Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Are these two techno/industiral rock albums any good?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-04-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Due to my recent listening of the mortal kombat soundtrack, I came along two brilliant songs back to back "goodbye" demo by Gravity Kills off of Gravity Kills, and "Juke-Joint-Jezebell" by KMFDM off of Nihil.

How are these two albums? I am looking to "brawden my tastes of music"
Old 02-05-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the gravity kills disc is great. they have that, a remix disc, the perversion album, and superstarved which i havent heard but the debut disc is the best.

nihil is still my favorite kmfdm album to date. (out of 15)
Old 02-05-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
The thing about Gravity Kills is they were a generic St Louis bar band playing 80s and early 90s cover songs until NIN exploded. They changed their sound and with the help of radio DJs in Tulsa, OK had a minor hit. Most industrial fans regard them as a joke and a complete NIN ripoff. Then again, Martin Atkins did some remixes for them, so he either at least respected them or needed the money. I attended a festival they appeared at, and in addition to ripping off NIN's sound (who were by no means original themselves) they completely appropriated Ministry's leather and cowboy look.

Nihil is a great KMFDM album, but I prefer Angst myself. Nihil is much more guitar based than their earlier stuff.

KMFDM - good, Gravity Kills - bad. Just my opinion.
Old 02-05-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree with RevLiver about Gravity Kills. Their songs aren't necessarily bad; they're just generic and uninspired. I've only ever owned 2 KMFDM albums - Angst and Nihil. Nihil was the better of the two. It would be a good purchase and a good introduction to KMFDM.
Old 02-06-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nihil is great, best kmfdm album. Graity Kills i don't really know got thier first album after hearing guilty but that song was the only one i liked. same thing happened for their second, i think. never paid any attention to them again.

check out 16volt. for more electronics try the letdowncrush album. for less electronics try to find supercoolnothing.
Old 02-06-03, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gravity Kills is in the movie Se7en as well, not sure about the soundtrack though. It makes a jarring contrast to Air on G by bach, also featured in se7en
Old 02-07-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks all for the help!