Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

A Gibson Les Paul question....

Old 02-22-03, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

A Gibson Les Paul question....

Does anyone know where I can find out the differences between Standard, Custom, '57, '60, Studio, and other versions of the Les Paul guitar??

I've been to Gibson's site but I need a side by side comparison. I didn't find one there. Not that they don't have one....I just didn't find it.
Old 02-22-03, 12:21 PM

There is a link to a pdf document via
www.gibson.com >
Search >
Serial Numbers >
Scroll to end of page >
"Gibson Electric Guitar Descriptions from the Blue_Book_of_Guitars"

or just click this link

This is all I have been able to find on the internet. I was looking for some info a while ago myself. But, there are various books on this topic as well that provide more information then the link above. But it might help out a bit.

I just got myself a 1992 Dark Wine Les Paul Custom a few weeks ago. Sweet axe. Thing was in damn near mint condition. I hope the pdf helps you out!

modiman.

Last edited by modiman; 02-22-03 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-22-03, 02:22 PM
Banned

A good comparison: see which ones are made in America and disregard the rest.
Old 02-23-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012
A good comparison: see which ones are made in America and disregard the rest.
That would be pretty much any Gibson Les Paul... The foreign Les Paul clones are made under the Epiphone line.

Can't really tell you the specific differences, other than the pickups and hardware, but they're all pretty nice and way too pricey... Les Paul's are nice, but like most Gibson's, you're paying for the name... Personally, I'd suggest looking at other guitar makers - smaller names like Dean - or even Paul Reed Smith... Nicer, more versatile axes in the same price range. Not dissing the Les Paul's, just saying that for the money there are better solid body electric guitars.

If you're really set on a Les Paul, the best thing you can do is spend a lot of time with em' - all models - and find the one that has the best tones for you.

Side note - The Epiphone Les Paul Quilt Top is a pretty nice entry axe in the $400 range. Rip out the guts, beef it up, change the tuners and you're in business...
Old 02-23-03, 03:08 AM

I got my Custom for only a little over $1300. Yeah, it's still a lot of money. But, I've paid nearly more for some of my Fender Strats. Without a doubt one of the nicest axes I've ever played. And I'm a Fender guy too!!! But if you buy them new I will most definately agree with Johnny above. They are very over priced. His suggestions are deserving of some merit as well. Although PRS can get pricey too depending on the options you want. Beautiful guitars though!
Old 02-23-03, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks.

One of my dreams is to get a Les Paul and I want the best I can afford. That way I can pass it down. But some of the LP models aren't that great to me.
Old 02-23-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nigel: This o-- this one is just, uh . . . it's perfect . . . 1959 . . . uh . . . you know, it just, you can, uh . . . listen!

Marty: How much does this . . .

Nigel: Just listen for a minute . . .

Marty: I'm not . . .

Nigel: The sustain . . . listen to it . . .

Marty: I'm not hearing anything.

Nigel: You would, though, if it were playing, because it really . . . it's famous for its sustain . . . I mean, you can just hold it . . .

Marty: Well I mean so you don't . . .

Nigel: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa . . . You can go, go and have a bite an' . . . aaaaaaaaa . . . you'd still be hearin' that one.
Old 02-23-03, 11:32 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Giantrobo
One of my dreams is to get a Les Paul and I want the best I can afford. That way I can pass it down. But some of the LP models aren't that great to me.
Thats the thing. Once you have your heart set on a certain guitar, it really doesn't matter what everyone else says, its just what you want. I would suggest that you just have them bring you a bunch of different Les Pauls and play them until you find one that suits you.