Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Ramones - which remaster do i buy?

Old 02-06-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Ramones - which remaster do i buy?

first off, i have no Ramones albums

which album is their best single record

which of the remastered is best??

THANKS
Old 02-06-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rocket to Russia is my fave of their regular albums
Old 02-06-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i started with (the remastered) Ramones - Ramones...

a phenomenal album. full of a lot of what are considered their "classic" songs. of course, i liked that album so much, i went out and bought all of their remastered albums at the time: Leave Home, Rocket to Russia, and Road to Ruin - all are great albums.

if you remember the trailer to The Royal Tannenbaums, Wes Anderson (assuming he chose the music for the trailer) used a song from Ramones: "Jackie and Judy".

Ramones also has the song "Blitzkrieg Bop", which starts off with the excellent chant "HEY! HO! LET'S GO!" a fantastic album. i highly recommend starting with Ramones. if you like that enough, move on to the other three i previously mentioned. if you like those enough, you can move on to the other remastered albums put out recently... however, those albums are more radical departures from the stereotypical Ramones sound, in comparison to the four that i have mentioned by name. (i'm too lazy to check out their names... they obviously don't stick out quite as vividly..)
-di doctor-
Old 02-07-03, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Without a doubt, you simply cannot go wrong with either of the first three albums. Road to Ruin is damn good too though. The rest of the catalog is great too, I think, but one should cut their teeth first on the early albums.
Old 02-07-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Their hits collection from 1988, "RamonesMania," is a great place to start. It has all the best songs, and that's where I got my start.
Old 02-07-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You really can't go wrong with any of the available 8 remastered albums. Personally, my favorite Ramones album is the one critics love to hate: "Pleasant Dreams".
Old 02-08-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for all the help. i'll probably go with "The Ramones" remastered and then one of the other two which has like a full concert from 1976 in L.A. on it as bonus tracks.
Old 02-08-03, 02:06 PM

I think that the more you listen to the Ramones the more you like them. I started out somewhat liking them and then after listening to their first 4 albums over and over, they are now one of my favorite groups of all time.
Old 02-12-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

hey FTJMackey, didja get an album? make sure you let us know what you think if/when you do!
-di doctor-
Old 02-12-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ramonesmania -- it's a Best Of