Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Aerosmith's "Janie" Censored?

Old 01-19-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Aerosmith's "Janie" Censored?

I was driving home yesterday and I heard "Janies Got A Gun" on the radio. It's one of my favorite songs from them. Anyway, towards the end Steve sang "She had to take him down easy and left him in the pouring rain. ". WTF. I checked the song at home just to be sure and sure enough it's Put a bullet in his brain instead. Now I know that IN is a conservative state, but c'mon. Has anyone ever heard that censored version? It's the dumbest thing I heard since Van Morrison "cleaned up" Brown Eyed Girl for his Greatest Hits album, but at least that was his choice.
What are we supposed to think Janie did with the gun, hit him over the head with it?

Last edited by Decker; 01-19-03 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-19-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"and left him in the pouring rain" is how it appears in the Radio Version.

All Aerosmith albums contain the original "put a bullet in his brain"

Radio versions OFTEN differ from the album versions:
---Def Leppard's "Rocket" & Aerosmith's "Love in an Elevator" are cut shorter for radio---Bon Jovi's current single "Misunderstood" has extra echo effects and drum beats on the radio version
---Rap songs take out the swaer words in radio versions
---Until she came out with her "international version" of the album "Come On Over" even Shania Twain had 2 versions of that album's songs... the original (country) version which appeared on the CD and the "pop" versions which played on non-country stations.
Old 01-19-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the answer. That's just silly, though. I guess most radio stations play the album cut, because I'd never heard that version before.
The music video uses the album version, right?
Old 01-19-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Decker
I guess most radio stations play the album cut, because I'd never heard that version before.
That depends... some radio stations will play their CD of "Pump" while others will play the promo single of JGAG (which would be the radio version) given to them by the label back when the song was making a top 40 run.
Old 01-19-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Whats the 'clean' version of Brown Eyed Girl?

I've only heard that song on the radio & am ot sure if they're playing the original album version or GH"s release.

As for Janie...up until recently i was completely unaware of what the song was really about.This guy at work who's a major fan said it involved incest & sexual abuse by the girls father,thus she kills him.

I think the video may have been edited on tv to take out those portions since ever since i first saw the video.It appeared to me that the girl was mad at some guy for cheating on her,at least thats how it looked & me being a naive kid didn't get it.
Old 01-19-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Julie Walker
Whats the 'clean' version of Brown Eyed Girl?

I've only heard that song on the radio & am ot sure if they're playing the original album version or GH"s release.

In the GH version, they have "cut and pasted" the phrase "laughin and a-runnin" from verse one and put it over "makin' love in the green grass" from verse two. This is what happens when you get religious

As far as the video for Janie, I think it was made pretty clear about what was going on with flashbacks and such, but it's been a long while since I've seen it.
Old 01-19-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All radio versions that I have heard do the "Bullet in the Brain" line.
Old 01-20-03, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Decker
In the GH version, they have "cut and pasted" the phrase "laughin and a-runnin" from verse one and put it over "makin' love in the green grass" from verse two. This is what happens when you get religious

Well i've heard the original version then

Man i find it funny how so uptight certain people get over sex based on religion when if you listen to the song itself.It's not being 'ammoral' or anything but pretty sweet & nostalgic.Guess thats a no no to them though?

As far as the video for Janie, I think it was made pretty clear about what was going on with flashbacks and such, but it's been a long while since I've seen it.

Well i remember being 9 when it came out.Heard vague bits of some controvery over it & saw the video never really getting what it was about.

Over the years as much as i loved the song & saw the video a few times.Never put much thought into it.

Then when the guy mentions it at work i was like "Woah...i didn't realize that!"

So i did listen to it again since he said to pay close attention to the lyrics & i did.While i could never fully hear some of the lyrics because of the music blaring & everything.It should have been so obvious when he metions Dad,being such a sleaze,no one believes me the mans got to be insannnnnnne & so on & so on.

Of course it all flew over my head since alot of times if the music is awsome & pulls you in like that song does.I end up just trancing out in away & thinking "This song is awsome!".

I don't know if the video was edited or not.Upon seeing it recently on Vh1 Classic before i found out what it was about.I still didn't put two & two together,lol.I'll check one more time if i ever see it on.

Though i wil admit the video is a classic & the picture,editing & everything go together with the sound perfectly captureing at least some sort of emotionaly response you get from listening to the song.

In fact more proof of why video's today despite all the jazzy editing,camera angles & so on feel so empty since they never fit the song or what it's about.

Though there were a few times when i did wonder about the sex abuse part then kind of said 'naw' since i was still unsure.Yet at one point i thought "wait is that his daughter,she appears alittle younger than him,teens at least..no way they could be dating seriously..& who's that older lady in the picture? Must be the mom,why does she look ashamed at one point?" ect ect..yet i never really thought "Thats it!!!" since this was a pretty taboo subject that was never talked about in school,on tv or with family all through out high school at least i was never confronted with the issue,thus just went about things as usual.

Oh yeah MTV2 actually had a top 20 Most Controversial Video's countdown months back.They actually aired them completely uncut & uncensored.Well only two or three of the videos where still censored since a uncut verson may not have been made for obvious reasons.They were D-12 Purple Hills(real title Purple Pills) & a dumb Naz/Puff Daddy song. Anyway i finnaly saw Pearl Jams Jeremy uncut & wow what a great video. It's more intense with more flashes of the kid screaming in a firey glow & then theres the major deletions of the class doing a nazi salute showing Jeremy in the back watching & of course where he puts the gun in his mouth & commits suicide(offscreen). In the cut version,they crop off the picture of him pulling the gun out of his pants & then zoom in unnaturally close to his face that only his eyes cover the screen.

Great video & so much better uncut.Yet MTV"s to conservative which is surprising cosidering the crap they air.

Also NIN's Closer is pretty explicit & so much more disturbing uncut.

The most pathetic controversial video was George Micheals "I Want Your Sex".I see nothing wrong with the video,it's tame as hell with no nudity of anything objectionable.Yet MTV thought it was to much that there was alot of fogging,footage taken out & replaced & so on.

Though this got me thinking.If MTV2 was able to air most of the video's uncut late at night was the only time they showed them.Why not create a uncut show that runs a few hours or so durring the after hours to air uncut videos?

Last edited by Julie Walker; 01-20-03 at 07:24 AM.