DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   tomorrow's cds (2/21) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/273003-tomorrows-cds-2-21-a.html)

stevevt 02-20-03 06:48 PM

tomorrow's cds (2/21)

Cat Power - "You Are Free"
Rainer Maria - "Long Knives Drawn"
Bettie Serveert - "Log 22"
Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - "Hearts of Oak"
Reputation - ST
Bacino, Mark - "The Million Dollar Milkshake"
Bacino, Mark - "Pop Job... The Long Player!"
Codeine - "Frigid Stars LP"

The first five are all (at least fairly) new releases.

Other new and future releases (and re-releases) I'll have to get soon:

Ailers Set
Damien Jurado
Low (B-Sides and rareties)
Yo La Tengo
Notwist
28th Day

Nice to have a lot of new music to listen to, but I'm feeling a bit swamped. Also running out of room. Time to buy a new cd rack and figure out where to put it, I guess.

fallow 02-20-03 07:09 PM

I really love the Cat Power and Ted Leo albums. Listened to them during my radio show the other day and I'm highly impressed with both...definitely on a soon-to-buy list.

I've also been looking for the Notwist album, but haven't found it anywhere. I understand that you can only get it as an import? I'll keep looking, and make sure to post how much you like it.

I've been in an IDM mood all day so I've just been listening to mp3s of The Postal Service, Dntel, Schneider TM, and Mum. I also changed the pace a little bit as I studied and listened to My Bloody Valentine.

stevevt 02-20-03 07:15 PM

Originally posted by fallow
I've also been looking for the Notwist album, but haven't found it anywhere. I understand that you can only get it as an import? I'll keep looking, and make sure to post how much you like it.

Since I've held off this long, I'm waiting for it to be released here.

You can order it at Parasol now, and they'll ship it 2/25. Under $10, too. :)

Now, if only I could find somewhere besides here for the 28th Day cd. Anyone know where it'll be found cheaper? Or the release date?

mike1978 02-20-03 10:18 PM

Originally posted by stevevt

You can order it at Parasol now, and they'll ship it 2/25. Under $10, too. :)

Thanks for the tip, Steve. I just placed what turns out to be my first Parasol order, even though I used to shop there frequently during college.

I just got a new job today so I'll be ordering plenty of new music in the coming weeks. :)

Recent Spins:
Ted Leo - "Hearts of Oak"
Calexico - "Feast of Wire"
Gang of Four - "Peel Sessions"
Hot Snakes - "Suicide Invoice"

Yancey 02-21-03 09:57 AM

Today:

Giddy Motors -- Make It Pop
Pitchfork -- Eucalyptus + Saturn Outhouse (get this Mike, if you haven't already. Rick & John's (Jehu, Hot Snakes) first band)
Xiu Xiu -- A Promise
Rocket From the Tombs -- The Day the Earth Met
VA -- Wanna Buy a Craprak?
Ted Leo -- Hearts of Oak (his first good record since Chisel split)
Swans -- Filth
Angels of Light -- Everything Is Good Here/Please Come Home (tied with the Blood Brothers in the early album of the year race)

Cornfed 02-21-03 02:55 PM

I thought the Rainer Maria CD was already out...
They had it on their merch table at a show a couple weeks ago.

I'll be getting Cat Power.

I've been going crazy waiting for that Damien Jurado album! And it looks like they've bumped it up two weeks!

Alyoshka 02-21-03 03:45 PM

Brenden Benson - Lapalco
Mikal Evans - Live

stevevt 02-21-03 05:21 PM

Mike,

Congrats on the new job.

Originally posted by Cornfed
I thought the Rainer Maria CD was already out...
They had it on their merch table at a show a couple weeks ago.

It is out. That's why I listened to it today (aka tomorrow when today was yesterday).

Cornfed 02-22-03 12:05 AM

Mike,

Congrats on the new job.

It is out. That's why I listened to it today (aka tomorrow when today was yesterday).

I see now; I misunderstood what this thread was about. How is the Rainer Maria CD by the way? They were pretty decent live; although they were outclassed by Mates of State. They weren't quite as nice as Mates of State either....

I finally decided to take a listen to Norah Jones. I hadn't heard a second of it before.

Earlier today:
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
Zwan
Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline

stevevt 02-22-03 07:43 AM

Originally posted by Cornfed
I see now; I misunderstood what this thread was about. How is the Rainer Maria CD by the way? They were pretty decent live; although they were outclassed by Mates of State. They weren't quite as nice as Mates of State either....

I'm liking the new RM so far, but I've only listened to it once. I've seen them live twice, and Mates of State live once.

I haven't talked to too many bands before shows, but it's a weird coincidence that I've talked to both RM and MoS. MoS are definitely super nice, but that was my experience with Caithlin from RM as well. I bought a cd from her at the merch table and didn't recognize her. She asked me about my Wisconsin sweatshirt -- she's originally from there. Then I asked about the chronology of the cds she was selling. She had really complete -- almost insider-like -- info on all of them. Then she mentioned who she was, but not at all in a hey-look-at-me way.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

You have to love RM's live show energy. Haven't really thought about comparing them as live acts, since they're so different. Album-wise, I'm more in MoS.

remjim 02-22-03 08:36 AM

So what is the verdict on the new Cat Power? So far I've only seen two responses. I'm really curious, an exgf used to play her all the time and CP eventually grew on me.

Current Playlist:
RjD2 - Deadringer
White Stripes - Elephant
I'm Your Fan (Leonard Cohen tribute album with REM, Pixies, James etc.)
Nick Cave - Nocturama

Cornfed 02-22-03 05:12 PM

Originally posted by remjim
So what is the verdict on the new Cat Power? So far I've only seen two responses. I'm really curious, an exgf used to play her all the time and CP eventually grew on me.

You can listen to the Cat Power album streamed:

http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/j...e_free_ref.mov

Hope that works..

I think I'll make a special trip out to Best Buy or Borders tonight to get it.. You should too.

Cornfed 02-22-03 05:20 PM

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Oh, I don't doubt your story at all. She worked the RM merch table at the show I went to. Both bands are very approachable. As a live act, RM is much more into crowd participation than MoS. I meant to say that Mates of State had a MUCH more polished live set.

Matt 02-22-03 05:55 PM

My verdict on Cat Power:

I like it. :)

tofu 02-22-03 06:25 PM

Jurassic 5 - Power by the Numbers
Massive Attack - 100th Window