Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Who else is a fan of Irish Rebel Music?

Old 02-06-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Who else is a fan of Irish Rebel Music?

Here's some bands I like, list some of your favorites:

Eire Og
Jolly Beggarmen
Athenrye
Shebeen
Charlie and the Bhoys
Irish Brigade
Pilgrims
Seanchai
Spirit of Freedom
Spirit of 16'
Fenians

Some good site to check out:

http://www.brazen-head.co.uk/shop/cds.html

http://celtic-lyrics.com/lyrics.php
Old 02-06-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not really sure what it is. I've seen a band called the Fenians.. not sure if its the same guys.

I really like bands like the Pogues and Flogging Molly though.
Old 02-06-03, 04:31 PM

Irish rebel music is lyrics based on Irelands struggle to be free and united. Song range from those dated back over a hundred years, to new songs being written today. Some are more traditional, some are folky, some are in your face, some are punkish, and some (though few) even hip hop.

Those are great bands you mentioned. All three dip into it Shane has a few on his albums as well as when with the pogues (Rising of the Moon, Paddy Public Enemy No.1). The name Fenians is a rebel name which stands for those who have some of the same political beliefs as Sinn Fein (for a united Ireland).

Download some Eire Og and see what you think. They and Shebeen are more upbeat. A lot of it is also recorded live in pubs with the audience singing along and getting nice and rowdy.

Some are harder to find than others. The links I posted, one is a Celtic Supporters (soccer) pub in Glasgow, Scotland. It shows some of the albums, which may help you find more songs if you download. The other site lists a lot of traditional and Irish rebel song lyrics.

Let me know what you think.
Old 02-07-03, 08:43 PM

^
Old 02-08-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last night I saw a man named Mossy Moran play at O'Shaugnessy's Public House in Columbus. The crowd (and I) loved him. He plays there the first Friday of every month. It was interesting to see an Irishman in the heart of the midwest.

As for the question, although I'm a fan of the bands that DC mentioned, I don't know if I'm really a fan of Irish Rebel Music, per se. But Mossy's rendition of "Go On Home British Soldiers" was excellent.
Old 02-08-03, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by DJLinus
. But Mossy's rendition of "Go On Home British Soldiers" was excellent.
That's one of my favorites.

I also love Fields of Athenrye. The live version by Charlie and the Bhoys is excellent.