weeks ago" drumming. A vocalist with a speech impediment. Oh-so-trendy politics ("Free Mumia!"). Zero musical progression from one album to the next (and wasn't it like 5 years between the first 2 albums?!) And a guitarist for whom the term "guitar wanking" must have been invented. I don't care if the stuff Morello does is difficult if it does not sound good. "But," you cry, "they, like, INVENTED rap-rock!" Excuse me, that's supposed to be a good thing? I could go on all day listing bands that eviscerate these guys musically, but I'll just list two that play metal of comparable speed/heaviness: Pantera and Machine Head (their debut album, at least).

Incubus manages to pull off the impossible: their music is incredibly smug and pretentious, yet totally bland and ordinary at the same time. Truly appalling vocalist. If I ever hear "Pardon Me" again I will NOT be held responsible for my actions.

I would rather have seen the return of hair metal than the rise of nu-metal. Even though we're supposed to laugh at them now, I think some good songs were produced by bands like Whitesnake ("Still of the Night," "Here I Go Again") and Skid Row ("18 & Life," "I Remember You," "Monkey Business").

I'm hardly an expert on them (having only heard one of like 8 albums in its entirety), but Cannibal Corpse can be fun to listen to. Their vocalist (the newer one) is *excellent* - if you like that sort of thing. Listen to "Pounded Into Dust" or "Pit of Zombies" or "Grotesque" and tell me this guy isn't as talented as Eminem.

Better stop there. That felt good!
Old 02-25-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Grateful Dead and Phish, aesthetically (if I spelled that right) they are terrible...just ****ing terrible...I can understand enjoying music with a good buzz on, but jesus, the only way you can enjoy that crap is with a good buzz on.
Old 02-25-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doesn't this whole thread just boil down to "your favorite band is suckekeke?"

Old 02-25-03, 02:41 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by grunter

yep sure does. there seems to be alot of this going around in the music forum as of late.
Old 02-25-03, 03:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
</small>Essentially, yes.

And so long as it stays here and people don't seek to change the minds of others through personal attack etc perhaps that is not such a bad way to contain those wishing to bash or to joke rather than to criticise constructively.

Last edited by benedict; 02-25-03 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-25-03, 03:13 PM

I hate all music.
Old 02-25-03, 03:21 PM

Not necessarily -- there are a number of comments along the lines of "[critically-or-publicly-maligned-artist] is not too bad; I enjoy their music." I don't want to ascribe any high-mindedness to the thread -- after all, it got its start in the Otter forum -- but it does offer the opportunity to express an opinion without people jumping down your throat for that opinion.
Old 02-25-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, imo, Creed is not a Pearl Jam ripoff, they sound more like The Doors .(I don't really care what and who they sound like, I just enjoy their music.)
Old 02-25-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
Also, imo, Creed is not a Pearl Jam ripoff, they sound more like The Doors .(I don't really care what and who they sound like, I just enjoy their music.)
I never heard anyone say they were a Pearl Jam ripoff, and if you like them then thats fine too but.. maybe I listen to the wrong Creed songs but I don't think they sound like The Doors at all. Granted, Creeds lead singer sounds a lot like Jim Morrison but I don't think their music sounds like the Doors at all.
Old 02-25-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think Creed bears any resemblance to the doors.
Old 02-25-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wouldn't mind if Scott Stapp did a Jim Morrison tribute in a Paris bathtub.
Old 02-25-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll kick this thread into overdrive (again):

U2
The Beatles
REM

Three of the most overrated bands in rock history.

And one more for safety:

Critics who categorically slam progressive rock are snot-nosed morons.
Old 02-25-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ohh..REM? Come on... I have to admit UP and Reveal, have, er, I dunno, finding them sort of yes-----irrelevant.....But if your one of those who despises hairbands, they are actually one of the catalysts for helping getting us out of that rut in the early 1990's. Their place in music history is undeniable, but maybe you should go back and take a listen and put it in a cultural perspective, then its a little different...If not, cool.

U2? Yeah, I tend to agree. I love the experimental U2: Zoorpa, Achtung Baby and yes even POP. I believe sometimes they wish they could be like Pearl Jam: do their own thing, be left alone, screw the companies and experiment, but unfortunately they painted themselves into a corner, saw they didn't like it and now manufacture bland, boring rock/pop (re All that you can't leave behind---oh, I left it behind a week after picking up, tossing it the local used music shop). Also Bono needs to shut the hell up.

The Beatles? I dunno, I'm 25, parent's didn't like them too much, I don't like them, just a few songs.

Creed? Oh, there are a loathsome bunch...That **** about Stapp and his wife is wild though...

Some stuff to agrue or think about:

Afghan Whigs are the most underappreciated band of the last 15 years. I don't think anybody can compete musically, lyrically, hell, artistically at times. They had a pretentious side *cough* Dulli *cough* but they knew how to rock and get your ass shakin'...

Dandy Warhols: I'm the only person who loves these guys? C'mon, they are great...even when your not stoned...

I like Radiohead's last few albums (though I have my own mix of OK Computer), KID A, Anmesiac, but, c'mon, are we all that blinded? They are a tad overratted, but they still make complicated, beautiful music that I hope continues...It just a lot of 70's experimentalism and Pink Floyd, but it's still very good...Hopefully they don't given in to pressure to be more "mainstream."

Actually, I think the Verve is the best band over the last 15 years, even eclipsing Pearl Jam. Only three albums, but nobody can touch them...

The state of hip-hop/rap is loathsome...If its not the Roots, Outkast, Jurassic 5 or Badu, I don't bother. (I think she was stoned at the Grammy's from what I read about her tele-promter episode...)

Also, I can't stop listening to that damn Interpol album...great...and still play Pete Yorn's last one.

Last edited by lostatmidnight; 02-25-03 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-26-03, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by ...except
Skinny Puppy is the best art ever, I'm glad they re-united and will be putting out a new disc this year.
Word!
Old 02-26-03, 01:55 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Tupac is extremely overrated.

Most of this new school rap that everyone on here seems to jock is extremely overrated.
Old 02-26-03, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jimi Hendrix was not the uber-genius guitarist everyone thinks he was.

Pink Floyd is not so much a mind-blowing, existence-expanding group as the best sleep aid ever.

Bagpipes are nice.
Old 02-26-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rush is not over-intellectual and emotionally sterile.
Old 02-26-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Alright then, Stapp himself sounds like Jim Morrison, maybe not the band. (didn't Creed do a cover of "Riders of the Storm")
Old 02-26-03, 01:22 PM

Old-school country rocks

Metal still rules

Garth Brooks, though annoying, is hot.

Cowbell is a good thing in music, if done tastefully.
Old 02-26-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Beatles weren't all the exciting to listen to.

Jimmy Hendrix was a cool bluesman and a great experimentalist, but I dislike a large portion of his catalogue.

Hair Metal made the '80s a great time for music.

Metallica's musical output would not have been significantly different had Cliff Burton survived the accident. (And on a related note Master of Puppets is the greatest album of all time)

The number of good American rock bands to come out since '94 can be counted on my hands.

Mordred
Old 02-26-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Aside from the glam/hair metal and one hit wonders, the 80s was an incredible decade for music.
Old 02-26-03, 02:28 PM
Banned

By far the funniest band I've ever heard is Anal C***. Whenever I need a quick laugh I go over to Amazon and read their song titles. Cracks me up every time.

Also testing well on my Laugh-O-Meter is "The Great Milenko" by Insane Clown Posse. I hate rap - but viewed as a comedy album, this thing is genius.
Old 02-26-03, 02:45 PM

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts
Rap music does NOT suck and never will!
Nothing better than Grindin' a chick at the nightclub to Missy Elliot's Work-It!
Old 02-26-03, 03:13 PM
Banned

(This is "unpopular" in the sense that, though most have never heard of them, the band in question is *very* highly regarded in the metal scene.)

"Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk" by Emperor is nothing more than a nonstop stream of monotony. A cool band logo and album cover don't mean much when your music is poorly recorded fuzz.
Old 02-26-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SAShepherd
The Dixie Chicks are talented and the only problem with their cover of "Landslide" is its massive overexposure.
No, compared to the original, or with Tori Amos' cover of the same song, the Dixie Chicks' version is quite poor. I didn't like it the first time I heard it, or the 100th time I heard it -- or any time in between.

I will agree that the Dixie Chicks are talented. Landslide just isn't one of their best.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.