Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Radiohead: New LP 6/09/03 (!!!)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Radiohead: New LP 6/09/03 (!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See, this is why I'm glad that I decided to tough it out until June. I read on NME that the tracks were unfinished, so I'll just await for the final package.
Old 04-05-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Now there is a bootleg of them doing all the tunes from Hail to the Thief...live.
Old 04-19-03, 05:51 PM

http://www.greenplastic.com/news/archives/00000429.html

Cover
Old 04-20-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by henryfish
http://www.greenplastic.com/news/archives/00000429.html

Cover
Don't open that link!!!! Don't do it!!!! Don't you want to be suprised?!?

sigh.......

I've lost you all. June isn't coming soon enough.

Happy easter,

BBP
Old 05-01-03, 09:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
For some reason NME doesn't have the review on their website. But essentially they gave the album a favourable review and a rating of 7/10.
Old 05-01-03, 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Giles
For some reason NME doesn't have the review on their website. But essentially they gave the album a favourable review and a rating of 7/10.
Blah, it should have gotten at least a 9.
Old 05-01-03, 10:51 PM
Banned

3 of the new songs will be played on C.S.I., one each week for the next 3 week.
Tonight's episode featured Sit Down, Stand Up. Which was f***ing awesome. Way clearer than that unmastered version. Only about 30 seconds though...
Old 05-08-03, 02:53 PM

"There There" UK Single released on 26th of May

tracklisting:

1. There, There
2. Paperbag Writer
3. Where Bluebirds Fly
Old 05-12-03, 12:41 PM
Banned

The video for There There can be found at radiohead.tv.

You just have to register.
Great video.
Old 05-14-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

some old info but........

from our friends at Pitchforkmedia.com

Marnie Christenson reports:
So here we are reporting, for what feels like the eighth time this year, on Radiohead goings on. It is this fact alone that speaks to the ball of contradiction that is Radiohead. For a band whose political philosophy is akin to Naomi Klein's No Logo, they sure do have one helluva promotional machine. But is it the message or the means? Ponder that for a while, and thank us later for providing you with a topic for the history and communications final essay that's gonna impress the pants off your pinko professor. As for us, we suppose we're part of that promo machine (no!) and we rage onward. And now, your up-to-the-minute Radiohead news in five parts...

Part I: Tour Dates:
The band have just announced a veritable assload of European tour dates for the fall-- presumably only a sampling of what's reported to be a large-scale arena tour this fall/winter. Tickets for the UK and Ireland dates in November and December go on sale May 17th.

As of this writing, three additional U.S. dates-- in addition to the previously announced Field Day Festival appearance-- have been announced as "unconfirmed." Whatever, we're campin' out anyway. The Denver Post reported on April 20th that Radiohead has indeed locked in a date at the legendary Red Rocks amphitheatre. As for the June 6th Beacon Theatre appearance in New York, it was first reported on various Radiohead sites that the date was on and set to be recorded for MTV. This looks to be the case-- MTV2 will broadcast the show exclusively on June 17th as part of their 2$Bill series (the network also plans to present live coverage of the Field Day festival, June 7-8). However, there is yet to be an official confirmation of all this from the Radiohead administration.

Because these dates keep gradually trickling in, we offer them once again in their entirety.

05-17 Dublin, Ireland - Olympia Theatre
05-18 Dublin, Ireland - Olympia Theatre
05-19 Belfast, Northern Ireland - Waterfront
05-21 Edinburgh, Scotland - Corn Exchange
05-22 Manchester, UK - Apollo
05-24 London, UK - Shepherds Bush Empire
05-25 London, UK - Shepherds Bush Empire
06-06 New York City, NY - Beacon Theatre (unconfirmed)
06-07 Long Island, NY - Field Day Festival
06-13 Hultsfred, Sweden - Hultsfred Festival
06-20 Neuhausen ob Eck, Germany - Southside Festival
06-22 Scheeßel, Germany - Hurricane Festival
06-26 Werchter, Belgium - Rock Werchter Festival
06-28 Pilton, UK - Glastonbury Festival
07-04 Belfort, France - Les Eurockennes Festival
07-05 Montreux, Switzerland - Stravinski Auditorium
07-07 Bergamo, Italy - Il Lazzaretto
07-08 Firenze, Italy - Piazza Michelangelo
07-11 Ferrara, Italy - Piazza Castello
07-14 Nimes, France - Nimes Arena
07-17 Vigo, Spain - Parque de Castrelos (unconfirmed)
08-02 Tokyo, Japan - Summersonic Festival
08-03 Osaka, Japan - Summersonic Festival
08-26 Denver, CO - Red Rocks (unconfirmed)
08-28 Salt Lake City, UT - USANA Amphitheatre (unconfirmed)
11-22 Manchester, UK - Manchester Evening News Arena
11-23 Newcastle, UK - Newcastle Telewest Arena
11-24 Cardiff, UK - Cardiff International Arena
11-26 London, UK - London Earls Court
11-29 Nottingham, UK - Nottingham Arena
11-30 Glasgow, UK - Glasgow SECC
12-01 Aberdeen, UK - Aberdeen AECC
12-03 Dublin, IRE - The Point Theatre

Part II: Album Artwork:
NME recently reported the lowdown on the Hail to the Thief cover art: "The group, who based the artwork to last album Amnesiac on an old library book, have designed and made Hail to the Thief in the format of a road map, and a number of limited edition copies of the album will come in the form of a real fold out map," sez that nastee publication. The "map" is made up of colored blocks of words that, as Thom Yorke told NME, "rang bells in his head" while listening to the political fallout of the 9-11 attacks and the bombing of Afghanistan. And then there's this alternate titles business. In an utterly inexplicable move, the album and the tracks will have two titles. Here they are, with the alternates on the right:

Hail To The Thief/The Gloaming:
01 2+2=5/The Lukewarm
02 Sit Down Stand Up/Snakes & Ladders
03 Sail To The Moon/Brush the Cobwebs Out Of The Sky
04 Backdrifts/Honeymoon Is Over
05 Go To Sleep/Little Man Being Erased
06 Where I End And You Begin/The Sky Falling In
07 We Suck Young Blood/Your Time Is Up
08 The Gloaming/Softly Open our Mouths In The Cold
09 There There/The Boney King of Nowhere
10 I Will/No Man's Land
11 A Punch Up At A Wedding/No No No No No No No No
12 Myxamatosis/Judge, Jury & Executioner
13 Scatterbrain/As Dead As Leaves
14 A Wolf At The Door/It Girl. Rag Doll

Part III: The First Single and Video
The first single from Hail to the Thief will be "There There", and will hit the store shelves May 27th. Fans can expect three versions: a CD1, a limited edition DVD, and 12" vinyl. At the moment, you can stream the single at the Capitol website, and see the artwork on the At Ease fansite. Launch.com, meanwhile, is hosting the "There There" video, and if we do say so ourselves, it's a fine return-to-form for a band that, prior to the ridiculous **** they passed off on us for Kid A and Amnesiac, were known for their creative videos.

This one features a stop-motion Thom Yorke (similar animation to Sam Raimi's Evil Dead films) creeping through a forest, where he happens upon: 1) a small house, in which two rather dapper rats converse by the fireplace; 2) some small furry animals having a tea party; 3) some cats being married. Later, he steals some fine, glowing attire (which he promptly equips) from some crows, who proceed to chase him around until he turns into a tree. FIN! It really is better than it sounds.

Part IV: Radiohead.tv:
As of April 28th, the brand spankin' new radiohead.tv site is up... but not necessarily running! As of this writing, the site's function is limited to sign-ups for the band's w.a.s.t.e. mailing list and some bits of the cover art. In the coming days (or weeks), the site will house videos from the studio, tracks from the album (for those of you that don't already, ahem, have them in some form), cover art for the singles, video games, blips, a Q&A webboard for the band, and more. And to top it all off-- in a sorta lame techie move that indicates this has all gone way too far-- you can remotely scare your friends by entering their mobile number and, apparently, when the call is answered they will hear, "Hail to the Thief!" Bwwwahhh haaaa haaaa. How very fiendish. The message board denizens will be occupied for days trying to coax cell numbers out of their "friends."

Part V: Hail to the Thief Customer Service Hotline:
And finally, in the band's never-ending quest for creative promotion, they've started the "Hail to the Thief Customer Service Hotline," a toll-free number which allows you to hear material from the new album, intentionally leads you on a button-pushing goose-chase that ends up in nothing but frustration, and sternly warns you not to press 8. Fliers have been posted in various metropoli around the country, reading:

HUNGRY?
SICK?
BEGGING FOR A BREAK?

SWEET?
FRESH?

WOULD YOU DO ANYTHING?

WE SUCK YOUNG BLOOD
WE WANT SWEET MEATS

WE WANT YOUNG BLOOD

1-866-868-4433
Old 05-14-03, 10:36 AM

Actually I'm pretty sure the Beacon 6/6 date has been moved to 6/5.
And it is "invitation only".
Old 05-15-03, 12:31 PM
Banned

HOLY S**T!

MASTERED versions of some songs have been leaked. If you thought the unmastered versions were good, you haven't heard nothing yet!
Sit Down, Stand Up is SICK! (with Fog(Alligators in NY Sewers)-like rain effect at the beginning)
Myxamatosis and A Punch Up at A Wedding have improved a lot from the unmastered versions.
2+2=5 is just sublime.

I'm still looking forward to hear the mastered version of I will and Wolf at the Door, two of my favorites from the unmastered leak.
Old 05-15-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know what's going to be in the LE of this album?
amazon lists 2 versions, and the LE is like 2 bucks more.
Old 05-17-03, 11:05 AM

Word is that they're coming to Thunderbird Stadium in Vancouver on August 31st.
Old 05-20-03, 09:14 PM

Man oh man...a $2 Beacon Theatre show, the Field Day Festival, and a North American Tour in mid-June...Jonny loves Radiohead so much!

From billboard.com
The video for the new Radiohead single "There There" is being screened throughout the day today (May 20) on the Jumbotron video screen in New York's Times Square. In addition, the clip is being shown at the beginning of each hour all day on MTV2. "There There" is drawn from the album "Hail to the Thief," due June 10 from Capitol. The cut is No. 21 this week on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks airplay chart.

The network is also teaming with the band for other promotions, including a previously announced June 6 show at New York's Beacon Theatre that will be broadcast June 17 on MTV2. Tickets for the concert will be sold for $2 beginning May 31 at the venue box office only. In addition, "Hail to the Thief" will be streamed in its entirety on MTV.com beginning June 2.

Finally, MTV2 is planning live coverage from the Field Day Festival, to be held June 7-8 in Calverton, N.Y. As previously reported, Radiohead will headline the first day of the event as part of a lineup that also includes Underworld, Beck, and Spiritualized, among others.

Radiohead is in the midst of a short U.K. tour that hits Edinburgh tomorrow. A North American tour announcement is not expected until mid-June.
Old 06-01-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The video for there, there is awesome. Another Radiohead classic. I wish they would collect the band's videos on dvd.

Also, from NME.com.....

THOM YORKE has described HAIL TO THE THIEF' as 'OK COMPUTER 2' - but said that in two years time the band will be "completely unrecognisable".

The group have just finished a tour of UK clubs to promote their forthcoming album, which is due on June 9.

Speaking to Dutch magazine OOR, Thom said he's no idea what the future will hold for the band, but he expects their music to change dramatically.

"We're a pop band again for now, because it was necessary," he said. "Just doing what we're good at. But, no matter how good I feel about the new album and how much fun we're having in what we do right now, we've been there already. We're not moving.

"This is 'OK Computer 2'. What we will do from now on, should not be anything like we've done before. We will not go further back, like everyone expects. There won't be a second 'The Bends'. There is not a single good reason for it. As a band, we have fully discussed this matter recently. Radiohead will be completely unrecognisable in two years. At least, I hope so. It's the only perspective of the future that I can live with."

Radiohead fans will now have to wait until next month's headline appearance at the Glastonbury festival (June 28) until the band play live in the UK again.
Old 06-01-03, 07:38 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Zodo
Anyone know what's going to be in the LE of this album?
amazon lists 2 versions, and the LE is like 2 bucks more.
Thats what I want to know also...
Old 06-03-03, 01:12 PM
Banned

One week left!
Old 06-03-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bigbadpanda
Also, from NME.com.....

THOM YORKE has described HAIL TO THE THIEF' as 'OK COMPUTER 2' - but said that in two years time the band will be "completely unrecognisable".

The group have just finished a tour of UK clubs to promote their forthcoming album, which is due on June 9.

Speaking to Dutch magazine OOR, Thom said he's no idea what the future will hold for the band, but he expects their music to change dramatically.

"We're a pop band again for now, because it was necessary," he said. "Just doing what we're good at. But, no matter how good I feel about the new album and how much fun we're having in what we do right now, we've been there already. We're not moving.

"This is 'OK Computer 2'. What we will do from now on, should not be anything like we've done before. We will not go further back, like everyone expects. There won't be a second 'The Bends'. There is not a single good reason for it. As a band, we have fully discussed this matter recently. Radiohead will be completely unrecognisable in two years. At least, I hope so. It's the only perspective of the future that I can live with."
I'm looking forward to this disc as mush as the next guy but going back is no way to move forward... Glad to read it. Radiohead don't need to be a pop band, they have the ability to create real groundbreaking material (see Kid A and Amnesiac) that can push the boundries of the rock genre. Do the tour, promote the album and get on with creating art, not pop...
Old 06-04-03, 12:38 PM

So what's up with the Field Day Festival

NME.com is reporting that the organizers have to find an alternate site in three days time - is that even possible?

http://www.nme.com/news/105217.htm
Old 06-04-03, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by Giles
So what's up with the Field Day Festival

NME.com is reporting that the organizers have to find an alternate site in three days time - is that even possible?

http://www.nme.com/news/105217.htm
It's now a one day event this saturday at Giant's stadium.

You have to re-buy tickets, all previous are not good for the new event, you'll get refunded for that.

Obviously now it's only one day, that means a lot of the bands are/will be scratched.

I know it's Radiohead, Beasties, Beck, and Blur so far for Giant's show.

Tickets are onsale now at Ticketmaster and REALLY good seats too.
I wonder how well this is going to sell!? It's no longer a "camping event" obviously.
Old 06-05-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In case anyone is interested, the same day "Hail To The Thief" comes out, a CD with classical piano renditions by Christopher O'Riley of Radiohead songs is dropping the same day.

Here's a link for the track listings (at DeepDiscountCD)
http://www.deepdiscountcd.com/index....c=696998732124
Old 06-05-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Listened to the whole CD this morning, still not a huge fan. Guess I will have to give it a couple more spins.
Old 06-10-03, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

TODAY IS THE DAY!

Who's got it already? Ill be picking it up after work. Damn work.

BBP

Actually, lets move this to a new thread....

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=298062

Last edited by automator; 06-10-03 at 08:40 AM.