Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What bands have you been in?

Old 02-11-03, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What bands have you been in?

I never really venture into this part of the forums because 99% of you don't like the same music I like... plus - I used to write about music all the time in zines (print ones, before the internet), so I'm kinda burned out on talking about it I guess. Anyway - I don't know if or how many times this topic has been brought up, but doing a search wouldn't help (the word "band" just brings up every topic in this forum) and I scanned the first 5 pages of threads and didn't see one already... so I don't know if there's already a topic on this or what. Sorry if there is.

Anyway - I've been in a few bands and I was wondering if anyone else here has been in any? I've been in half a dozen bands, but I only count the ones that played out and put out records. Blofiche (1990-91), Seven Storey Mountain (on and off throughout the 90's), and I was very briefly in a famous band.
Old 02-11-03, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm currently in a project with a friend.

I think I know who the "famous band" in question might be.
Old 02-11-03, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
I'm currently in a project with a friend.

I think I know who the "famous band" in question might be.
well, aren't many famous bands from here. I think someone guessed this before as well like a year ago. What kind of music do you play? I was looking to get something together myself.
Old 02-11-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was in some absolutely HORRIBLE highschool bands...fast, pseudo-punk outfits (and I don't mean Sum 41; we got a lot of influence from groups like Minor Threat and Black Flag). Eventually, I got completely sick of doing that and embarked on a one-man acoustic conceptual project. I had a good idea: segue seven songs into each other that told one story over the course of a week (each song took place over the course of a day). Unfortunately, I never found the time to sit long enough to make 7 songs that all wove into each other. I did get 4, but then it was time for college. Maybe I'll return to that one day.

Not too long I was in another conceptual, guitar-driven duo with a friend from school. We did democratic writing, which was a really different musical experience for me. One of us would kick around a part and then we would build from there, each one of us reacting to what the other did until we had these sweeping, dynamic songs that were just as harmonious as they were dissonant. It was probably the most fun I ever had making music with someone else. Unfortunately, her brother came and took his guitar back, so she has nothing left to play.

Recently, the same girl met a guy that lives in my college town. He has a practice space (very scarce where I am) and meet some musically adept people, so she gave him my number. I don't know what he is shooting for, but apparently his favorite band is Pavement. I don't think I could make up songs like that, but I'm always eager to make music with anyone I can.

I would really love to get into a post-punk band that makes music you can dance too. It wasn't until I came to college that I realized just how much I love dancing!
Old 02-11-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was once a drummer in Spinal Ta . . . *boom*
Old 02-11-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A friend and I in high school said that we'd start a band called Tartar. We never did. Of course, neither of us could play any instruments...

And a friend and I in college formed a ficticious Jewish hair/death metal duo called Porx. But that was just for laughs.

Post-college, some friends and I started an a capella group called Acapellin' It (play on Def Leppard's "Armageddon It"). We never sang any words, just did the percussive parts of songs playing on the radio. Quite badly, I might add.

Ah, good times. But I guess these don't really count.
Old 02-12-03, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My cousin and I were a hiphop duo. I don't know if that counts
Old 02-12-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

None for me, I'd love to someday if I ever learn to play. How funny would that be turning down all that trim every night? My best friend though is currently in a band with a guy who used to be in a band with Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20 before they were conceived. I don't know if that's worth bragging about or not but that's my 3 degrees of famous band fame.
Old 02-12-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Trigger, what band? I can only think of 3 bands that even went national here.

Gin Blossoms
Refreshments
Jimmy Eat World

Is it one of those?
Old 02-12-03, 12:39 PM
Banned

I played in a few bands, but haven't done much since entering college. Sadly, I don't seem to have the time or the will. I barely even pick up my guitars and my amp hasn't been turned on in a long time. Never put out any records (though, I was close once) but I have played infront of a live audience (and I'm not talking about relatives) a few times. Depressing.
Old 02-12-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was a studio/touring musician for LaFace records out of Atlanta and later Arista records out of New York. I am on several albums on the LaFace label and my band backed up the artists when they went out on the road.

When I was living in Chicago I had brief stints with bands like The Blue Meanies and Citizen King out of Wisconsin. I also had my own band Shadow Lives in Chaicago as well.

Now I just play with myself...which also describes my sex life.
Old 02-12-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was in a band called the Stingy Buggers, but we were too cheap to buy instruments so we had to break up. A sad story really.
Old 02-12-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Deftones
Trigger, what band? I can only think of 3 bands that even went national here.

Gin Blossoms
Refreshments
Jimmy Eat World

Is it one of those?
yes, it was.

You're forgetting bands like Meat Puppets and Phunk Junkies.
Old 02-12-03, 04:25 PM
Banned

Don't ever forget about the Meat Puppets! One of my favorite bands of all time. So Trigger, which one was it?
Old 02-12-03, 05:15 PM
Arse Member

Originally posted by Trigger
yes, it was.

I could have sworn that you already said in another thread that you were in Jimmy Eat World...

it could be the crack pipe though
Old 02-12-03, 05:39 PM

I was/in these bands:

Nopy
The Gangrenous Lepers
Old 02-12-03, 06:25 PM
Banned

A few years ago, I was in a project Metalish band called "High Votage". We'd pratice a few times a week, and played at a friends party, but didn't go much father than that. Just faded away from it.
Old 02-12-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk God

yes, it was.

Eh, the Meat Puppets were here and gone in a flash (nationally) and the Phunk Junkeez can suck my balls.

Trigger, my may know I guy I used to work with. He went to High School w/ all the guys in JEW, and is really good friends with them.
Old 02-12-03, 07:17 PM
Banned

Lots.

Peasant Syndrome
Fun With Matches
Boom Box Rangers
Color Forms
etc.
Old 02-12-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was in a couple of bands that were basically a joke.
Greener Heads
Gas House Gorilla's
We would just get drunk and play at parties. Basically just make idiot's of ourselves. I was bass tech for my former roommate. He used to be in Child's Play if anybody remembers them.
Old 02-12-03, 10:11 PM

I've been playin in the same band since my freshmen year of high school (im a senior now).. We've played 40+ shows, but sadly we haven't recorded in the last 2 years (which is when we've evolved the most).

url: http://www.eastbayasd.com
mp3s: http://www.mp3.com/eastbayasd
Old 02-13-03, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the Phunk Junkeez can suck my balls.
I dated one if the singer's sister... I also played a show with them when I was in Seven Storey Mountain.

Trigger, my may know I guy I used to work with.
eh? lol

Yeah - I was in JEW for like not very long. I was their first bass player... it was before they even had a name. I met Tom in college and we became good friends. I left cuz I didn't get along with the drummer. Anyway - yeah, it sucks that they're all famous now. I haven't talked to them in a little over a year now. :/ Last time I saw them was at a Fugazi concert (we were attending, none of us were playing. ) Last time I saw Tom was at the video store down the street... he's a big shot now and he drives a Lexus.
Old 02-13-03, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, aren't many famous bands from here. I think someone guessed this before as well like a year ago. What kind of music do you play? I was looking to get something together myself.
There is literally no cohesion whatsoever.

Some of it has a Mississippi John Hurt vibe, some a latter day Dylan vibe, some a more dissonant instrumental Radiohead vibe. . .

I swear I remember you mentioning the JEW thing before. Still pretty cool.