DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Cold play at the Grammys (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/273845-cold-play-grammys.html)

Matt 02-24-03 06:41 PM

Originally posted by KevinSmithIsGod
But whats funner, this thread or Coldplays performance?
Zing!

eXcentris 02-24-03 06:44 PM

I know someone named KevinSmithIsCrap who likes Coldplay. :)

RevLiver 02-24-03 06:48 PM

Coldplay and the tribute to Joe Strummer were the two best performances last night. Looked to me like Chris was channeling Thom Yorke, with the facial expressions.

conscience 02-24-03 07:14 PM

There was nothing artisitic, inspiring or thought provoking about it.
It was some guy just pounding on a piano while screaming..

:eek: Oh my god. Then we better get rid of artists like Billy Joel, Elton John, Ray Charles, Little Richard, and Jerry Lee Lewis too, I guess?

Thankfully Nirvana (and other alternative bands in the late 80s early 90s) came and kicked the hair bands out on their leathered asses.

J-Dubya 02-24-03 07:21 PM

give me one because one is best

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 07:50 PM

Originally posted by conscience
:eek: Oh my god. Then we better get rid of artists like Billy Joel, Elton John, Ray Charles, Little Richard, and Jerry Lee Lewis too, I guess?

Thankfully Nirvana (and other alternative bands in the late 80s early 90s) came and kicked the hair bands out on their leathered asses.

First of all, dont you EVER compare Coldplay to those artists you mentioned above..thats just blasphemy. Those artists were/are amazing and wrote great songs...they brought something to music....coldplay hasnt brought a thing..
Comparing them to coldplay is like comparing Eddie Van Halen to Billy Corgan just because they both play guitar..

2nd..where are all these "alternative" bands now?

conscience 02-24-03 07:59 PM

First of all, dont you EVER compare Coldplay to those artists you mentioned above..thats just blasphemy. Those artists were/are amazing and wrote great songs...they brought something to music....coldplay hasnt brought a thing..
Comparing them to coldplay is like comparing Eddie Van Halen to Billy Corgan just because they both play guitar..

I don't seem to recall comparing their musical talents. They all are completely different from one another. That is why I quoted your "pounding on a piano while screaming".

All you seem to be arguing is the pounding on the piano.

A pitiful agruement it is, btw.

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 08:04 PM

I don't seem to recall comparing their musical talents. They all are completely different from one another. That is why I quoted your "pounding on a piano while screaming".

All you seem to be arguing is the pounding on the piano.

A pitiful agruement it is, btw.

So then what does your point have to do with ANYTHING?
They didnt pound crap out of their piano and make noise...they all play it beautifully ..I never heard any of them scream or whatever he did ...

Im arguing that the guy has no talent..that wasnt music.

So Im listening to "Coldplay radio" right now..just to see if maybe Im wrong...well, so far Im not..I just got done listening to some 7 minute dance song that kept repeating something about a robot..terrible..

conscience 02-24-03 08:06 PM

2nd..where are all these "alternative" bands now?

Having their records in my collection.

two words: pearl jam

And that is a hellofa lot better than being a laughing stock to the music industry.

Hmmmm....alternative, modern rock, . You get the idea. And I know the idea. Hair bands are over with. Get with the times.

The hair band era was just a break in concentration from artists like The Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, Lou Reed and his Velvet Underground cronies to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, early Red Hot Chili Peppers, and yes, The Smashing Pumpkins among others.

<i>I guess I should answer you actual question...so I edited.</i>

conscience 02-24-03 08:07 PM

So then what does your point have to do with ANYTHING?
They didnt pound crap out of their piano and make noise...they all play it beautifully ..I never heard any of them scream or whatever he did ...

Im arguing that the guy has no talent..that wasnt music.

So Im listening to "Coldplay radio" right now..just to see if maybe Im wrong...well, so far Im not..I just got done listening to some 7 minute dance song that kept repeating something about a robot..terrible..

Please. Go grab your spare hairspray and pop in a Poison cassette.

Matt 02-24-03 08:10 PM

Hair bands are over with. Get with the times.
Hey, man, them's fightin' words! Winger's "Seventeen" is music for the ages. No English ponce banging on a piano in that one, man.

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 08:10 PM

All I have to say are two more words:

Pearl Jam.

Hmmmm....alternative, modern rock, . You get the idea. And I know the idea. Hair bands are over with. Get with the times.

The hair band era was just a break in concentration from artists like The Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, Lou Reed and his Velvet Underground cronies to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, early Red Hot Chili Peppers, and yes, The Smashing Pumpkins among others.

Pearl Jam? Again, WHERE ARE THEY NOW?
They are noones..they are in the same place as many hairbands and didnt last nearly as long as most of the hairbands.

Get with the times? Hard to say when you mention The beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd,Who and Lou Reed...all of whom I like(except for Floyd)..but their haydays are over with...

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 08:13 PM

Please. Go grab your spare hairspray and pop in a Poison cassette.
You have a party or go to a bar and put on "Talk dirty to me" and see the everyone sing along and have a good time...

Put on some old "alternative" band and see everyone stand around lookin at each other...

I use to work for an all 80s radio show and the show had HUGE ratings...it still does..in fact its syndicated on over 50 stations across the U.S.....I dont see any all "alternative" radio shows..

conscience 02-24-03 08:14 PM

The Times = Respecting great music while delving into what today has to offer.

The hair bands, are not great music. Nowhere near that.

conscience 02-24-03 08:15 PM

This isn't about ratings on a two-bit 80s radio station. This is about great music.

Coldplay or Motley Crue?

Hmmmmmmm.

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Virex
Hey, man, them's fightin' words! Winger's "Seventeen" is music for the ages. No English ponce banging on a piano in that one, man.
Say what you want..but I can guarantee you that the guys in Winger are 100000 times the musicians the guys in coldplay are..

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 08:17 PM

This isn't about ratings on a two-bit 80s radio station. This is about great music.

Coldplay or Motley Crue?

Hmmmmmmm.

A band that has lasted over 20 years and has sold millions of records...or a band that will be gone in 14:59...

Hmmmm...

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 08:17 PM

The Times = Respecting great music while delving into what today has to offer.

The hair bands, are not great music. Nowhere near that.

Hair bands can be called music...while coldplay is just drawn out, boring, noise...

conscience 02-24-03 08:19 PM

Motley Crue:

A fascination to only women in the 80s.

Coldplay:

A fascination to people who love real music.

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 08:24 PM

Motley Crue:

A fascination to only women in the 80s.

Coldplay:

A fascination to people who love real music.

Well, Im a lover of all music..and Coldplay is the bottom of the barrel to me..its background noise..its def. not real music and its becoming more apparent as I listen to this Coldplay radio...
If I hear one more long guitar solo of the same notes over and over again Im gonna puke...

So should The beatles be dismissed because women loved them back in the 60s?

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 08:27 PM

Oh and by the way..

When was the last time Coldplay sold out multiple nights in a row..like say..Def Leppard just did in NYC? Or the last time they sold out Giants Stadium 3 nights in a row like Bon Jovi?
Or the last time they headlined an arena like WhiteSnake is doing right now?

MJKTool 02-24-03 08:34 PM

Pearl Jam? Again, WHERE ARE THEY NOW?
They are noones..they are in the same place as many hairbands and didnt last nearly as long as most of the hairbands.

Are you joking? Pearl Jam is still alive and still kicking ass having a huge loyal fan base. There is a big difference between the two. Pearl Jam chose to move away from the MTV spotlight so they wouldnt end up like the hairbands who were being played to death (very smart move). Whereas the hairbands got their spandex asses kicked off of MTV.

Jason 02-24-03 08:42 PM

The piss poor music coming out today is a direct result of the wholesale jettisoning of an entire style of music in the early 1990's. With the exception of Disco, rock music had been more or less steadily building on the foundations of the past. Bands through the 70's and 80's acknowledged the accomplishments of those who came before and grew from their influences. This progression was castrated on September 24, 1991.

The fact that Pearl Jam are still a successful draw does not prove anything about one particular style over another, just that fans will stick with the truly popular groups over time.

Were some metal bands jokes? Sure. Ever see Tigertailz? But the last time I checked, the cut-out bins were overflowing with early 90's alternative acts, and OOP CDs by hair metal bands like Keel and Hurricane were selling for $30-$40 on ebay. Nothing lasts forever, and while Pearl Jam are unlikely to ever be relegated to "joke" status, bands like Temple of the Dog will soon be seen for the overwrought nonsense that they were, and will be the Winger for a new generation.

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 08:43 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
Are you joking? Pearl Jam is still alive and still kicking ass having a huge loyal fan base. There is a big difference between the two. Pearl Jam chose to move away from the MTV spotlight so they wouldnt end up like the hairbands who were being played to death (very smart move). Whereas the hairbands got their spandex asses kicked off of MTV.

Sure sure..thats what they say....face it, their new music sucks..thats why radio etc..doesnt play them..
They prob. have just as big of a fan base as any hair band does today..

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 08:47 PM

Originally posted by Jason
The piss poor music coming out today is a direct result of the wholesale jettisoning of an entire style of music in the early 1990's. With the exception of Disco, rock music had been more or less steadily building on the foundations of the past. Bands through the 70's and 80's acknowledged the accomplishments of those who came before and grew from their influences. This progression was castrated on September 24, 1991.

The fact that Pearl Jam are still a successful draw does not prove anything about one particular style over another, just that fans will stick with the truly popular groups over time.

Were some metal bands jokes? Sure. Ever see Tigertailz? But the last time I checked, the cut-out bins were overflowing with early 90's alternative acts, and OOP CDs by hair metal bands like Keel and Hurricane were selling for $30-$40 on ebay. Nothing lasts forever, and while Pearl Jam are unlikely to ever be relegated to "joke" status, bands like Temple of the Dog will soon be seen for the overwrought nonsense that they were, and will be the Winger for a new generation.

Very well said Jason..
There is a band called "Cats n boots" a not so great hair band..their cds are going for 400 bucks on ebay...