Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Metal/Glam Rock bands that are all but forgotten?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Metal/Glam Rock bands that are all but forgotten?

Old 01-26-03, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by GuessWho
<--- loved Scatterbrain
Scatterbrain was cool! I once won a "Don't Call Me Dude" T-Shirt from Z-Rock (are they still around?) for naming all the classic licks they played in their song "Down With The Ship".
Old 01-26-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by sandman642
Wasn't OFR actually an album from Michael Angelo's band Nitro?

Oh, yes. Almost forgot about them.

Gloriously awful hair metal.
Old 01-26-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was always a big fan of the Bullet Boys and Kix.
Old 01-28-03, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kix - Blow My Fuse is still one of my regular CDs in my circulation. That album just kicks @$$!

I almost forgot about Scatterbrain. I used to have Scamboogery. I have a few of their songs on CDs I've made.
Old 01-28-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't seen Johnny Crash, Electric Angels or Shotgun Messiah mentioned yet...

Last edited by Gdrlv; 01-28-03 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-28-03, 11:10 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Snowmaker
Kix - Blow My Fuse is still one of my regular CDs in my circulation. That album just kicks @$$!
I agree, I have always loved this CD. Cold Blood is my favorite song off this CD.
Old 01-29-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool
I agree, I have always loved this CD. Cold Blood is my favorite song off this CD.
They were also a very good live band back 'in the day'.
Old 01-29-03, 02:08 PM

Steve Whiteman is still playing around the Baltimore area in a band called Funny Money. I think they still play Kix songs. Kix also released an album last year. I think it's just a best of though.
Old 01-29-03, 03:58 PM
Banned

anybody remember:

LIZZY BORDEN
ICON
MCALPINE
Y&T

Also, does QUEENSRYCE considered obscure?
Old 01-30-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still listen to White Lion all the time.

I can't get enough of Vito Bratta's guitar playing.
Old 01-30-03, 11:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Four pages and no mention of Blue Murder. Guess they really were forgotten... Too bad, because I thought it was a pretty strong album. I believe the video they made was for Valley Of The Kings.
Old 01-30-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mazinger

Vito Bratta was a genius on guitar and probably the most inventive player to come along since Eddie Van Halen (who I really don't like that much). Even if you think White Lions music was cheesy or lame, it's worth listening to just for Bratta's guitar work. Funny thing was he never looked comfortable with his fame. I have some old guitar magazines from back in the day and he looks almost scared to be photographed. I wonder how he was on stage.

When they broke up, the guy seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth. I heard that he had given up guitar and started an internet company but I have no idea if that's true or not.

Mordred
Old 01-30-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mordred
Vito Bratta was a genius on guitar and probably the most inventive player to come along since Eddie Van Halen (who I really don't like that much). Even if you think White Lions music was cheesy or lame, it's worth listening to just for Bratta's guitar work. Funny thing was he never looked comfortable with his fame. I have some old guitar magazines from back in the day and he looks almost scared to be photographed. I wonder how he was on stage.

When they broke up, the guy seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth. I heard that he had given up guitar and started an internet company but I have no idea if that's true or not.

Mordred
I heard he doesn't play anymore, which is a shame because he did have his own sound.

I agree that lyrics were cheezy. Blame Mike Tramp on that one.

He was actually great on stage. He isn't the kind who would jump and run around though. Very laid back.
Old 01-30-03, 12:48 PM

Anybody say White Lion yet?
Old 01-30-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that lyrics were cheezy. Blame Mike Tramp on that one.

He was actually great on stage. He isn't the kind who would jump and run around though. Very laid back.
I'm actually a fan of Mike Tramp, maybe not the best lyricist but he had a nice sound.

After White Lion he was with a band called Freaks of Nature (did I mention them in the obscure category?) that had two very hard to find albums. Decent stuff, but they didn't have a Vito Bratta to push it over the top. He released a solo album in the late 90s which was more for the coffee house set. Very laid back, but not terrible. He also released an album of himself and another guitarist doing White Lion covers acoustically. That one wasn't so hot

Mordred
Old 01-30-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have his Carpicorn CD and it's ok. I just can't get into his vocals now. It seemed to change throughout their few albums.
Old 01-30-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh yeah...speaking of guitarist. Anyone remember Badlands with Jake E. Lee?
Old 01-30-03, 02:33 PM
Suspended

How about Tesla? They were on of my favorite guitar bands back in the day, very talented band.
Old 01-30-03, 05:59 PM

Vito (like Reb Beach of Winger) made an otherwise mediocre band sound good. He reminded me a lot of Nuno Bettencourt of Extreme. (Is that Extreme's first mention here? This thread is getting long...)

Originally posted by bralph
Four pages and no mention of Blue Murder. Guess they really were forgotten... Too bad, because I thought it was a pretty strong album. I believe the video they made was for Valley Of The Kings.
Blue Murder was a great band - how could you go wrong with John Sykes and Carmine Appice?! From what I remember, their big hit was called Jelly Roll.

Oh yeah...speaking of guitarist. Anyone remember Badlands with Jake E. Lee?
These guys were INCREDIBLE. I was fortunate enough to see them live twice. Too bad Ray Gillen is no longer with us And what the hell is Jake E. Lee up to nowadays? I know he had a solo album in 2000 (Fine Pink Mist), but haven't heard from him since...

How about Tesla? They were on of my favorite guitar bands back in the day, very talented band.
Another kicka$$ band - one of my favorites! Mechanical Resonance was solid from start to finish, especially Comin' Atcha Live and 2 Late 4 Love.

- sandman642 (rummaging through stacks of CDs to find Mechanical Resonance...)
Old 01-30-03, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sandman642
Blue Murder was a great band - how could you go wrong with John Sykes and Carmine Appice?! From what I remember, their big hit was called Jelly Roll.
Yeah that was their hit. They also had an album that came out around '93 I guess featuring the song "We All Fall Down" which got a lot of airplay on Z-Rock.

Sykes is amazing. Any guy who's credit's include Whitesnake, Blue Murder, Tygers of Pan Tang and Thin Lizzy has got to be.

Mordred
Old 01-31-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"The Five Man Acoustical Jam" has a permanent place in my home cd changer. It's one of my favorite live albums.
Old 01-31-03, 01:32 PM
Suspended

"The Five Man Acoustical Jam" has a permanent place in my home cd changer. It's one of my favorite live albums.
I dont know if you know or not, but this is available on DVD now. Its not the best of video quality (never was) but it still is awesome. When they kick in those electric guitars on "Love Song" it still gives me chills. Awesome performance
Old 01-31-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Badlands was one of the most criminally overlooked bands of all time (thanks to being undersupported by their record company).

Their 3rd album (Dusk) came out a couple of years ago (which was made up of fleshed out demos), and even if it wasn't as good as the first two it was still a solid album (and the sound quality was top notch, surprising since the recordings did start out as demos).

Badlands - S/T
Badlands - Voodoo Highway

Both of those are "must have's" if you like gritty, bluesy Hard Rock with a bit of a Metal edge.
Old 01-31-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont know if you know or not, but this is available on DVD now. Its not the best of video quality (never was) but it still is awesome. When they kick in those electric guitars on "Love Song" it still gives me chills. Awesome performance
No I didn't. Thanks!

I'll be picking this up.
Old 01-31-03, 05:57 PM

OK, I wouldn't really call these bands "glam", but how about...

Overkill - I played the SH*T out of "Taking Over"
Flotsam & Jetsam - "No Place For Disgrace" was a killer album
Heathen - already mentioned, but I really liked these guys
Exodus
Venom

hmmmm, time to go dig through my collection of cassettes gathering dust in the corner....

Last edited by Mr_Shred; 01-31-03 at 05:59 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.