Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Johnny Cash covering NIN's "Hurt"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What an amazing capper to a career (which is hopefully not over yet...)

This is a large Quicktime file which is very much worth your bandwidth.

http://markromanek.com/video/14.html
Old 02-19-03, 01:37 PM

Yeah, the song is good, but the video is amazing. Really powerful imagery.
Old 02-19-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

wow. i didn't think anybody could really cover that song well . . but that was good.
Old 02-19-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it is on his American IV: The Man Comes Around album. not the video though. good song though. he's been covering a lot of recent hits on his past two cds. on American III, he covered U2's "One". he also covered other songs ("Bridge Over Troubled Water" is the only one i can think of offhand) on these albums.
-di doctor-
Old 02-19-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
wow, that was awesome. Not a Johnny Cash fan, but that is my favorite NIN song.
Old 02-19-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DrRingDing not the video though.
Actually coming 03/03/03 they are rereleasing American IV: The Man Comes Around CD with a Bonus DVD containing the music video for "Hurt".

I must add that he also does a great remake of Soundgarden's Rusty Cage on Unchained CD which features Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
Old 02-19-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
American III and IV are all cover songs. He also does a great job on Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus" and Nick Cave's "Mercy Seat".
Old 02-19-03, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by bigjim25
Actually coming 03/03/03 they are rereleasing American IV: The Man Comes Around CD with a Bonus DVD containing the music video for "Hurt".
[undirected sarcasm]
OF COURSE THEY ARE! why would they release it like that to begin with?! why not rerelease it only a few months after it was originally released w/ extra stuff? it doesn't piss of consumers... NO! of course it doesn't... grrr... frickin' record labels should make up their frickin' minds, mutha frickers.
[/undirected sarcasm]
-di doctor-
Old 02-19-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bigjim25
That's a purchase!
Old 02-19-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
American III and IV are all cover songs. He also does a great job on Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus" and Nick Cave's "Mercy Seat".
American III has four originals, as does American IV. He really does bring something to "Personal Jesus" to make it his own, though.

So, is the new version only going to contain the "Hurt" video? If so, that really doesn't warrant a repurchase. About the only thing that would to me is if it contained a whole live show (like the Dashboard Confessional unplugged disc).

Last edited by DJLinus; 02-19-03 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-20-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Big Johnny Cash fan and a big NIN fan. The video and song put a chill down my spine. I voted for it on the CMT network website.

I saw Social Distortion in concert back in the 90's and Mike Ness introduced "Ring of Fire" as coming from the original punk rocker - Johnny Cash.
Old 02-20-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DrRingDing
[undirected sarcasm]
OF COURSE THEY ARE! why would they release it like that to begin with?! why not rerelease it only a few months after it was originally released w/ extra stuff? it doesn't piss of consumers... NO! of course it doesn't... grrr... frickin' record labels should make up their frickin' minds, mutha frickers.
[/undirected sarcasm]
-di doctor-
Well, it just might be that the "Hurt" video wasn't completed before the release of the album.

Could be.
Old 02-20-03, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by grunter
Well, it just might be that the "Hurt" video wasn't completed before the release of the album.

Could be.
Beat me to it.

Glad I didn't buy this disc when it came out. I've had it in my hands a few times and put it down. Guess I'll be purchasing sometime in early March.
Old 02-20-03, 12:02 PM

If they put out a DVD single of it, then that would be pretty cool. They did that with the Strokes CD when they rereleased it with the bonus DVD, and then went on to sell the DVD separately...but, on the other hand, the Strokes and Johnny Cash are two different worlds. I'll hold off on repurchasing the CD and hope that they decide to do something like this.
Old 02-20-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just purchased this through BMG, but will buy the rerelease with the video with a smile on my face. I also highly recommend the Cash reissues. Many of them are available through bmg.
Old 02-20-03, 11:04 PM

Im a huge Cash fan ! I have everything from the earliest of the Sun Recordings to the Cash Christmas albums.
I however am not a big fan of the "Cash Covers 90's Songs like NIN or Soundgarden"
.I do think he does a fine job but it almost seems forced,like these songs were given to him by somebody who says here do this it'll be cool with the kids.
Old 02-24-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just saw the video and I found it extremely powerful. I love Johnny Cash from his earliest recordings through to his recent ones and this piece is a tremendously powerful tribute to the man and also to the aging process. It's very brave of him to allow himself to appear as frail as he does. With America's youth obsession it really hit me hard to see this idol in his condition. All I can say is 'wow.'
Old 02-24-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

18 years old and been a Cash fan since my grandpa got me into him at age 10 when the family took fishing trips at our lake house.

Deep stuff a lot of his songs are, and he is one of the greastest musicians of all time.

The video and song bring so much emotion.
Old 02-24-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love that NIN song...I gotta find this Johnny Cash version
Old 02-24-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Found it....its cool
Old 02-24-03, 08:31 PM
Banned

I simply hate this cover. I guess it might be because I am a huge fan of the original, and this cover, to me, just seems awful. Am I the only one who hates this cover?
Old 02-25-03, 09:23 AM

I heard this song on the radio last night and I wasn't too impressed. Johnny Cash is great, but it really didn't feel like he was trying very hard on this song. Maybe on the next listen I will enjoy it more, it is one of the better NIN songs IMO.
Old 02-25-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by joshd2012
I simply hate this cover. I guess it might be because I am a huge fan of the original, and this cover, to me, just seems awful. Am I the only one who hates this cover?
I've seen a couple of other posts around from people who hate Cash's version. It helps to have an interest in Cash. He's an immensely powerful singer and songwriter, not to mention personality with a complex history full of highs and real heavy lows. This song and video show him in a far more frail condition than folks are used to seeing him. Decades of drug-abuse and illness have taken their toll on his body and voice. This song and video embody all that for those who care.
Old 02-25-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wow, that was amazing

almost like he is reading his last will and testament or something very morbid like that.
Old 02-25-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The cover is better than the original--because Cash has probably lived the song even more than Reznor.

If someone can't hear it, too bad for them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.