Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Metallica to do a summer stadium tour with Limp and Linkin Park (no info yet)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Metallica to do a summer stadium tour with Limp and Linkin Park (no info yet)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When Metallica origianlly had their Summer Sanitarieum tour, the order went Powerman 5000, System of a Down, Kid Rock, Korn and then Metallica.
Old 02-04-03, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by db27
i've seen metallica 10 times since 1994, the live show is not to be missed.

for those that don't like what they have done over the last few years, then you are missing out on some great music.

some people just don't like to allow a band to grow and change
I'm sorry, and I do not want to come off as an Ahole, but 1994 to now is not the band I knew. I walked out on their 'in the round' show. If you really liked that then you would have creamed before that time, and it was not during the '90's. I do not hate them but they are NOT the same. There is a good reason Newstead (sp?) is not there anymore.

Anyway, not looking foward to this show and would not attend.

Last edited by Flashback; 02-04-03 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-05-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
http://www.billboard.com/billboard/d...ent_id=1810850

Old 02-05-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 151 Posts
So, they're stealing the Ozzfest formula of taking one classic metal band and touring with a bunch of worthless nu-metal bands.

This tour should be called the "Get Your Ass Kicked by a 14-year-old Dickhead Tour".
Old 02-05-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Flashback
I'm sorry, and I do not want to come off as an Ahole, but 1994 to now is not the band I knew. I walked out on their 'in the round' show. If you really liked that then you would have creamed before that time, and it was not during the '90's. I do not hate them but they are NOT the same. There is a good reason Newstead (sp?) is not there anymore.

Anyway, not looking foward to this show and would not attend.
just cuz I found them in 94 doesn't mean that I don't dig ALL of their stuff.

i respect your feelings I simply disagree with them.

how could you walk out on that tour?
Old 02-06-03, 01:53 PM

This shouldn't suprise anybody.... METALLICA has been a commercial, money-making machine for like 10 years now.

More power to them cause they are unsurpassed at it.... I just won't be giving them my money.

Honestly, they haven't been "metal" or "old METALLICA" for so long, I dunno how people still cry "Foul" when they go to a show or buy a disc of theirs.

Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more to see them put out a KICK YOU IN DA FACE, raw album on their next effort (ST. ANGER/ June 10), but I doubt it.
Old 02-06-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I won't be hitting this one. Makes me sad because I love Metallica's live show. I just refuse to sit through the other crap and pay the ticket prices for it.

Mordred
Old 02-06-03, 11:56 PM

I really dislike Limp Bizkit and don't care for Linkin Park. This just seems like a really crappy lineup. However on the Metallica.com website they say that Deftones will be on the bill as well. That is great news!!!

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=670
Old 02-07-03, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Fred Durst sits there and says, "I believe Napster is a great company and we want to go against the record companies..." Who paid for your Nookie video? Who spent $600,000 so you could have a video on MTV that made you sell $8 million dollars? You didn't pay for it yourself." - Lars Ulrich, The Charlie Rose Show, May 12, 2000

Question: Why the hatred of Limp Bizkit?
"Why not? Limp Bizkit are a Motley Crue for the 90's. That is just a *****ing fact and people need to know that. I think the guy's so *****ing contrived and I hate people who are contrived. Although I will have to say that they do some quite infectious things musically, it still seems very swallow to me." - Lars Ulrich, So What - The Metallica Club Magazine, Volume 6, Issue 5. 1999

"I find myself feeling a tremendous amount of hatred towards Limp Bizkit and wanting to shove them back where they came from....All I gotta think of is Fred Dursts' red baseball cap and I get very hostile." - Lars Ulrich, Metallica, So What - The Metallica Club Magazine, Volume 6, Issue 5. 1999

I got those from metal-sludge.com

I think they sum it all up nicely. As far as I am concerned Metallica haven't been around since the Black Album. Actually I blame it all on Bob Rock.
Old 02-07-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by cerial442
"Fred Durst sits there and says, "I believe Napster is a great company and we want to go against the record companies..." Who paid for your Nookie video? Who spent $600,000 so you could have a video on MTV that made you sell $8 million dollars? You didn't pay for it yourself." - Lars Ulrich, The Charlie Rose Show, May 12, 2000

Question: Why the hatred of Limp Bizkit?
"Why not? Limp Bizkit are a Motley Crue for the 90's. That is just a *****ing fact and people need to know that. I think the guy's so *****ing contrived and I hate people who are contrived. Although I will have to say that they do some quite infectious things musically, it still seems very swallow to me." - Lars Ulrich, So What - The Metallica Club Magazine, Volume 6, Issue 5. 1999

"I find myself feeling a tremendous amount of hatred towards Limp Bizkit and wanting to shove them back where they came from....All I gotta think of is Fred Dursts' red baseball cap and I get very hostile." - Lars Ulrich, Metallica, So What - The Metallica Club Magazine, Volume 6, Issue 5. 1999

I got those from metal-sludge.com

I think they sum it all up nicely. As far as I am concerned Metallica haven't been around since the Black Album. Actually I blame it all on Bob Rock.
After reading those quotes, maybe on this tour Lars will just kick Fred Durst's ass and send him back into hiding. That would be funny.
Old 02-07-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cdollaz
After reading those quotes, maybe on this tour Lars will just kick Fred Durst's ass and send him back into hiding. That would be funny.
Maybe both would go into hiding and that would be even funnier!
Old 02-07-03, 10:30 AM

Metallica on Tour with 'Motley Crue for the '90s'

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...c_metallica_dc

Thu Feb 6, 9:30 PM ET

By Phil Gallo

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Back in 1999, Metallica (news - web sites) drummer Lars Ulrich confessed to feeling "a tremendous amount of hatred toward Limp Bizkit."

Now Metallica is hitting the road with Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park for the second Summer Sanitarium tour, which will hit at least 18 U.S. markets this year, beginning July 4.

All three bands will play headline-length sets. Tickets for most of the shows will be going on sale Feb. 22. Mudvayne and the Deftones will be the opening acts.

"We want to play stadiums in the summer, and we need more than just Metallica to fill the seats," Metallica singer-guitarist James Hetfield told Daily Variety.

Filling out the bill are "bands who are available, coming out with records and who want to do this type of show. The whole reason (behind Metallica) is to play live, and I think that's a common thread among all the bands."

There appears to be little in common between Metallica and Limp Bizkit. Ulrich and Limp Bizkit frontman Fred Durst took opposing views in the Napster (news - web sites) debate -- Ulrich opposed the song-swapping site, Durst took Napster's sponsorship money.

In a 1999 interview with Metallica's "So What!" fan club magazine, Ulrich said: "All I gotta think of is Fred Durst's red baseball cap and I get very hostile."

He also described Limp Bizkit as "a Motley Crue for the '90s" and claimed that Durst was "so f---ing contrived and I hate people who are contrived."

A Metallica spokesman said the rift was "ancient history," and the band has much respect for the acts on the bill.

The ink is not yet dry on some contracts so routing has not been finalized. It is expected that the tour will begin in a Midwestern city -- Minneapolis or St. Louis are the likely starters -- and then go from the East Coast to the West.

The three acts will be touring in support of new albums. Metallica's "St. Anger," its first studio disc in five years, will hit stores June 10; Limp Bizkit's "Lessismore" is slated for May; and Linkin Park, whose "Hybrid Nation" was the biggest seller of 2001, has "Meteora" on the March 25 release slate.

"St. Anger" is Metallica's first album without bassist Jason Newsted, who replaced the late Cliff Burton in 1986. Metallica producer Bob Rock plays bass on the new album but won't be touring with the band. Hetfield, Ulrich and guitarist Kirk Hammett continue to interview and jam with potential replacements; there are eight bassists the band members will be meeting with soon.

Metallica's inaugural Summer Sanitarium tour, in 2000, featured Korn, Kid Rock and System of a Down and was one of the year's biggest grossers. The San Francisco band, now in its 22nd year of existence, has been a mainstay of multigroup shows, having toured separately with Van Halen and Guns N' Roses and headlining 1996's Lollapalooza tour.

"I think we're a little more comfortable this time out, but we won't be resting on our laurels," Hetfield said.

Chris
Old 02-07-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like Lars is backpeddling.

Since Metallica fans are going to go no matter what, why not take some newer up and coming bands like Shadows Fall or Killswitch Engage? Seriously if they had a bill that looked like this:

Metallica
Meshuggah
Entombed
Candiria
Shadows Fall
Killswitch Engage

Metallica fans would still go and probably would still pay $50 a ticket. You may have never heard of those bands, but that is the joy of going to shows, hearing new bands.

Plus what the hell are the Deftones doing so low on the bill?
Old 02-07-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cerial442
Sounds like Lars is backpeddling.

Since Metallica fans are going to go no matter what, why not take some newer up and coming bands like Shadows Fall or Killswitch Engage?
Because as Hetfield said, Metallica can't sell out stadiums by itself. I guess they want that intimate feeling of having fans over 100 yards away from the stage
Old 02-07-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dunno, the early Ozzfest's mostly featured bands that were underground at the time, and they sold out the ampitheather/stadiums. I mean Fear Factory was still considered by some to be a death metal band. Plus they had Vision of Disorder and Earth Crisis as featured acts. Coal Chamber headlined the second stage and their first album wasn't out that long.

The only real established acts were Danzig, Sepultura, and Biohazard.

Surely Metallica could sell out these venues. I mean Godsmack toured ampitheathers in 2000.

Hell add some more bands to the lineup I mentioned, and add a second stage and then you have an alternative to Ozzfest.
Old 02-07-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I expect that Metallica will do a typical tour in the fall, this is just a handfull of dates to get back into the swing of things. The last real tour they did was the Summer Sanitarium in 2000 with Korn, Kid Rock, Powerman 5k, and System of a Down.

A lot of this has to do with press and hype, in a marketing way this is a good move for all parties involved. Especially Fred Durst, cuz he is as good as dead. Limp has fallen from grace and fallen hard, without Wes Borland Durst is nothing but a whiner in a Skankees hat.

And I guarantee that Metallica will make these other acts look silly.

Bottom line: as a huge fan of all of their stuff, I'm stoked to see em' live again. Given that they have a bunch of kids, wives, and don't drink anymore, the outlook of them not ever doing live stuff again wasn't far away. So regardless of the bands going out with them, I'll be there, hands raised and head bangin' and it will kick ass. They always deliver in the live show.

No strangers to controversy, this is nothing new.

Summer Sanitarium 2003
Newstead leave
Summer Sanitarium 2000
Napster
Load / Reload
Lollapalooza
The "black" album
The video for "one"

They eat this **** for breakfast!
Old 02-24-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Robert from Ozzy's band is the new bass player for Metallica. More info on the actual concert in 45 min.
Old 02-24-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

tix on sale this sat, 83 bucks general reserved, and that includes parking.
here is a listing of shows
July 4 Detroit, MI Pontiac Silverdome Feb 22
July 6 Foxboro, MA Gillette Stadium Feb 22
July 11 Atlanta, GA Turner Field March 1
July 12 Philadelphia, PA Veterans Stadium March 1
July 13 Orlando, FL Citrus Bowl Feb 22
July 18 Washington, D.C. Fed Ex Field March 1
July 19 Columbus, OH Ohio Stadium Feb 22
July 20 Montreal, Canada TBA March 1
July 25 St. Louis, MO Edward Jones Dome Feb 22
July 27 Minneapolis, MN Metrodome Feb 22
Aug 1 Denver, CO Invesco Field Feb 24
Aug 2 Houston TX Reliant Stadium March 1
Aug 3 Irving TX Texas Stadium Feb 22
Aug 7 Seattle, WA Seahawk Stadium March 1
Aug 9 Los Angeles, CA LA Coliseum March 2
Old 02-24-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
So, they're stealing the Ozzfest formula of taking one classic metal band and touring with a bunch of worthless nu-metal bands.
The Deftones are far from worthless. There is no way in hell I am paying $60+ to see my favorite band, though.
Old 02-24-03, 05:17 PM
Suspended

$83 bucks??!! Deftones are the only band I would want to see on that bill, and there aint no way Im paying that much!
Old 02-24-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by db27
just cuz I found them in 94 doesn't mean that I don't dig ALL of their stuff.

i respect your feelings I simply disagree with them.

how could you walk out on that tour?
Actually that is great. Most fans that came around at that time have no concept of the early stuff. If you still like them enjoy it... and ignore what my opinion is. IMO I just do not agree with a lot of what has happened with them in the last 10 years (many that are well known). Just like I said, my personal opinion. I really do hope they come back with a raw Metallica sound/album that they were known for. Unfortunately with Bob Rock back at the helm this is probably not going to happen. On the bright side, there is so much crap out that this can only be a good thing for others.
Old 02-24-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well check your radio station, the one over here 98 rock decided that every time a metallica song is on, be caller 9 and win tix.
Old 03-03-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
This just in. Tickets have been announced to cost an estimated $100 here in Phoenix. **** that!
Old 03-04-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I certainly won't pay $100 but I'd really like to see this show... I'm not a huge Metallica fan, but Bizkit and Linkin Park put on great live shows...add Mudvayne into the mix and you've got a pretty decent line up....

MATT
Old 03-21-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, now with most dates on sale... anyone going to this??

Even though tickets cost $91CDN, I caved and am checking out the Toronto show... Hopefully the new Metallica and Limp albums will be good.... luckily Linkin, Mudvayne and Deftones should make it worth the money even if those new albums disappoint...

MATT

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.