Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Radiohead: New LP 6/09/03 (!!!)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Radiohead: New LP 6/09/03 (!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
More news from our friends at http://www.pitchforkmedia.com<hr>

Word came in across the wire yesterday afternoon that Radiohead have now announced an official title and tracklist for their forthcoming sixth album, in addition to the June 10th release date they trumpeted last week. The outcry among Radiohead supporters is that the new title, Hail to the Thief, is easily their least original since... ever. A none-too-subtle jab at G.W. Bush that is, even now, nigh on becoming as dated as a Dead Kennedys lyric, it doesn't bode well for the originality the band has made their trademark since the release of 1995's The Bends.

Nonetheless, fans remain optimistic about the material on the record, which-- if recent performances are any indication (and they may well not be)-- is the band's darkest yet. The fourteen-track lineup encompasses just about all of the new songs debuted in the band's showcase European tour last summer. Dark horse album contenders "Go to Sleep" and "Where I End And You Begin" have both made the cut, and AOL Instant Messenger traffic was momentarily disrupted Monday when 3.7 million Radiohead geeks simultaneously exchanged digital high-fives over the inclusion of longtime bridesmaid "I Will". Yorke and crew even give a shout-out to fuzzy math in opener (and potential single) "2 + 2 = 5" and toss in previously unknown tracks "Backdrifts" and "The Gloaming" for the hell of it.

Very little is known about the sound of the Nigel Godrich-produced record, save for Yorke's own comments on "Myxomatosis" as posted on the official Radiohead bulletin board earlier this month (and we quote): "It has Funk and UGGGGLLLIIIIEEEEEE keyboards." ****ing Filter magazine, of all people, were somehow sneaked a listen to four cuts from Hail to the Thief, and the geniuses over there compared it to OK Computer. Original, guys!

Interestingly, two tunes debuted in a December webcast (known unofficially as "I Froze Up" and "Good Morning Mr. Magpie") have apparently not made the cut. New song "Up on the Ladder" (which New Musical Express compared favorably to "Airbag") is also among the also-rans, alongside longtime fan jizz objects "Lift" and "Big Ideas (Don't Get Any)". As previously reported, the first single from Hail to the Thief, "There There", is expected to include four non-album cuts, so cross your fingers and don't uncross them until the single is released on May 26th or it won't happen.

Radiohead are also collecting video clips from fans for inclusion in an as-yet undisclosed multimedia project. The band will be accepting entries between 10 seconds and "at most a song's length" until May 8th via the group's Oxford P.O. box. "Take one of the live MP3's of a Radiohead track," the band's recipe-like announcement reads in part. "Make some moving pictures to it (can be anything: live action, animation, graphics, etc.)" Radiohead will also consider existing short films "that would benefit from an airing," brief Quicktime animations, and entries from 2003 Best Director winner Roman Polanski for the project. Visit the w.a.s.t.e. fanclub site for more info.

The band's publicists are also teasing us to expect a North American tour as soon as this fall. <hr>

He he he............77 Days to go.

BBP
Old 03-25-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like my question has been answered:

http://www.nme.com/news/104581.htm

The title of RADIOHEAD sixth album 'HAIL TO THE THIEF' is also an anti-GEORGE W BUSH slogan used by protesters at the end of the controversial election campaign that put him into the WHITE HOUSE, NME.COM can exclusively reveal.

The phrase 'Hail To The Thief' was coined by protesters at the end of the 2000 US Presidential election, when controversy famously surrounded Bush's rise to office. The battle between Bush and Democrat candidate Al Gore came to a bitter end, with the result in the key state of Florida dogged by recounts, amid allegations of unfairness in the voting process.

On the day of his inauguration Bush was greeted in Washington by thousands of protesters with banners, some of who shouted, 'Hail to the thief, our commander in chief'.

The phrase has now become well used in anti-Bush circles. A website, www.hail-to-the-thief.org, that casts a cynical eye over US policy is active and goes under the banner 'Hail to the Thief! Love your country. Never trust its government.' A number of books and articles have also been written, perhaps most famously 'Mediaocracy 2000 -Hail to the Thief' by Danny Schechter, which looks at the role of the media in the election.
Old 03-30-03, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
The whole album's just been leaked late last night, and is making it's way around the 'dark corners' of the net.

Final Track List:
01. 2+2=5
02. Sit Down
03. Sail to the Moon
04. Backdrifts
05. Go to Sleep
06. Where I End and You Begin
07. We Suck Young Blood
08. The Gloaming
09. There There
10. I Will
11. A Punch-Up at a Wedding
12. Myxomatosis
13. Scatterbrain
14. Wolf at the Door

-k
###

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 03-30-03 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-30-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Keyser Soze
The whole album's just been leaked late last night, and is making it's way around the 'dark corners' of the net.

Final Track List:
01. 2+2=5
02. Sit Down
03. Sail to the Moon
04. Backdrifts
05. Go to Sleep
06. Where I End and You Begin
07. We Suck Young Blood
08. The Gloaming
09. There There
10. I Will
11. A Punch-Up at a Wedding
12. Myxomatosis
13. Scatterbrain
14. Wolf at the Door

-k
###

Yep, I am listening to it now. I am definitely liking it. For those that care, yes I will be buying it on release day.
Old 03-30-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it has already been leaked they should move up the release date.

Am I the only one here who waits for an album to be officially released before listening to it? Radiohead is one of my favorite bands and part of the fun of a new album is the anticipation that each new release brings. I look forward to release day and the knowledge that I will be listening to a whole album of new Radiohead songs. Part of this would be ruined for me if I had heard all the music up front.

Dont get me wrong. I download music myself and I am in no way criticizing people for downloading this album. I just think its cool that when I buy the new White Stripes next week it will be the first time I ever hear their new songs. Same goes for Radiohead.

So why not move the release date up month? Its not like they are releasing it just in time for a major holiday. And if, as the title indicates, this album deals with issues like George W. and the war it seems that releasing it early would keep it more topical. For all we know, the war could be over come June and then 'Hail to the Thief' may seem a little dated.

Either way, I will be first in line come June 10th or whenever.

Just my 2 cents.

BBP
Old 03-30-03, 12:49 PM
Banned

The album is freaking awesome! Sit down, Stand up
Old 03-30-03, 03:46 PM

I've heard a few of the new songs...this is the most guitar i've heard them play in years ...maybe some people will leave them alone now with "please play guitar like on the Bends" statements.
Old 03-30-03, 04:35 PM
Banned

I've listened to the whole thing now. This album is definitely better than Amnesiac, less experimental than Kid A. I'll say this:
HAIL TO THE THIEF IS THE PROPER FOLLOW-UP TO OK COMPUTER!
Amazing album from start to finish.
Old 03-30-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bigbadpanda
definitely. the album seems to be all over the internet by now.. it'd be foolish to wait over 2 months before releasing it now.. by then pretty much anyone who wants it will have gotten ahold of it (and possibly listened to it so much that they're not too interested shelling out money to get the real cd).
Old 03-30-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I the only one here who waits for an album to be officially released before listening to it? Radiohead is one of my favorite bands and part of the fun of a new album is the anticipation that each new release brings. I look forward to release day and the knowledge that I will be listening to a whole album of new Radiohead songs. Part of this would be ruined for me if I had heard all the music up front.

Dont get me wrong. I download music myself and I am in no way criticizing people for downloading this album. I just think its cool that when I buy the new White Stripes next week it will be the first time I ever hear their new songs. Same goes for Radiohead.

So why not move the release date up month? Its not like they are releasing it just in time for a major holiday. And if, as the title indicates, this album deals with issues like George W. and the war it seems that releasing it early would keep it more topical. For all we know, the war could be over come June and then 'Hail to the Thief' may seem a little dated.

Either way, I will be first in line come June 10th or whenever.

Just my 2 cents.

BBP
If they moved the release date up a month... I would have probably been listening to it back in late Jan.

I too love hearing the albums for the first time, but for me, it's the rush to get it asap! I don't download single songs to hear before a release date, I'll only DLd a full ablum if it becomes available.

And I too will be in line to pick this up in June... I shot pictures of these guys at a local concert back in the day when they released Pablo Honey.....

... cause I'm a Creep.

-k
###
Old 03-30-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by evenflowddt
This album is definitely better than Amnesiac, less experimental than Kid A. I'll say this:
HAIL TO THE THIEF IS THE PROPER FOLLOW-UP TO OK COMPUTER!
<hr>

Cmon.

How can this be the proper follow-up to OK Computer. Why are people so hesitant to allow artists to explore musically? Kid A and Amnesiac were brilliant albums. They just didn't sound like Radioheads earlier brilliant albums. It sometimes seems like the only two Radiohead albums that people really like are The Bends and OK Computer.

Sure, if Radiohead had released three albums after OK Computer that all sounded like OK Computer we would have snatched them up without hesitation but where is the fun in that? In years to come, when we browse back through our record collections, the albums that will really stand out are the ones like Kid A and Amnesiac. These are the albums that challenged us as listeners and ultimately will be the most satisfying.

That being said........I can't wait for Hail to the Thief!!! lol<hr>

Sorry I am bitchin so much today (see above earlier post). I must be in a bad mood. Blame it on the black star. Or maybe its because the country I live in is bombing another country. Yea. I guess that could be it.

BBP
Old 03-30-03, 06:16 PM
Banned

It's actually breath-taking how good this album is
Old 03-30-03, 06:17 PM
Banned

<hr>

Cmon.

How can this be the proper follow-up to OK Computer. Why are people so hesitant to allow artists to explore musically? Kid A and Amnesiac were brilliant albums. They just didn't sound like Radioheads earlier brilliant albums. It sometimes seems like the only two Radiohead albums that people really like are The Bends and OK Computer.

Sure, if Radiohead had released three albums after OK Computer that all sounded like OK Computer we would have snatched them up without hesitation but where is the fun in that? In years to come, when we browse back through our record collections, the albums that will really stand out are the ones like Kid A and Amnesiac. These are the albums that challenged us as listeners and ultimately will be the most satisfying.

I never said that Kid A or Amnesiac sucked. Kid A is my 2nd favorite Radiohead album. (well 3rd because Hail to the Thief is now 2nd). All I meant was that Hail to the Thief sounds like it could have followed OK Computer and it's the album that all those people who didn't like Kid A/Amnesiac were waiting for.
Old 03-30-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Right on evenflowddt.......

I was just bitchin for the sake of bitchin. My comments were in no way directed at you in particular. I can totally see where you are coming from in your reasoning.<hr>

I think that reading all these reviews of the new album is going to drive me crazy.

BBP
Old 03-30-03, 07:04 PM
Banned

I think that reading all these reviews of the new album is going to drive me crazy.

BBP
Here's my review song by song :

1. 2+2=5
Spoiler:
Continues Radiohead's tradition of having a stunning opener. This song has different movements ala Paranoid Android. Should be a single, maybe 3rd single.

2. Sit Down. Stand Up
Spoiler:
This one is one bad mofo. Builds up and builds up to an amazing Idioteque-like climax.

3. Sail to the Moon
Spoiler:
Slow song, similar to Pyramid Song. Great lyrics.

4. Backdrifts
Spoiler:
Kinda like Like Spinning Plates but with a stunning ending

5. Go to Sleep
Spoiler:
Fans of Radiohead from the Bends-era will be all over this one. Reminds me of Just and My Iron Lung

6. Where I end and you begin
Spoiler:
Probably Thom's greatest lyrics on this album. The drums are amazing.

7. We suck young blood
Spoiler:
This one is the only song that I don't like. Too slow and the hand clapping is blah.

8. The Gloaming
Spoiler:
Pulk/Pull's smarter brother. At least this one has some kind of direction.

9. There There
Spoiler:
First single and one of the most mainstream Radiohead songs ever. The vocals are kinda low on the version I got though.

10. I will
Spoiler:
Fake Plastic Trees. Exit Music. How to disappear completely. You and whose army. I will.

11. Punch up at a Wedding
Spoiler:
My pick for 2nd single. Sounds cool (Cool as in Ocean's Eleven or Snatch cool if you get what I mean)

12. Myxamatosis
Spoiler:
OMG. This song is just sick.

13. Scatterbrain
Spoiler:
Sounds about the same as the live versions. Still great

14. Wolf at the door
Spoiler:
Somehow they got a rap-like song to work as an ending song. Probably the melody.

Best songs after 3 listens: Myxamatosis, I Will, Sit down Stand up, 2+2=5
Old 03-30-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great review... I'm digging track 6 big time!

-k
###
Old 03-31-03, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lyrics anyone?

-k
###
Old 03-31-03, 01:11 AM
Banned

I enjoy your commens evenflowddt except that i think "We suck young blood" is one of the standout tracks on the album. That, where i end and you begin, 2+2=5, backdrifts, and a punch up are the top 5 on the album for me.
Old 03-31-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Listen #1: At work with the speakers turned low so I wouldn't bother co-workers. I'm liking what I hear.

Listen #2: In the car on the way home. I can finally turn it up and am enjoying it more.

Listen #3: At home with it cranked up on my HT.

I can't wait for this album to come out. It definitely has a sound more similar to the Bends and OK Computer with a little of Kid A and Amnesiac thrown in.
Old 04-01-03, 01:18 PM

Many of you might already have heard, but it turns out that the version of Hail to the Thief that's been leaked onto the internet is actually an un-mastered (and in some cases, unfinished) version.

Presumably this means the album can only get better
Old 04-03-03, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...c_radiohead_dc

Radiohead Guitarist Says Leaked Tracks 'Stolen'
Wed Apr 2, 8:00 PM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Jonathan Cohen

NEW YORK (Billboard) - As MP3 files purportedly featuring tracks from Radiohead's upcoming album "Hail to the Thief" continue to circulate online, guitarist Jonny Greenwood took to the band's official Web site (http://www.radiohead.com) on Wednesday to decry the files as "a stolen copy of early, unmixed edits and roughs."

When the cuts from "Hail to the Thief," due June 10 from Capitol, leaked last weekend, Greenwood seemed bemused by the situation.

"We're not angry really," he said at the time. "Shame it's not a package with the artwork and all, but there you go."

But he now says it has become apparent that these versions constitute "work we've not finished, being released in this sloppy way, 10 weeks before the real version is even available. It doesn't even exist as a record yet."

"So yes, we're annoyed -- the songs are good on the recordings, which you can hear," he continued. "But we worked on them after this point until we were happy with them. This is why we're p---ed off -- we didn't give up on them in February (which is what you're hearing) and it's just a shame that, to your ears, we did."

A source tells Billboard.com that album producer Nigel Godrich reviewed the files that are circulating and confirmed they may date from as far back as the first day of mixing.

In the past two days, Capitol parent EMI has sent cease-and-desist orders to a number of individuals who were hosting the files on their personal Web pages. A spokesperson says the company is "taking a variety of actions to make sure the works are protected as much as we can."

"So of course people will still download them and hear them, I can understand the temptation," Greenwood said. "It's not you lot I'm p---ed off about, it's just the situation I guess. It's stolen work."

Radiohead's past two albums, "Kid A" and "Amnesiac," were also were available online several weeks before street date, despite the fact that no advance copies were circulated and journalists were required to listen to them at the office of the band's publicist. Nevertheless, the sets debuted at No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, on the Billboard 200, and have sold more than 1.7 million copies in the U.S. combined, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Reuters/VNU
Old 04-03-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow. After all the good reviews I can't believe it wasn't even the mastered tapes.

Remember when this happened with the Dave Mattews album last year. Hopefully fans wont fall in love with the unmastered tracks and then reject the finished product.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Jay
Old 04-03-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love this album already. i can't wait until the official release!

i started really liking track 5. moved on to really liking track 2. today it was track 6. tomorrow it will be either 9 or 11, probably...

i love this frickin' album!
-di doctor-
Old 04-04-03, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoy it so far.

Hopefully, the final production will be something special.
Old 04-04-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Listen to it on headphones...you will really hear how raw and un-mixed it is. You hear the band members talking during one of the tracks (very faint), guitar parts suddenly get louder. I wish I hadn't downloaded it now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.