Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concerts are coming up?

Old 02-20-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What concerts are coming up?

Thread title asks the questions.

For me:

1. Godspeed You! Black Emperor w/ Black Dice - March 4 - 9:30 Club, DC
2. Sigur Ros w/ The Album Leaf - March 19 - 9:30 Club, DC
3. Q and Not U w/ Black Eyes - March 29 (??) - Underground, MWC, Fredericksburg, VA
4. Macrock - sometime in April - JMU, Harrisonburg, VA
5. Les Savy Fav w/ The Faint and Schneider TM - May 8 - Black Cat, DC

I'm excited for every single one of these shows. Q and Not U was supposd to happen last Sunday (16th) but it was postponed. I'll be interviewing them on that tentative date, as well.

But Les Savy Fav is going to be the best: day after finals and day before my 20th birthday. Hopefully it will turn into an end-of-the-school-year/birthday blow out. And, for those that don't know, Les Savy Fav has the best live show...ever.
Old 02-20-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nothing I'm looking incredibly forward to, but here's what's on my list:

3/1 Matt Pond PA, White Star Line, and Picastro (Montreal)
3/11 Boyracer and Kanda (U of Vermont)
3/11 Crooked Fingers (Burlington, and I have to decide between this and the other 3/11 show)
3/29 Bettie Serveert (Boston, but I probably won't make it)
4/4 Ted Leo (Montreal)
5/3 Bright Eyes and Arab Strap (Burlington)
Old 02-20-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

2/26 Atmosphere... Woot only week away, I am so excited. Staying up there the night in a shitty hotel and going to mall of America the next day. I am having a Mini-Vacation!
Old 02-20-03, 11:22 PM

All in Chicago:
2/22: Ted Leo @ Empty Bottle
4/8: Les Savy Fav (also my birthday) @ Empty Bottle
4/something: Notwist @ Metro
Old 02-21-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For me,

March 16 - Elton John/Billy Joel (don't care for Billy Joel all that much but I've liked Elton's music since I was a kid in the 70's)

April 15th - Pearl Jam (my favorite band!)

June 5th - Red Hot Chili Peppers/Snoop Dogg (snagged 7th row center seats!)

I would like to see Queens of the Stone Age March 23rd but I will be in Las Vegas

Hayseed Dixie plays tonight so a group of my friends are thinking about going just for the fun of it. For those who don't know who they are - they are a hillbilly band who play bluegrass versions of AC/DC songs....unique to say the least
Old 02-21-03, 07:53 AM
Banned

For me:

Mon. 2-24, Phish, East Ruthurford NJ
Fri. 2-28, Phish, Long Island NY
Old 02-21-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tonight: [email protected] Newport Music Hall
March 9th: Coldplay- @ PromoWest Pavillion
March 15th: Goatwhore- @ High Five
March 22nd: Dave Brubeck is playing in Cleveland but I don't know if I can make it. Also on the 22nd is
Hatebreed, Agnostic Front, Murphy's Law, The Unseen, Disciple @ Newport Music Hall. Decisions decisions...

My sister's husband wants to see Metallica this summer at the Ohio Stadium so I may have to be dragged through that one too-though I'll still enjoy seeing the Deftones... Now had it been Metallica 15 years ago then I'd be all over that shiz.
Old 02-21-03, 01:25 PM

Phish 2/25 Philadelphia PA
Zwan 3/28 NYC
Zwan 4/5 Philadelphia PA
Old 02-21-03, 04:54 PM

Interpol 2/26 House of Blues in N.O. (Must skip school next day)
Queens of the Stone Age 3/13 Same locale
Old 02-21-03, 07:47 PM

4/8 elton john and billy joel at the bradley center in milwaukee
Old 02-21-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So far just Ozzfest (gotta see my boys Unloco perform!) and Lalapolooza mainly just for Jane's Addiction but Audioslave and Jurassic 5 are a nice bonus.

I'll probably also go see Norah Jones with my wife and would really like to see BB King but I'm kinda strapped for cash. Same goes for the RHCP/Snoop show... would love to go but I got to prioritize my concerts this year.
Old 02-22-03, 12:41 PM

Indigenous - 3/29 - Bowler, WI (Northern)
Making the 5 hour hike myself. Rockin blues, you gotta check'em out! www.indigenousrocks.com

Last edited by modiman; 02-22-03 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-23-03, 10:14 PM

GOATWHORE @ The High Five on March 15

Im looking forward to a night with America's most brutal Black Metal band !
Old 02-24-03, 12:17 AM

.... erasure.... .... 9:30 Club March 2nd

If I have the time and money Supergrass/The Coral, The Vines/The Music, Soundtrack of Our Lives (all 9:30), Sahara Hotnights/Ikara Colt (Black Cat) Would like to see Idlewild but it's at Fletchers up in Baltimore a venue I absolutely hate and try to avoid at all costs.

Last edited by Giles; 02-24-03 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-24-03, 01:35 PM

The one I'm looking forward to the most this year is Lolapalooza, I can't wait to see Jane's Addiction and Audioslave live that should be awesome..
Old 02-24-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Donnas - 3/3 - Webster Hall
Audioslave - 3/6 - Hammerstein Ballroom
QOTSA - 3/28 - Birch Hill Night Club
Old 02-24-03, 04:15 PM

03/03/03 Sahara Hotnights/Ikara Colt/ The Washdown Alley Katz (Richmond, VA)
03/18/03 Sigur Ros/The Album Leaf (9:30 Club)
03/23/03 Ted Leo Pharmacists Alley Katz (Richmond, VA)
03/24/03 Queens Of The Stone Age (The NorVA : Norfolk, VA)
04/05/03 Ben Folds Robins Center @ Univ. Of Richmond
04/15/03 Pearl Jam/Sleater Kinney (Charlotte, NC)
04/17/03 The Music/The Vines (The NorVA : Norfolk, VA)
Old 02-25-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Add on to mine:

Cat Power - 3/22 - 9:30 Club, DC.

I would love to see Ted Leo in Richmond, but don't have the money or time to make both concerts.
Old 02-25-03, 11:29 AM

hey fallow, have you heard the new album from Cat Power? Only heard "Moon Pix" and unfortunatley thought it was one of the most cringe inducing albums I have EVER listened to. We played this at Olssons' and a colleague and I agreed the chick can't sing, or carry a tune, or can't even find the money to take up singing lessons.
Old 02-25-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Giles: Ikara Colt's a great show. I bet you'll dig it. Lots of energy... like seeing Sonic Youth in 87 or 88.
Old 02-25-03, 02:28 PM

Cat Power

Cat Power - 3/22 - 9:30 Club, DC
I'm not trying to thread crap. Have you seen her live before? I saw her last year and it was incredibly disappointing. I am a fan of her music but she never finished a song. She has a history of stage fright. Perhaps I saw her on an off night. Not sure who Ted Leo is but I would suggest you see him instead.

I'd like to see The White Stripes again in April.
Old 02-25-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Cat Power

Originally posted by 37 In A Row
I'm not trying to thread crap. Have you seen her live before? I saw her last year and it was incredibly disappointing. I am a fan of her music but she never finished a song. She has a history of stage fright. Perhaps I saw her on an off night. Not sure who Ted Leo is but I would suggest you see him instead.

I'd like to see The White Stripes again in April.
No, I've never seen her play live, but I'd like to see for myself how much I like her, you know? I'm not trying to undermine your opinion, but I've enjoyed most everything that I've heard by her and want to experience the live atmosphere as well. Maybe I'll come back saying it was a travesty...I don't know. I'd just be really disappointed if my friend's came back saying it was incredible.

If I was on the fence between Ted Leo and Cat Power, I may lean toward Ted Leo. However, even though I like the stuff I've heard by Ted Leo, Cat Power has a more solid background with me.

hey fallow, have you heard the new album from Cat Power? Only heard "Moon Pix" and unfortunatley thought it was one of the most cringe inducing albums I have EVER listened to. We played this at Olssons' and a colleague and I agreed the chick can't sing, or carry a tune, or can't even find the money to take up singing lessons.
I have heard the latest Cat Power and I love it. I haven't heard all of Moon Pix, but "Metal Heart" has played continuously, along with "Nude As the News," "He War," and "Don't Blame You." It seems like people are split on her voice: I like it and other people hate it. Personal preference, I suppose.
Old 02-26-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Belinda Carlisle on March 13th!!!!

Hope you can catch her playing near you.
Old 02-27-03, 02:02 PM

I'm not trying to undermine your opinion, but I've enjoyed most everything that I've heard by her and want to experience the live atmosphere as well.
Fair enough. I'm not trying to be a negative Nellie but you have been warned. Here is the review of the show I went to by a local publication:

Chan Marshall ambled onstage, took a sip of whisky and said hello to the crowd in her trademark girly-gruff voice.

Too many bodies were packed into the Casbah last time she stopped in San Diego, the smoking patio eerily deserted as everyone at the sold-out show strained to get a glimpse of the elusive woman behind Cat Power.

A single spotlight illuminated a simple wooden chair. Marshall looked nervous as she sat down and picked up her acoustic guitar, self-conscious of the many eyes fixed on her.

“Hello, I’m Chan Marshall,” she murmured into the microphone, her Southern-girl drawl detectable, but just barely.

A smattering of polite applause.

“We love you, Chan!” shouted a couple of well-wishers.

With long pianist fingers, Chan (pronounced “Shawn”) began to strum her guitar softly, like she was playing in a room where someone was trying to sleep. She sang a measure or two and then stopped.

“I’m sorry, you guys, I haven’t played that one in a while.”

She started up again, strumming a little more confidently this time, singing a few measures in a clearer voice. And then she stopped again. And apologized.

“It’s OK, Chan!” someone called out.

And it was, really. The first couple of times my heart went out to her. But then she kept doing it.

I wanted to give a time-out signal and form a huddle with Ms. Marshall. Chan, you’ve nothing to be sorry for, I would plead.

And if my girl still didn’t look convinced, I’d have to bust out with the big guns. People have been standing here for hours just to hear you sing.

The point of a pep talk is to restore your team’s spirit, and I was ready to lead Team Chan to glory at any cost. Two-four-six-eight, I know she’ll get this song straight! Goooooo, Chan!

Instead, like everyone else, I listened patiently as she stammered through, until my legs and back began to ache. I went outside to smoke a cigarette and didn’t go back in.

Some cheerleader I’d make.

In interviews, Marshall rejects the melancholy rap often thrown her way, describing her songs as cathartic, not depressing. Marshall’s folksy, blues-tinged tunes are exactly that—the kind of music you want to hear after a long, shitty day—sleepy, afternoon porch songs that lull life’s grime right out of your pores.

Marshall performs with confidence in the studio, working every note and fragile crack of her voice with utter precision. Her lyrics and arrangements are simple, but her vocals are gorgeous—one second clear and sweet like heated honey, gritty the next, seamlessly, beautifully.

Will any of this come to life on stage when Cat Power rolls into town? With Chan Marshall, it’s impossible to say. She is widely known for her unpredictable stage behavior, but despite the crying fits and anxiety-induced early endings, nobody’s ever asked for their money back.

There’s just something about her, especially when she fumbles and apologizes too profusely. Her voice is cathartic, even if that catharsis sometimes comes outside on the smoking patio. Too unbearable to watch, yet wanting to stay close.
Old 02-27-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ween and Foo Fighters are touring.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.