Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Coming this Fall -- the Beatles Unplugged

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-03, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beatles to Re-Release Stripped Down Album

NEW YORK - The surviving Beatles are planning to re-release "Let It Be" the way they intended: stripped down. The album will have the same track listing, but it will not have the orchestration that producer Phil Spector added to it after the band broke up.

Ringo Starr (news) tells Rolling Stone it will be "de-Spectorized." Starr says it fills his heart with joy to hear it and it's a beautiful CD. The produced version was always a source of irritation to Paul McCartney (news), and Starr says he recently told McCartney how right he was about that.

Starr says George Harrison approved releasing the stripped-down version before his death. The project has been underway for at least two years. The revised "Let It Be" will be out in the fall.

The "Let It Be" movie will also be released on DVD, and this summer the originally 1996 "Beatles Anthology" documentary will also be released on DVD.
Old 02-01-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice...this is great news.

Not sure i'll buy the album again, but I'm sure i'll check out both the DVD's.
Old 02-01-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
John Lennon, on the other hand, loved what Spector had done with the material they recorded so much (he at first hated Let It Be, which is why it was never finished) that he had Spector produce most of his solo material.
Old 02-01-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let It Be is one of my favorite Beatles albums. I would be interested in hearing this alternate version, though.
Old 02-04-03, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ooooh, this *is* good news

In the past when I was a bit of a Beatles collector I got to hear the un-Spectorized versions of both "Across the Universe" and "The Long And Winding Road" and I much preferred them to the stringy, schmaltzy ones we've lived with all this time. I am excited to hear the rest of this album sans Spector's treatments!

-Gunshy
Old 02-04-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Gunshy
Ooooh, this *is* good news

In the past when I was a bit of a Beatles collector I got to hear the un-Spectorized versions of both "Across the Universe" and "The Long And Winding Road" and I much preferred them to the stringy, schmaltzy ones we've lived with all this time. I am excited to hear the rest of this album sans Spector's treatments!

-Gunshy

Sorry...I know it's your screenname, I just found it funny in light of this regarding Phil.
Old 02-04-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. Great news.
Old 02-04-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
To continue the trend of removing murderers, begun with removing Phil Spector from a beatles album, OJ will now be taken out of The Naked Gun and digitally replaced by Jar Jar Binks in all future dvd and vhs pressings.
Old 02-04-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not too familiar with Let It Be, but I love Spector's work on Harrison's masterpiece All Things Must Pass. Alleged murderer though he may be, out-of-fashion producer perhaps, he made that album special and Harrison's re-recording of "My Sweet Lord" just couldn't compare.
Old 02-04-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Jepthah
Not too familiar with Let It Be, but I love Spector's work on Harrison's masterpiece All Things Must Pass. Alleged murderer though he may be, out-of-fashion producer perhaps, he made that album special and Harrison's re-recording of "My Sweet Lord" just couldn't compare.
I've always thought he was a bad guy, from what I've heard alleged about his marriage to Ronnie Spector, but he made some great records.

As far as Let It Be it would be cool if they'd release as a double CD with both versions.
Old 02-04-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Aren't the unorchestrated versions already available on the Anthologies..?

Still, good news. And Let it Be and Anthology being released on DVD is EXCELLENT news.
Old 02-04-03, 11:36 PM

I've had the original 'Stripprd down' version on bootleg for quite awhile.It is far superior to the LIB that we are all familiar with.Once you hear this version you'll never listen to the other again.
Old 02-05-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GuessWho
To continue the trend of removing murderers, begun with removing Phil Spector from a beatles album, OJ will now be taken out of The Naked Gun and digitally replaced by Jar Jar Binks in all future dvd and vhs pressings.
Actually the surviving Beatles were talking about re-issuing "Get Back" ( the original title of Let It Be) and the accompanying film Let It Be on DVD before George Harrison's death in December 2001.
Old 02-06-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think they should be rereleased tinkered-with versions of any albums without Lennon and Harrison having their say.

Bollocks.
Old 02-06-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Is this going to replace the original version, or just supplement it?
Old 02-06-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
I am going to have to buy this.
Old 09-16-03, 01:30 PM

According to Davisdvd:

http://www.davisdvd.com/News/daily_news.htm

Let it Be Naked will come out on Nov. 18, they also talk about Let it Be the movie coming on DVD (but nothing official yet)

Besides for all the awesome DVDs coming out, Nov is gonna be a great music month with this and the Gigantic TMBG Documentry coming out on the same day
Old 09-16-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how different will this sound to the single version of let it be that we hear all the time on the radio.
Old 09-16-03, 09:23 PM

I can't wait for this. Although... did they *really* have to rename it? Sheesh!