DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   New metal super-group w/ members of Maiden, Anthrax, Megadeth, and... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/271400-new-metal-super-group-w-members-maiden-anthrax-megadeth.html)

slop101 02-14-03 03:11 PM

New metal super-group w/ members of Maiden, Anthrax, Megadeth, and...

Heh...

From KNAC.com:

"You may have heard RJ Stone and AJ Motts on Dysfuncshyn Juncshyn here on KNAC.COM, Saturdays, from 7PM - 12AM (PST) teasing you about the newly-formed project consisting of drummer Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden), guitarist Dan Spitz (ex-Anthrax) and bassist David Ellefson (ex-Megadeth)...

The band announces their name as "7 X 70" (Seven Times Seventy). RJ Stone describes it as "really hard and really heavy." And 7 X 70 proudly announces their lead vocalist.... (drum roll, please!): Vanilla Ice!
Yes, you read this right! More info and details to come in the very near future!"

We all need more Christian rap-metal.

"God God baby too cold... too cold"

cdollaz 02-14-03 03:48 PM

I wonder if they will be as good as Great White Lion Snake.

Aghama 02-14-03 04:12 PM

Well, Ellefson has been playing with Vanilla Ice for some time now.

WhattheFFF 02-14-03 07:06 PM

sounds interesting to me, I'll deffiently check it out

Josh-da-man 02-14-03 08:19 PM

This makes me want to weep.

Giantrobo 02-14-03 10:31 PM

I'll wait and listen before I make up my mind that they suck only because they may be Christians :rolleyes:

slymer 02-15-03 01:44 AM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I'll wait and listen before I make up my mind that they suck only because they may be Christians :rolleyes:
Yeah, I can't wait to hear a bunch of songs about Jesus! Sweet!! That's what Rock N' Roll is all about!

Giantrobo 02-16-03 06:50 AM

Originally posted by slymer
Yeah, I can't wait to hear a bunch of songs about Jesus! Sweet!! That's what Rock N' Roll is all about!
Whatever man...

maybe you should be more open to other forms of music...or at least not put them down because you THINK you're so cool.

Lateralus 02-16-03 08:29 AM

:confused: so where exactly does this say that they are a Christian group? :confused:

Jason 02-16-03 08:36 AM

Originally posted by Lateralus
:confused: so where exactly does this say that they are a Christian group? :confused:
Well, Vanilla Ice is so pious and chaste, he wouldn't be in anything but a christian rap metal band, would he?

Mazinger 02-17-03 01:12 AM

Originally posted by Lateralus
I guess I missed that too.

Degreaser 02-17-03 07:29 AM

As a pro musician, I HATE all 'labels'...my band (NO SELF PROMOTION) has been labeled 'Grunge'...but it isn't....people feel a need to categorize music and as for "Christian" bands....my take is I listen to the music. I gotta be honest..I can neither sit and listen to lyrics praising Jesus for an hour just as I can't take an hour of tunes like "Supper With Satan" and "Hail The Devil"...it isn't a religious thing with me, it just is..pointless.
I've had the privilage of opening for Alice Cooper, and I grew up and love his music. He is VERY Christian, and his albums are VERY steeped in cautionary Christian veils of late...but NONE of it is shoved down the listener's throat....heck, I had to figure this out!

Alice is a "Christian" musician..make no mistakes about that, but the lyrics are not shoved at you...fans of the 'Old' Alice and 'New' can dig it all.

I will check out this new band, as I will give any new band a listen, and decide if I like the MUSIC before I apply any labels.

My ONE take on being in a "Christian" band is this....one CAN be a Christian, and spread positive lyrics without mentioning Jesus.
On the band's free time, give some of the cash to the church or a good charity..helping others defines "Christian" more than singing about Jesus.

There may be a good point in more positive lyrics hitting our next generation...and that isn't "Christian"...just a kind of common sense.

But...Vanilla Ice???

slop101 02-17-03 09:18 AM

The name of the band (7 x 70) is a direct reference to a quote from Jesus. And I know that most of the band are Christians (not so sure about Vanilla, though). But I don't think they'll make their music too "obviously" Christian - Just as their title is only obvious to Christians.

cdollaz 02-17-03 09:49 AM

The KNAC website has now said this is a hoax.

slop101 02-17-03 10:30 AM

Oh well...

It was good for a laugh, anyways.

Capo2002 02-17-03 01:27 PM

I guess supergroups are the "IN" thing now, although this looks like an interesting combination of musicians.