Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

NEX IIe mp3 Player - any thoughts?

Old 02-06-03, 06:47 PM
QjO

NEX IIe mp3 Player - any thoughts?

Hi all - anyone have this player? I've been looking around and it sounds like a spectacular little device - please let me know if you have it, experience with it, best place to purchase, etc.
Old 02-07-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have this player. Let me break it down. It's simple, got lots of features, has a very nice little jog dial (for playing, pausing, and moving back and forth between songs and within a song). Its got pretty good battery life. It lasts me about 2 weeks before I have to change batteries (i listen about 2 hours a day). Also it is like a portable storage device. I can store pictures on it and access them from elsewhere. And the absolute best part about it is that it is completely expandable (memory-wise). It has no built in memory, but I didn't want that either. It takes compact flash cards (easily and cheaply available) and it also takes IBM's microdrive (upto 1gb+). All in all a very good player; I've tested 5 mp3 players (including audiovox, sony and also minidisc players) and the nexiie is my favorite. Frontier labs (who make the product) also put out new firmware this past month and they're good on support too.

The only bad part I found about this player is that it doesn't work properly with some memory cards. My Sandisk 128mb works fine, but with my PNY 128mb card, the nexii only shows 5 of the 12 songs that are on the card. But in the player's defense, it says very clearly on the website that the nexii only works with certain brand memory cards and PNY is not on the list. Also one thing I didn't like was the cable that was included for transferring songs to the player. It's very flimsy and mine twisted just yesterday; so now I can't access my memory card using the cable. I think I have to buy a memory card reader now instead. But that's not the player's fault, it's still a great player. For under $99 shipped at mp3playerstore.com, it's not a bad bargain either. Plus you can use your old memory cards that you used for digicams or such as well.