Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dark Side Of The Moon SACD news / reviews etc

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Dark Side Of The Moon SACD news / reviews etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-03, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a hybrid disc, so when you put it in your DVD player, it will only play the 2-channel non-SACD track. But, the reviewer did say that even this track surpasses mobile fidelity's gold disc of DSOTM.
Old 03-21-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, SACD would just play as a regular cd if it's hybrid- if not, not at all. A DVD-A will play on any dvd player & should be in 5.1 & sometimes DTS. To get the actual SACD or DVD-A, you'd need that specific player.
Old 03-21-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What would be a difference between a dvda in a dvda player in 5.1 and a dvda in a regular dvd player and in 5.1?
Old 03-21-03, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Rypro PG-13
What would be a difference between a dvda in a dvda player in 5.1 and a dvda in a regular dvd player and in 5.1?
The DVD-Audio track (ultra high fidelity) would not play in a regular dvd player, but DVD-A discs often include a Dolby Digital or DTS track that will be playable on a regular DVD player.
DVD-Audio tracks follows a different format than DVD-Video (i.e. regular DVD players) which is why you won't be able to play the high-fidelity track.
Old 03-21-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The true DVD-A & SACD tracks only play through the players' 6 seperate audio-outs. You'll get junk or nothing from your fiberoptic or digital coaxial connection. So you need 6 seperate Monster/RCA-type cables to play them. They're supposed to be even higher bitrate/resolution than a regular DD or DTS 5.1 track, but honestly, I can't hear that much of a difference. Maybe if you have a $10,000 stereo system you'll hear a difference, but I can't on my pretty nice system. Since most receivers don't have 2 multi-inputs, you'd need to find one player that plays both or keep switching the cords. Since the DVD-As also have 5.1 or DTS that sound just as good, I decided to keep my SACD hooked up. Also, if you put a DVD-A into a DVD-A player, you won't be able to select the 5.1 or DTS tracks- only the DVD-A 5.1 & stereo. Because DVD-As also play great on regular dvd players, I'd get an SACD player if you have to choose. Although most of the good SACDs are NOT surround, just higher res stereo and ALL DVD-As are surround. Who puts out The Police & Peter Gabriels catalogs on SACD, but only in stereo? Only Police' Greatest Hits & Gabriels' Up are surround!? Does this mean that the rest of Pink Floyd's SACDs won't be surround? That would truly suck!
Old 03-21-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My preference is for better sound instead of surround sound, so I'm leaning toward getting an SACD player.
Old 03-21-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Surround isn't all it's cracked up to be. My stereo SACDs sound incredible.

das
Old 03-22-03, 02:23 PM

Sounds like the surround of this album may convert a few.

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...umber=19939611
Old 03-22-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now that's what I like to hear!

das
Old 03-24-03, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by RichardW
My preference is for better sound instead of surround sound, so I'm leaning toward getting an SACD player.
Can you pay DVD-a discs on SACD player? and vice-versa?
Old 03-24-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth JAMMER57 •<HR SIZE=1>Can you pay DVD-a discs on SACD player? and vice-versa? <HR SIZE=1>

No (unless it's a dual player).

das
Old 03-24-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can play the DD5.1 or DTS track from a DVD-A on an SACD player, just because they'll play on any dvd player, but you can't play the actual DVD-A track. SACDs will only play on an SACD player- unless it's a CD hybrid.
Old 03-24-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by El Kabong
The true DVD-A & SACD tracks only play through the players' 6 seperate audio-outs. You'll get junk or nothing from your fiberoptic or digital coaxial connection. So you need 6 seperate Monster/RCA-type cables to play them. They're supposed to be even higher bitrate/resolution than a regular DD or DTS 5.1 track, but honestly, I can't hear that much of a difference. Maybe if you have a $10,000 stereo system you'll hear a difference, but I can't on my pretty nice system. Since most receivers don't have 2 multi-inputs, you'd need to find one player that plays both or keep switching the cords. Since the DVD-As also have 5.1 or DTS that sound just as good, I decided to keep my SACD hooked up. Also, if you put a DVD-A into a DVD-A player, you won't be able to select the 5.1 or DTS tracks- only the DVD-A 5.1 & stereo. Because DVD-As also play great on regular dvd players, I'd get an SACD player if you have to choose. Although most of the good SACDs are NOT surround, just higher res stereo and ALL DVD-As are surround. Who puts out The Police & Peter Gabriels catalogs on SACD, but only in stereo? Only Police' Greatest Hits & Gabriels' Up are surround!? Does this mean that the rest of Pink Floyd's SACDs won't be surround? That would truly suck!

So are you saying that I need to use the 6.1 outputs on my dvd-a/sacd player to get the full effect? I only have 2 DVD-a discs, but I can play all the tracks through my coaxial output. THey sound fantastic as well, or by junk did you mean in comparison to what they have the potential to sound like using the regular outputs? I have enough cables, if it really makes a difference, I should switch hehe.

BTW I can't wait for tomorrow!

edit: ok I forgot, my Receiver is a 6.1 receiver, but my dvd player only has 5.1 outputs, no rear channel. Can I have both the optical/coax and the separates connected to my receiver at the same time?
Old 03-26-03, 12:30 AM

Ergyu, you can get the dolby digital or dts tracks to play through the digital outputs of the player, but as of yet you can only get the truly high-resolution tracks by using the analog outputs because the record companies are afraid of digital piracy. The sound should be substantially better on the uncompressed tracks coming from the analog outputs.
Old 03-27-03, 11:37 AM
colossus

Anybody care to guess how long it'll be before somebody makes a program to rip SACD into DVDA or vice-versa?
Old 03-29-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't have an SACD player, but picked this up anyway for the hybrid disc (I'd read good reviews of the cd track). (and b/c I don't have the MFSL version of DSotM)

This disc sounds amazing. I look forward to finally hearing the SACD track when I finally get player for them.

Even if you don't have an SACD deck, it's worth the purchase. The mastering is MUCH improved over the original cd. (I've never had the 20th anniversary remaster)
Old 04-04-03, 05:52 PM

my copy is still not here.
Anyone got scans of the packaging??
Old 04-29-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Possible Dark Side of the Moon SACD defects

Didn't see this posted. Threads all over as well as a story on High Fidelity Review.

It seems that many discs are becoming cracked starting from the center on out. I've played my copy about 3 times and have one crack already started.

HTF Thread

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=18441196

Better check your copies.
Old 04-30-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

really interesting there... i seem to have cracks on mine as well. keep this thread updated, will you?
Old 04-30-03, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, crap ... mine's cracked too. Marked as Crest National.

das
Old 04-30-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the heads up.
I'll have to check my disc when I get home.
Old 04-30-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got the version made in Japan. So far there's no signs of cracks. I ordered it release week from Bestbuy.com.
Old 05-02-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
The plant that made these discs has issued a statement and claims that testing has shown that the cracks are cosmetic and will not affect the playability of the disc.

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=18730931

I hope this is true.
Old 05-02-03, 09:31 PM

I have cracks on mine as well, three sharp ones on the plastic center of the disc, but not on the disc itself. Hope it stays that way.
Old 05-03-03, 08:47 AM

Mine is fine.Maybe it was pressed in Canada?? I ordered it from HMV

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.