DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Bands to Look Out For (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/263854-bands-look-out.html)

RomperStomper 01-14-03 02:58 PM

Bands to Look Out For

There are a few recomendations on my list, first and foremost, The Transplants. For those of you who havnt already heard of them, you will soon. It dissapoints me to see Tim in band that is centered around so much hatred, but they make good music non-the-less.

Second is One Man Army. They have been one of my favorite bands for a long time, and even though I don't think they will go big anytime soon, they are gonna be around for a while, and they kick ass.

Dillinger Four has been around for a little bit longer than the other two, but they are certainly here to stay. At first listening, you may find them to sound similar to every other Garage Punk band out there, but listen more carefully, you'll get hooked just like I did.

Last is The Strokes, i'm sure everyone knows them, I wasn't too big of a fan when I first heard them, but they've impressed me very much lately, or maybe i'm just a sucker for a good ol' rock n roll. I can tell they have many more tricks up their sleeve that will keep them going for years to come.

dulli 01-14-03 04:13 PM

Re: Bands to Look Out For

Originally posted by RomperStomper
It dissapoints me to see Tim in band that is centered around so much hatred, but they make good music non-the-less.
how so?

El Scorcho 01-16-03 11:13 AM

That Transplants CD sucks ass. I gave it a whirl a couple nights ago. Garbage.

One Man Army and Dilinger Four are great though.

dulli 01-16-03 11:19 AM

one man army was going to open for alkaline trio...

*grumble*

cdollaz 01-16-03 01:00 PM

Who is Tim?

dulli 01-16-03 01:37 PM

tim armstrong of rancid and operation ivy

El Scorcho 01-16-03 04:29 PM

Last time I talked to the Ataris, One Man Army was scheduled to be their opening act in March/April.

dulli 01-16-03 04:36 PM

cool.

gave anywhere but here another listen today... good stuff...

The Bus 01-16-03 04:49 PM

Some bands which have gotten more than the average spin lately.

Placebo. For those of you who think (good) glam(ish) rock is dead, you're wrong! Placebo has had three albums, last one being 2000's Black Market Music, which is their most hit-and-miss. Brian Molko's voice is stunning, although some call it annoying. He's got a little Wayne Coyne thing going for him where either you like it or you think it's awful. Been listening to some sort of Placebo at least once a week for the past 2 years.

Air. French moody electronica. While I haven't checked out Moon Safari (I know, I should!) or their latest, I do have all their works from the Virgin Suicides OST as well as the exceedingly amazing Premiers Symptomes EP (the Japanese import I have has a remix by Money Mark). Been listening to Air off and on for the past 2 years, with Premiers Symptomes getting heavy play in the past week.

sebastianv50 01-16-03 05:53 PM

This band The Garage out of New Orleans is really good. I've seem them play live at some local venues. They have the potential to hit it big.

nodeerforamonth 01-16-03 06:01 PM

Dillinger Four is amazing. I've been listening to punk rock for almost 20 years now and they are probably the best punk rock band I've ever heard (or pretty damn close to the best punk rock band I've ever head! Time will tell...)

Giantrobo 01-16-03 11:43 PM

KITTIE

I know there's an "auto-hate" response for this group(now a duo) but if they can stick it out, when they get older their music will be even better than it already is. I heard much growth on their second CD so I have every reason to belive this will happen.

Frank TJ Mackey 01-17-03 07:38 PM

the soundtrack of our lives

Goat3001 01-17-03 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
KITTIE

I know there's an "auto-hate" response for this group(now a duo) but if they can stick it out, when they get older their music will be even better than it already is. I heard much growth on their second CD so I have every reason to belive this will happen.

I saw the oppisite. IMO their first cd was terrible, the second was much worse.

Giantrobo 01-17-03 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Goat3001
I saw the oppisite. IMO their first cd was terrible, the second was much worse.
to each their own....

Pillowhead 01-18-03 12:28 AM

Year of the Rabbit

www.yearoftherabbit.net

The frontman is ex-Failure (Ken Andrews) the drummer is from Shiner. This band sounds a lot like Failure which is a good thing. They are in the space rock genre so if you like bands like Failure you'll dig YOTR.