DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Nu Metal....bye bye bye? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/266869-nu-metal-bye-bye-bye.html)

MJKTool 01-27-03 10:28 PM

Nu Metal....bye bye bye?

Nu Metal's State of Affairs Article

I say good riddance! :up:

Josh-da-man 01-28-03 01:03 AM

I have to take issue with the whole concept of "nu metal."

If you have a DJ, it ain't metal.

Iron Maiden kicked ass all through the 80s without some loser "scratchin'" around with a record player.

'nuff said.

Lord Crumb 01-28-03 01:55 AM

I'm ambivalent. There's some Nu-metal I like; and some I don't. No big deal, really.

Out of the bands primarily discussed in the article:

Limp Bizkit: Sucks.

Korn: Used to dig 'em, but Untouchables was terrible. And they haven't progressed at all since they're eponymous debut. Actually, I'd say they've regressed.

Papa Roach: Liked the first album; didn't really like the second.

Just my opinions.

Goat3001 01-28-03 02:08 AM

Re: Nu Metal....bye bye bye?

Originally posted by MJKTool

I say good riddance! :up:

:up: :up:

Rogue588 01-28-03 02:16 AM

Quoth Mr. Durst:

""The fact that I am sick of this new rock inspired me to reinvent it and be one of the pioneers," Durst said. "[This is] a stepping stone for our genre, [and we want] to really help contribute to it in a positive way, the same way we contributed to it back in the day. It's time to reinvent and pull a Madonna on everybody."

I know Madonna. I've listened to Madonna. You sir, are NO Madonna.

;)

MJKTool 01-28-03 02:23 AM

Fred Durst :lol:

Goat3001 01-28-03 02:29 AM

Yes its official, Fred Durst = massive tool.

;)

Lord Crumb 01-28-03 03:10 AM

Originally posted by Rogue588
Quoth Mr. Durst:

""The fact that I am sick of this new rock inspired me to reinvent it and be one of the pioneers," Durst said. "[This is] a stepping stone for our genre, [and we want] to really help contribute to it in a positive way, the same way we contributed to it back in the day. It's time to reinvent and pull a Madonna on everybody."

I know Madonna. I've listened to Madonna. You sir, are NO Madonna.

;)

Agreed.

Furthermore, the fact that Durst thinks he's pioneering anything is laughable. From what I've read, this new Bizkit album (which he claims will "reinvent new rock") is going to be another "Papa Roach" style, straight rock album.

How's that innovating anything? The article in question even pointed out several bands that have already taken the same approach with their music.

Yeah, he's definitely a tool.

custom001 01-28-03 03:28 AM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
I have to take issue with the whole concept of "nu metal."

If you have a DJ, it ain't metal.

Iron Maiden kicked ass all through the 80s without some loser "scratchin'" around with a record player.

'nuff said.

I'd disagree.
Slipknot (stupid masks/marketing gag blah blah blah aside) do have a DJ, still, if you strip their music down to its essentials, its still metal, IMHO

Snowmaker 01-28-03 06:20 AM

Originally posted by Goat3001
Yes its official, Fred Durst = massive tool.

;)

He's personally shown it to you?

woofman 01-28-03 06:31 AM

While I'm glad that Nu-metal is on the way out, I'm cautiously wondering what the next trend in mainstream hard rock will be.

Jason 01-28-03 07:41 AM

Can't happen too soon for me. I've heard some interesting stuff from System of a Down, but other than that :down: :down:

Maybe we'll have a return to actual musicianship? Guys who can do more than mash chords? Maybe actually play a solo once in a while? Singers with real range?

Lateralus 01-28-03 09:02 AM

Well Nu Metal is better than No Metal.

Deftones 01-28-03 05:23 PM

Nu metal has been dead for a while. I got out of that scene long ago. The scr-emo movement has been taking off as of late.

custom001 01-29-03 09:36 AM

Originally posted by woofman
While I'm glad that Nu-metal is on the way out, I'm cautiously wondering what the next trend in mainstream hard rock will be.
good point! (nickelback, anyone?)

you're right, btw - slayer rulz ;)

Tarantino 01-30-03 06:01 PM

The garage rock phase is falling out now, too.

Who knows what's next...

Goat3001 01-30-03 11:42 PM

Originally posted by woofman
Pop punk? Bands that sound like Bling 182 and New Found Glory? Who knows.