DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Disliked cover versions - alternative opinions [spinoff thread] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/273347-disliked-cover-versions-alternative-opinions-%5Bspinoff-thread%5D.html)

MJKTool 02-21-03 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Also I think it was Johnny Rezenck of the goo goo dolls and Fred Durst doing a very good cover of Pink Floyd's cover of "Wish you were here"
Very good cover? Are you serious? :eek:

das Monkey 02-21-03 03:40 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth MJKTool •<HR SIZE=1>Very good cover? Are you serious? :eek: <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely a contender for worse cover ever.

I too like the Pumpkins cover of 'Landslide', and on a related note find the Dixie Chicks' butchering of it to be a level of Hell beyond even Dante's comprehension.

das

SAShepherd 02-21-03 04:09 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
I too like the Pumpkins cover of 'Landslide', and on a related note find the Dixie Chicks' butchering of it to be a level of Hell beyond even Dante's comprehension.
I said it in the thread above, and I'll say it again -- I don't think the Dixie Chicks' version is all that different from the Pumpkins version. Yes, they're somewhat different. But not by much.

Rypro 525 02-21-03 10:22 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
Very good cover? Are you serious? :eek:
Just out of curiosity, have any of you heard it or is it because of the artist is the reason you hate it so much.

Bust 02-21-03 10:37 PM

Just out of curiosity, have any of you heard it or is it because of the artist is the reason you hate it so much.
Are you serious? I think everyone saw them perform it on the 9/11 fundraiser show.

Worst butchering of a song I love that I have ever heard.

Rypro 525 02-21-03 10:46 PM

I don't want to start any kind of fight or anything but isn't this an opinion thread?

Bust 02-21-03 11:21 PM

I don't want to start any kind of fight or anything but isn't this an opinion thread?
Exactly. And I bet the majority of opinions will say that that cover sucked. No one is saying you are wrong for liking it, just amazed that somebody actually did.

das Monkey 02-21-03 11:52 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Rypro 525 •<HR SIZE=1>Just out of curiosity, have any of you heard it or is it because of the artist is the reason you hate it so much. <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considering every television station in the free world broadcast it during one of the biggest television events in history, I'm pretty sure we're not speaking from ignorance. And of note, I enjoy music by both the Goo-Goo Dolls and Limp Bizkit, as I think many do, so I can't imagine blind hatred of the musicians is a motivating factor. You're certainly entitled to your opinion that you enjoyed it; I think the response wasn't meant to criticize you so much as express sincere shock that anyone really enjoyed it.

It's the kind of thing that's so universally despised that many would assume you were intentionally being sarcastic. It's akin to someone entering the DVD Talk Forum and posting, "I love those DVDs with the snapper cases that have converted a 2.35:1 film into a 4:3 ratio where you have to flip the disc over halfway through the film." It's the kind of shocking statement that begs the question: is this sarcasm or is he serious?

das

Rypro 525 02-22-03 12:09 AM

Sorry about that, I actually didn't see their performance on tv. But I heard this on the radio, and enjoyed it, but didn't know where to find a version of it, but since you mentioned the 9/11 show, I'm guessing its on the cd "America: a Tribute to Heros". Anyone know where I could find the stp version of "Revolution".

MJKTool 02-22-03 12:55 AM

Yes I did hear it, and it makes me sick that those bafoons trashed an amazing Pink Floyd song.

evenflow 02-22-03 01:09 AM

Yes I did hear it, and it makes me sick that those bafoons trashed an amazing Pink Floyd song.
:up:

My favorite cover is Radiohead's cover of Carly Simon's Nobody Does It Better.

benedict 02-22-03 05:22 AM

<small>

</small>This one is: the original just asked for favourite covers.

Anyways, we now have two separate spaces so you all have fun!

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk

MJKTool 02-22-03 12:06 PM

Wow, trippy!..... I dont remember starting this thread! :lol:

ike0000 02-23-03 11:51 AM

I haven't heard this one yet. Is this cover worse than the time Wyclef did it? I thought that was as bad as you could get.

lordzeppelin 02-23-03 09:23 PM

Sheryl Crow should be shot for butchering songs. bitch.

on a side note though, girlschool doing "please don't touch" with lemmy on the Motorhead anthology ROCKED.