DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   New Madonna album due in April. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/263710-new-madonna-album-due-april.html)

Rogue588 01-14-03 12:18 AM

New Madonna album due in April.

Madonna Follows Spiritual Muse For New Album

Before she released Ray of Light in 1998, Madonna revealed she had developed an interest in Kabbalah, a mystical sect of Judaism. The news was greeted with skepticism by some who had watched the business-savvy pop star embrace and discard materialism, eroticism and high culture. But Madonna's spiritual awakening seems to be for real.

She's taken to wearing a Jewish star and has encouraged her husband, Guy Ritchie, to explore the religion's teachings. And she recently told talk show host Larry King that she wanted to give her next album, due in April, a Hebrew name. At the time she was favoring Ein Sof, which means endlessness. Madonna's publicist said the album title is still undetermined and that there's a good chance it won't be in Hebrew.

The record is being co-produced by Madonna with Mirwais Ahmadzai, who manned the boards for 2000's Music and "Die Another Day," the lead track for the recent James Bond film of the same name. The first single will be "American Life," and the album may also contain a song co-written by Guy Sigsworth, Gem Jones and Jacques Lu Cont (a.k.a. Les Rythmes Digitales), who was Madonna's musical director and keyboardist during the Drowned World Tour.

Songs on the record will feature electronic instrumentation, but the vibe is "very, very different" from anything Madonna has released, the publicist said.

Photographer Craig McDean has conducted a shoot for the album art, but Madonna hasn't decided whether to use the images. The publicist could not reveal additional track titles, but said a video for "American Life" will not be shot by Jonas Akerlund, contrary to a report on Madonna's Web site.

Jepthah 01-14-03 01:49 AM

[rant]

I said it innumerable times, and I say it again:

GO AWAY, MADONNA. RETIRE.

You've already taken a steaming dump on movies and popular music for the past 20 years, now you have to include esoteric religious teachings (which I doubt you actually understand or practice) too? -rolleyes-

Whoever gave you that Napoleon complex when you were a kid will burn in hell and then you'll see them there.

[/rant]

The Bus 01-14-03 08:00 AM

As poor as some of Madonna's recent stuff has been, her music is still better than the Spears and Aguileras and Shakiras of today. Sure, it's the lesser of two horrible, horrible, evils, but that's pop music for ya.

LiquidSky 01-14-03 08:07 AM

I wonder if she will make Ritchie be circumcised. :)

DrRingDing 01-14-03 05:19 PM

Originally posted by LiquidSky
I wonder if she will make Ritchie be circumcised. :)
as in, she would perform the operation herself?!

(i'm thinking that you meant "get circumsized", but you may also have meant it as it's written... ?!)

either way, it would be kinda funny if she were to be the one to circumsize her husband...
-di doctor-

MJKTool 01-14-03 05:26 PM

Originally posted by The Bus
As poor as some of Madonna's recent stuff has been, her music is still better than the Spears and Aguileras and Shakiras of today. Sure, it's the lesser of two horrible, horrible, evils, but that's pop music for ya.
I'd have to agree with ya on this one. I'll take Madonna's music anyday over any of the new pop music out there today.

kcdny 01-15-03 11:37 AM

April 1st I hope, only a fool would buy it. Nothing personal against Madonna. But nobody is worth their name anymore. It could very be a great album. But the market is different today. Not many ppl still buy music. There is also some stuff I wouldnt be caught dead even "downloading" :lol: but that is just me. Just haven't liked the stuff Madonna has put out in years.

tboogie 01-15-03 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Jepthah
[rant]

I said it innumerable times, and I say it again:

GO AWAY, MADONNA. RETIRE.

You've already taken a steaming dump on movies and popular music for the past 20 years, now you have to include esoteric religious teachings (which I doubt you actually understand or practice) too? -rolleyes-

Whoever gave you that Napoleon complex when you were a kid will burn in hell and then you'll see them there.

[/rant]

Madonna has been practicing the Kaballah since about 1998 when Ray of Light was released.

I thoroughly enjoy Madonna's music--she's still interesting and relevant despite what you may think. I believe there are a lot of people that feel this way, especially in light of the recent releases of people like Britney Spears, etc.

As far as films go, I don't think she has the acting ability to carry a movie. Her characters come off extremely flat and uninteresting. She should stick to cameos only.

Jepthah 01-15-03 01:11 PM

Not so fast:

Music superstar Madonna has been ordered by her record company to re- record her new album - because it's too extreme. The pop queen has been forced to return to her Los Angeles recording studio with producer pal Mirwais after label Warners warned her the LP's electro-pop sound is over the top. A source close to the singer tells British tabloid the Daily Mirror, "Madonna feels like she delivered her best album yet last week but the record label have insisted that the material needs to be changed. They really liked what they heard and it's another example of Madonna reinventing herself. But the problem is that it's too avant-garde to be a commercial success. She had used far too many electronic synthesizers on her voice and had morphed a lot of her vocals to sound like a robot. There was even a 12 minute long track. She was reluctant, but in the end has no choice but to go back to square one." The LP - Madonna's tenth studio recording - has reportedly been provisionally titled Ein Sof, Hebrew for "Endlessness."

(from www.imdb.com)

Things are tough for Miss M if even her record company is telling her what to do in the studio.

To think I actually kinda agree (in the abstract) with a record label...and to think that Madonna is adding 'pretentious' to her roster of unflattering characteristics. :lol:

As to the Kabbalah, -rolleyes- Madonna's indoctrination into it is about as deep as a toilet, I guarantee you.

tboogie 01-15-03 02:12 PM

No disrespect, but if you dislike her work, then why do you research and post on it?

I'm not trying to antagonize you, I would really like to know.

LiquidSky 01-15-03 02:25 PM

Hmmmmm. I can't really imagine someone bossing Madonna around. I wonder if this story is true.

Jepthah 01-15-03 04:40 PM

Originally posted by tboogie
No disrespect, but if you dislike her work, then why do you research and post on it?

I'm not trying to antagonize you, I would really like to know.

No disrespect or offense taken. It's possible to be fascinated by something you hate. It's a timewaster, I know. :)

Madonna is for me the epitome (and has been for more than 20 years) of what is wrong with popular music. If she were only funny (intentional or not) instead of dull and incompetently offensive, I might actually have some love for the lady. I do admire her business acumen, although I refer to it more as "pimping on herself."

And I didn't "research" that news item, I happened to see it (you know how we browse these days with multiple windows) and posted it in this thread. Took virtually no time at all.

big whoppa 01-21-03 08:45 AM

Her album should be on Maverick, the label Madonna created. So, she should have the creative freedom to do as she likes. As for her music, it's been going downhill since "Ray of Life" AFAIC.

conscience 01-21-03 09:11 PM

New Madonna album due in April.

rotfl

Wormwood 01-22-03 01:04 PM

I'm very much looking forward to it. Btw, her last album "Music" just happens to be my favorite.

Chuck L 01-22-03 03:17 PM

I have been a long term Madonna fan since she arrived in the music world in 1982. I honestly have to say that her two least favorite albums of mine are "Like A Virgin" and "Music." "Music" suffered because it followed a album that was not only brillant, but served as a personal notch in her life.

While I agree that her music isn't what it used to be, I do look forward to the new album and hope that it goes in the same direction that "Ray of Light" and serves as an extension of that album.

In other words...let's not have a retread of the last piece of tripe that came out!

As for those that want to bring her cinema life into this thread...isn't this the MUSIC forum and not film? Put your movie thoughts there regarding Madonna, not here...

Chrisedge 01-24-03 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Jepthah
Madonna is for me the epitome (and has been for more than 20 years) of what is wrong with popular music. If she were only funny (intentional or not) instead of dull and incompetently offensive, I might actually have some love for the lady. I do admire her business acumen, although I refer to it more as "pimping on herself."
Just for reference sake, could you let me know what "right" in the music business?

While I'm not a huge Madonna fan (my wife is though) I do feel she is a stellar performer (I have seen over 250 concerts, 150 bands) and she would rate in the top 5 shows I've ever seen. She has consistanly made herself "relevant" and hasn't released 10 albums that sound all alike. So while you may not like her, I can't see how you can claim she's "What's wrong with popular music"