Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

They Might Be Giants/Direct From Brooklyn DVD!

Old 02-14-03, 03:24 PM

They Might Be Giants/Direct From Brooklyn DVD!

DVD Description

Direct From Brooklyn They Might Be Giants 14 They Might Be Giants videos: All their breakthrough and award-winning clips now on one DVD. Includes Bonus never before seen live video of “Why Does The Sun Shine? (The Sun Is A Mass Of Incandescent Gas)”, commentary by John Flansburgh and John Linnell in their own words, a trailer for the documentary “Gigantic (A Tale of Two Johns)”, clips from the Tiny Toon cartoon series and bonus QuickTime home movies. Also contains the audio tracks “McGyver” & “Your Mom’s Alright” from the Japanese release Mink Car and the promo radio remix “Man, It’s So Loud In Here (Hot 2002 Mix)”.

DVD Information

Title: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS-FROM BROOKLYN
Actor/Actress: They Might Be Giants
Director:
Year: 0
Rating: NR
Language: English
Color: Yes
Closed Captioned: N
Item Number: RYK029942D
Special Features

Region 1
Keep Case
Full Frame
Additional Release Material:
Additional Footage - 1. Clips from
TINY TOONS
Audio Commentary - 1. John Flansburgh
and John Linnell
Trailers
Interactive Features:
Scene Access
Interactive Menus
DVD-ROM Features:
QuickTime Home Movies A 02/05/2003

Oh yeah....
Old 02-14-03, 03:26 PM

Street date is 2/18/03, I believe.
Old 02-14-03, 04:05 PM

Just checked out Amazon -- $11.21 ($14.95 retail). May have to pick this up. Thanks for the heads up!

(Now if they'd released Gigantic along with this, that would have been even more wonderful.)
Old 02-14-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Awesome! I'll be getting rid of my VHS copy...

Thanks for posting this.
Old 02-19-03, 06:23 PM

HOLY JEWELED JALOPY JOHNS!!!!

Wow, I'm in 7th heaven watching this. Commentary on all videos by the Johns and it sounds phenomenal to boot!!!!!!!!!

Gigantic trailer really gets you salivating too.
giganticfilm.com
Old 02-19-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's $9.99 at DDD (w/ free shipping), so I'll probably pick this one up there.

On a side note, DDD has really sped up their free shipping. I ordered Robyn Hitchcock's "Storefront Hitchcock" (for less than $7!) from there on Sunday and it arrived today - and Monday was a postal holiday. I remember having to wait weeks after they shipped out my orders. Damn!
Old 02-20-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are the videos interesting, or are they just run-of-the-mill band performing the song videos.
Old 02-20-03, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by DJLinus
It's $9.99 at DDD (w/ free shipping), so I'll probably pick this one up there.
Just a heads up -- the order I placed for this (and this only) Monday morning is backordered and hasn't shipped yet. The estimated ship date is "2/18," so who knows when it'll actually ship. You may want to go elsewhere if time is of the essence for you on this.
Old 02-20-03, 12:57 PM

Are the videos interesting, or are they just run-of-the-mill band performing the song videos.
No they're all very interesting. Those (very few) that are borderline suceed in the commentary tracks.

It's just a flat-out MUST for even a casual fan.

John & John are total dorks!!!
Old 02-20-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by SAShepherd
Just a heads up -- the order I placed for this (and this only) Monday morning is backordered and hasn't shipped yet. The estimated ship date is "2/18," so who knows when it'll actually ship. You may want to go elsewhere if time is of the essence for you on this.
I don't need this one right away - I've got too much else that I've bought but haven't watched yet. But I am looking forward to getting it. I've been hooked on them ever since I saw "Don't Let's Start" on 120 Minutes ages ago.
Old 02-20-03, 02:01 PM

This is off-topic, but I figure anyone who might be able to answer this is already participating in this thread...

I just saw on TMBG's news website (theymightbegiants.com) that they're selling a CD of rarities from their eMusic days called "They Got Lost." $18 from TMBG's online store only. Anybody have this? This is probably a stupid "preaching-to-the-choir" kind of question, but is it any good? (Yeah, I know, if you've got all their albums, why wouldn't you get this?)
Old 02-20-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SAShepherd
This is off-topic, but I figure anyone who might be able to answer this is already participating in this thread...

I just saw on TMBG's news website (theymightbegiants.com) that they're selling a CD of rarities from their eMusic days called "They Got Lost." $18 from TMBG's online store only. Anybody have this? This is probably a stupid "preaching-to-the-choir" kind of question, but is it any good? (Yeah, I know, if you've got all their albums, why wouldn't you get this?)
I've got "They Got Lost." It's a hit and miss deal. There is some great stuff on there (On The Drag, Words) and some filler. I'd say about 2/3's of it is quality stuff and the rest, especially the McSweeney's stuff, lacks a little. But, if you are a TMBG fan, it's worth it for the good stuff.