DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   What music magazines do you like? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/263282-what-music-magazines-do-you-like.html)

tboogie 01-12-03 09:11 AM

What music magazines do you like?

I used to read Rolling Stone faithfully, then Vibe for more Hip Hop news. I've also picked up Blender and URB a couple of times, but I just can't seem to find one that I"m happy with. What do you guys suggest?

emanon 01-12-03 09:26 AM

Subscribed to Rolling Stone for at least 10-12 years - I've recently decided I'll never pay them for a sub again.

Just got a free sub to Blender - only two issues in, so far, but I enjoy it...at least more than RS, which I hardly ever seem to even open anymore.

Jason 01-12-03 10:39 AM

For some reason, I'm getting Blender magazine for free.

After reading several issues, I weep for the youth culture of America.

tboogie 01-12-03 11:25 AM

Yeah, I got a free subscription to Blender somehow as well. I don't care much for it. Besides, it seems like a guy magazine.

Frank TJ Mackey 01-12-03 02:28 PM

I still like Rolling Stone and occaisionally they'll have a good human interest story but it's getting weaker.

I always read The Source.

shanester 01-12-03 02:31 PM

Where is People & Entertainment Weekly on your list??...

Those are my 2 favorites of all time behind TVGUIDE's FALL PREVIEW of course..:)

Giles 01-12-03 02:36 PM

I picked Other even though most my favourite mags are from the UK:

Q
Mojo
Muzik
Mixmag
Uncut
Jockey Slut

stateside, hmm... I don't know...

Penny Lane 01-12-03 10:08 PM

Uncut is, hands down, the best music mag I've ever read. I cannot tell you how much I want a subscription to it, nor can I describe to you how little I can afford it. It's pretty expensive, something like $90 for a year.

I am thinking about doing the website thing like everyone's favorite "Karyn" so I can take donations for a subscription. -ptth-

fallow 01-13-03 12:37 AM

The only one I keep up with is Pitchfork Media. Its an online publication - or atleast I don't know of a paper one.

Occasionally I flip through SPIN but it doesn't perk my interest that much. Same with Rolling Stone and the others.

woofman 01-13-03 06:30 AM

I like Revolver-but it is starting to become more mainstream oriented. I also look at Blender & Rolling Stone-but only because the subscriptions were free. :)

Wallet Boy 01-13-03 09:31 AM

re:

Classic Rock from the UK. Thats all I need.

grunter 01-13-03 11:08 AM

Although I have subscriptions to "Spin" and "Rolling Stone" - that's mostly because they're easy to get for fractions of the regular cover price.

I prefer to read "Q," "Mojo" and "Ice." However, I rarely purchase these magazines since the "import" status of the titles (or the small press status of "Ice" I guess) somehow gives Borders and Barnes & Noble free reign to charge 2 and 3 times the actual cost of the 'zine to us here in the U.S.

I was a big fan of "Revolver" the first year they were in circulation as a quarterly 'zine. Y'know before they turned into Nu Metal monthly - when Jim Morrison was on the cover and when they featured a mix of classic rock and modern day up-and-comers. Nowadays they seem to feature either Slipknot or Mudvayne on the cover virtually every month.

In general, the lack of quality in music magazines pretty much parallels the music industry's nose-dive into commercial corporate driven dreck.

Tscott 01-13-03 11:55 AM

I've only come across a couple issues so far, but No Depression is a pretty good magazine.

benedict 01-13-03 12:18 PM

<small>

Originally posted by Wallet Boy
Classic Rock from the UK. Thats all I need.
</small> :up: Me too, although I flick through Mojo when I am at my brother's place.

Nothing much there yet, but they are planning a website: http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/

Da Thrilla 01-13-03 12:33 PM

Blender
Rolling Stone

the narrator 01-13-03 12:46 PM

i read Blender

The Bus 01-13-03 01:46 PM

I've stopped reading magazines for a while now. All my music goes by word of mouth with occasional insight by AMG.

darqleo 01-13-03 04:54 PM

Outburn Magazine

freedexter 01-13-03 06:08 PM

I like Spin, but I don't have a subscription to it. Blender is a good subsitute, and free, too.

I get two issues of Rolling Stone each month. A PITA, since I guess during one of those free offers, I switched the numbers of my house around, and so, each month until around 2004, I'm going to get two copies of Rolling Stone, since I can't find any contact information on their website. :mad:

boc4ever 01-13-03 11:11 PM

I also snagged a free subscription to Blender, and I actually look forward to getting it. I'm actually considering paying for it when the subscription runs out...

RomperStomper 01-13-03 11:14 PM

Alternative Press

flabio 01-14-03 01:44 AM

blender

DumDum 01-14-03 03:27 PM

Spin

The Antipodean 01-16-03 07:26 PM

I'm enjoying Blender, which I just subscribed to. Sure, a little frivolous and too much emphasis on the MAXIM-style spreads of half-naked chicks but for the most part their articles are interesting to read and I like how they cover all types of hip music rather than just a few genres. I gave up on RS years ago and Spin is just pretentious garbage too much of the time, Blender's cheap and gives me my monthly music fix in an entertaining fashion.